5.30.2015

Overrated or Underrated?

Because I like to do my research before making most of my beauty purchases, it's not too often I'm left disappointed. I know which resources I trust for honest reviews, and more often than not, the products I buy live up to the hype. In recent months, however, I've tried a few products that have left me feeling underwhelmed, but I've also tried a few that pleasantly surprised me. So, let's play a game of Overrated or Underrated, shall we?

Glo Minerals Metallic Smoky Eye Kit* :: Verdict -- Underrated
I raved about this palette back when I initially reviewed it here, and I still think it's an amazing palette that is completely underrated through and through. When I think of buttery shadows, these come to mind, and the neutral shades are beautifully shimmery and not actually metallic. And forget eye primer. You won't need it with these.

Clarins Everlasting Foundation SPF 15* :: Verdict -- Underrated
This is the only foundation I've tried from Clarins so far, but it really surprised me. It's a great one for those with combination to oily skin types and like a higher coverage base. It has a matte finish but doesn't look powdery. I like applying it with a sponge to really press it into the skin and sheer it out just a touch. My only issue with it is that the shade I have (107 Beige) isn't yellow enough for my skin tone.

Clarins Instant Light Lip Comfort Oil* :: Verdict -- Overrated
Every blogger seemed to be raving on and on about these, so I was quite disappointed when I tried them and found them to be average. Despite the name, it feels like a thick lip gloss on the lips and feels slightly sticky on as well. It is moisturizing and smells good, but it doesn't do anything extraordinary to warrant the hype.

Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Night Cap Overnight Perfector :: Verdict -- Overrated
After trying and loving the shampoo, conditioner and 5-in-1 Styling Treatment from the Perfect Hair Day range (review here), I was itching to get my hands on their new overnight hair treatment that claims to provide lasting "shine, vibrancy and manageability." I think I must be the only person on Earth who doesn't think much of this, as it has been getting tons of praise by pretty much everyone else. I find I have to use about four pumps in my hair to actually feel any difference the next morning (keep in mind, I have short to medium length hair), and even then, the results are lackluster. My hair feels slightly silkier and softer, but nothing drastic, especially considering it claims its effects can last through several washes. The only good thing about this product is that it smells really, really good.

Ilia Lipstick in Funnel of Love :: Verdict -- Overrated
I haven't tried too many green beauty products yet, but I'd heard good things about Ilia's lipsticks. Funnel of Love seemed like a pretty, everyday peachy-pink shade, and it is. It's the formula I have an issue with. It has medium pigmentation, but it doesn't apply smoothly or evenly, and it tends to settle into my lip lines a bit more than I'm comfortable with. Still, I'm determined to find a way to make this work (maybe I need to prep my lips differently?). I'll update you if I'm successful. 

BECCA Mineral Blush in Wild Honey :: Verdict -- Underrated
I reviewed Wild Honey here, and it's still a staple in my collection. The formula is just beautiful, and the shade itself is one that would flatter just about anyone. Most of the hype that surrounds BECCA tends to be focused on their liquid, cream and powder Shimmering Skin Perfectors, but their mineral blushes should not be overlooked. They're fantastic as well.



Disclosure: The products marked with an * were either sent to me for consideration for a review or gifted to me at an event. I am not affiliated with any of these companies, nor am I getting paid for this post. The opinions expressed in this post are based solely on my own experience with the products.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...