2.22.2016

NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint Does Matte Skin the Right Way

Despite some of their base products having a cult following, I've never fallen in love with any of NARS' foundation offerings in the past. My skin got very shiny with Sheer Glow (although this was years back when my skin was much oilier than it is now) and All Day Luminous clung to dry patches I didn't even know I had. I'd been meaning to try their Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer, but when I saw NARS' newest release, Velvet Matte Skin Tint, it had my name written all over it.
After studying swatches online, I was afraid I might not be able to find the perfect match for me within the shade range, however, Alaska turned out to be a great match, in both depth of shade and undertone. 

Although marketed as more of a tinted moisturizer type of product than a true foundation, Velvet Matte Skin Tint has a thicker consistency with solid, medium coverage that is more reminiscent of a foundation. Because of this, I don't prefer to apply it with fingers, as you often can with tinted moisturizers, because I think the product really benefits from, and almost requires, a brush and/or damp beauty blender to thoroughly buff the product into the skin.

NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint in Alaska
Below, I'm wearing just one layer of product. You can gauge the coverage of it by the redness around my nose and the monstrosity on my chin. I really don't need much concealer when I wear this base. Despite the higher pigmentation, Velvet Matte Skin Tint doesn't look heavy or cakey on the skin, and the finish is more of a soft matte than a powdery, true matte. It has excellent oil-controlling properties that allow me to get away with being able to blot less often than usual, and at the end of the day, I notice the product doesn't break down in my oilier areas like most foundations do.

Bare skin (left) and with NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint in Alaska
On this particular day, I skipped the powder altogether and I applied a touch of highlighter on my cheekbones. The shine on my nose is all me (that has always been my oiliest area). I think you can really appreciate the true finish of the Velvet Matte Skin Tint here. It's a soft, natural looking matte that doesn't make the skin look flat or weighed down. It's a pretty fantastic base, and I've been using it exclusively since it came home with me.

I have to say, my love for the Velvet Matte Skin Tint more than makes up for my disappointment following the All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation. For those who have normal to oily skin types and favor products with a respectable amount of coverage, this will be right up your alley. Prepare to be impressed by how well this wears throughout the day. I know I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...