1.28.2014

The NARSissist Eyeshadow Palette: Swatches and Initial Thoughts.

Edit #4 (2/3/14): Just when I thought the situation was resolved, it just got more annoying. NARS Customer Service called me back yet again and said to return the palette...again. Palette aside, it's disappointing to me that such a large company could have such poor and disjointed customer service practices and couldn't care less if their solutions to rectify  problems caused on their end simply create more work, hassle and confusion for the customer.

Edit #3 (1/31/14): NARS Customer Service called me back on their own to tell me to keep my palette and that they sent me a Mekong eyeshadow instead. Although I am not completely satisfied as I did not have a choice in the matter and still will not have all 15 shades in one palette like I wanted, I am happy this situation is resolved.


Edit #2 (1/31/14): NARS is allowing me to return my palette for a full refund but cannot send me a replacement as they do not have any in stock. I will also not be purchasing a new one, as the palette isn't exceptional anyway, and I don't want to risk receiving another defective palette or one with inferior quality.


Edit #1 (1/29/14): I realized upon closer inspection and swatching that my palette may be defective, as I believe it actually contains an extra Coconut Grove where Mekong is supposed to be (last shade in second row). I've emailed NARS Customer Service and am waiting to hear back.

I'd been suffering from a bit of buyer's remorse ever since ordering The NARSissist Eyeshadow Palette the day it launched on NARS' website. I love a good neutral palette, and there's no doubt that at $79 for 15 shades, NARS' latest offering boasted more bang for your buck. However, when I started catching wind of the less than stellar quality of the palette, I began regretting my purchase before it even arrived at my doorstep. Now that I finally have the palette in hand to experiment with myself, I wanted to give my initial thoughts. 



The NARSissist Eyeshadow Palette contains 15 eyeshadows, each coming in at 0.03 oz (for reference, a full-sized NARS shadow is 0.07 oz). Without boring you with the math, this palette is a much better value for money than the duos, which are already a better value than the single shadows. 

From left to right, the shades in the top row: All About Eve I, Madrague II, Fez, Bali, Coconut Grove.
Middle row: Madrague I, Nepal, Ashes to Ashes, Brousse II, Mekong (actually another Coconut Grove in my palette).
Bottom row: Bellissima I, Llasa, Bad Behavior, Dogon II, Pandora II.
(Shades that currently exist in duos have a 'I' or 'II' next to their name to represent left/right shade in their duo. All others are currently available as singles.)



Top row: All About Eve I, Madrague II, Fez, Bali, Coconut Grove
Middle row: Madrague I, Nepal, Ashes to Ashes, Brousse II, Mekong (actually another Coconut Grove in my palette)
Bottom row: Bellissima I, Llasa, Bad Behavior, Dogon II, Pandora II

Keeping in mind that these are my initial thoughts and I have not yet worn these shadows on my eyes, the shades that left me wanting more based on swatching alone were Madrague II, Brousse II, Bellissima I and Bad Behavior. The rest of the shades ranged from good to great (some of the notably fantastic shades included Fez, Ashes to Ashes, Madrague I, Nepal and Mekong (the second Coconut Grove in my palette)).

Madrague II and Brousse II were noticeably stiff with poor color payoff in one swipe, while Bad Behavior needed to be built up quite a bit and Bellissima I was both stiff and powdery, and its glitter appeared chunky in real life.

Overall, although four of the fifteen shades did not meet my expectations and failed to live up to what I've grown to know as NARS' standard for quality, the palette itself is a beautiful compilation of a variety of cohesive neutrals. For the time being, I think it will stay in my collection as I play around with a few eye looks (one or two will surely make it on the blog, so keep your eyes peeled!). That means that my Pleasures of Paris Palette and Llasa single shadow may just make it into the blog sale pile in a few weeks :) 

I'm returning the palette.

NARS The NARSissist Eyeshadow Palette is available from Sephora for $79.

29 comments:

  1. Hey Tiffany, I remember you saying this on Twitter, but I'm glad that it is not a total disappointment. I just don't use big palettes anymore so I don't buy them, but there are some shades here that I have been eyeing for a while (Llasa included). I guess I'll just wait till the shades I want get put in the same palette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of regretting my decision to buy it. I haven't received it yet (it's been shipping to a place in the US) but I may return it the same day I pick it up. It's funny, I think each palette must be somewhat different, because I saw another blogger's video where she showed what poor quality her MeKong shadow was (yours looks like one of the best). I never understand why a company who can do single shadows so well can't replicate the quality in a larger palette. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing would it be if NARS let you make customized palettes? Oh my goodness. Llasa is a beautiful shade - I don't blame you for eyeing it! Taupes used to be my weakness (they kind of still are).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree, Alicia! It doesn't make it seem as good of a "deal" if the quality isn't there. It's sad because if these shadows had the same quality as their singles, this palette would be a complete winner, hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how we all had this problem at one point ^^. I really hope you will enjoy it though, you never know! I've read some very mixed reviews and I honestly don't know what to think right now, lol. The sad thing is that Nars isn't sold here so we can't even swatch it. Also, sometimes it performs quite differently from the swatches, so all hope is not lost. I'm very curious about your findings now, let us know soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got this palette and so far I am loving it. I find the problems I had swatching the shades initially go away when I use a primer on my lid. I hope you have the same kind of luck I did with this palette. I would love it if NARS had a make-your-own palette. It would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was quite intrigued by this. mostly as a value for money type product but when i saw temptalia's swatches, all lemmings went away :( i'm glad the majority of the shadows are great though. it would suck if the entire palette didn't have good pay off. still though...nars shadows have pretty shades in general.

    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's good that this wasn't that bad of a let down - most of the shades look pretty and like you said, cohesive. Llasa and Ashes to Ashes stand out the most to me!

    rachel x
    blush&brunch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do I really need another neutral palette? Nope, but WANT. SO. BADLY.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great review!! I agree with you about the several tones but none to get your heart on it!!
    x

    veruzkas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey maybe you will end up liking it! Though I do know you are very partial to your LORAC PRO palette which I am guessing has better performing shades all around. I have a couple NARS duos and one single and rarely ever reach for them. I think they are actually quite hard to blend! Pigmented yes, but if it gets all patchy on me I don't like to work to hard with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heard mixed reviews about this palette and as I haven't tried any of the NARS eyeshadows yet, I am hesistant about buying this palette. I love neutrals though and this palette seems to be right up my alley. Ah decisions, decisions,...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tiffany, sorry to hear this palette is not all that for you. I've made myself immune to NARS because I absolutely loathe the packaging that melts in my weather! So when I see NARS, I just tune out. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for the honest review. It's refreshing to see someone genuinely speak about a product and not fall into the trend of over-hyping it just because most bloggers do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good point, Teri! I've definitely experienced that in the past with other products where they perform better than they swatch. Crossing my fingers that's the case here too! I'll definitely post a look or two and talk about any updated findings :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, perfect! I can't wait to try out the shadows on my eyes. Hopefully I'll have the same luck as you. I'll keep in mind to use primer. And I agree that a customizable palette would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree. Temptalia's review was what initially let me down. I still really like the compilation of shades that they put in the palette though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are two of my favorites too, Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha, believe me, I didn't need another neutral palette either :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The LORAC shadows definitely perform better, but I'm still really liking the shades in the NARS palette too. I haven't had issues with most of the NARS shadows I currently have, but I absolutely think that there are other brands out there that make better shadows in general.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Curious to see what you end up deciding to do, Jessie! :) If you've never tried NARS before, I might suggest not starting off with this palette as you might be left a bit disappointed since not all of the shades are fantastic. Just a thought though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww, that's such a bummer! I actually quite like the packaging, but I've never experienced the melting issue. It does get pretty dirty though, which is annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much, Patricia! That's what I always aim to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks like a really beautiful palette, I think it's a shame that some of the shades aren't as lovely as you would have expected them to be, but I'm sure you'll create some stunning looks using it! <3 xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so sorry your palette is defective! At least I'm glad you'll receive a full-sized Mekong for free.
    I'm really excited to get my palette this month (the SA told me it will arrive around mid-February), but at the same time I'm afraid I won't like the quality of it or I'll receive a defective one :_(
    Can't wait to see you sporting some looks with this palette.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I truly hope you love your palette and don't run into any of the same issues I did, Maria! I actually just edited the post again after I received another call from NARS Customer Service. Looks like I will be returning the palette after all! This whole thing has been such a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  27. sounds like a confusing CS situation :/ So you are going to return the palette then? I feel like it is such an overpriced palette :( it would be a nice palette to have though, I just wish it was less $$. It seems like a $55 palette lol

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ugh, tell me about it. I just sent it back today. I just want my refund! This whole thing has been a headache. I was okay with the price IF the quality was there, but it clearly wasn't. I really liked the colors in it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...