9.03.2015

Chiseling Out Those Cheekbones with glo minerals

Although I enjoy contouring, I felt overwhelmed by the six and eight-pan contouring palettes on the market. Truthfully, I think those are better suited for makeup artists than simply another makeup wearer, such as myself. When glo minerals released their four-pan palette earlier this week, I had high hopes this one could be juuuuust right.

glo minerals Contour Kit in Medium to Dark
glo minerals Contour Kit ($36) comes in two shade palettes: Fair to Light and Medium to Dark. I wasn't sure which would be better suited to my light/medium complexion, but I was sent the Medium to Dark palette, and it's perfect. It includes two highlight shades, a matte, pale yellow and a pearly champagne beige, and two matte contour shades, a cool taupe and a warm terracotta brown. The contour shades are both very pigmented but still blendable, while the matte highlight shade is more easy to sheer out (a good thing, in this case) and doesn't look chalky, and the shimmery highlight can tend to appear a bit chunky in the pan and heavy swatch, but rest assured, it blends into the skin seamlessly.

I've always wanted to try a banana powder, so I was ecstatic to see one in this kit. I've been using it to set my under-eye concealer, and its subtle brightening properties make me instantly appear more awake and wide-eyed. The pale yellow keeps it from appearing too stark or artificial. The shimmery highlight is beautiful. Especially since I have a warmer, yellow-undertoned complexion, the beige tones in the highlight really complement my skin tone. 

The cool-toned taupe contour is an ideal contouring shade, in my opinion. Cool tones always look the most natural in the hollows of the cheeks because it mimics the look of a shadow. This one blends in easily, and it's not too light or too dark. The warm brown contour isn't one I like to use for contouring, to be honest. It's far too warm for that purpose, and it's quite dark on me. I prefer using it as a bronzer, but since it's quite deep and very pigmented, I like taking it on a stippling brush to diffuse the color. A little goes a long way with that one.

With the release of the Contour Kits, glo minerals also released their new Contour/Highlight Brush ($29). This is my first brush from the brand, and I was not disappointed. The bristles are soft, and I haven't experienced any shedding. One side of the brush is somewhat flat and tapered, and I like to use it to apply my highlight by gently patting on the color where I want it, then using subtle swiping motions to blend it out. The tip is also great for contouring smaller areas, such as my nose. The brush on the opposite end is rounded and has the perfect density bristles for applying contour powder and general blending. It's not so fluffy that it completely sheers out the pigment, but it's also not so dense that it's unable to blend. The size of the brush is perfect for fitting into the hollows of the cheeks, as well.

glo minerals Contour/Highlight Brush
Wearing the glo minerals Contour Kit in Medium to Dark
Above, I used the matte highlight powder to set my under-eye concealer, the shimmery highlight on the tops of my cheekbones and the matte contour in the hollows of my cheeks. 

This kit is kind of awesome for travelling. Despite being labeled as highlight and contour shades, for me, I find that I also have an under-eye setting/brightening powder and a bronzer in the mix, too. 

To celebrate the new release, for a limited time, if you purchase a Contour Kit, you can receive a Contour/Highlight Brush for free with code CONTOUR15.



Disclosure: The products in this post were sent to me for consideration for a review. I am not affiliated with the company, nor am I getting paid for this post. The opinions expressed in this post are based solely on my own experience with the products.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...