1.27.2014

A New Love: Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

After strolling into quite possibly the most drool-worthy Sephora store I've ever seen in San Francisco with a Christmas gift card in tow, my eyes shot straight to one particular display - Giorgio Armani. I'd heard that Armani Beauty was available in some of the larger stores like NYC, but this was my first time seeing it for myself. Of course, I had access to Armani counters in department stores, but there's nothing like the constant peering eyes of preying SAs to push me towards the exit. So, with the freedom of finally being able to examine and experiment with the line in peace, I went to town and swatched and tested out many products I'd been interested in for quite some time, including their cult product - Luminous Silk Foundation.
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation boasts the ability to "capture the glow of perfect skin." Pretty serious claim, no? Its consistency is neither too liquid to be applied with a brush, nor too thick to be applied with fingers or a sponge. Although I've used all three aforementioned methods of application, stamping the foundation on then gently blending it in with the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge is currently my favorite. Luminous Silk blends in effortlessly and looks nearly undetectable on the skin. The finish is also somewhere in the middle - it's neither dewy nor matte, but appears incredibly natural with a touch of luminous glow. If you had healthy, perfect, model-esque skin, the kind that looks like it's never even heard of sun damage or age spots and somehow just seems to glow from within, it would look like this.

Bare skin (L) and after applying only Luminous Silk Foundation in 3.5
Luminous Silk has medium coverage that effectively conceals the minor redness around my nose and the acne scars on my chin. Blemishes and more serious problem areas still require concealer for a perfect canvas, but I'd imagine Luminous Silk has the perfect amount of coverage on its own for those with good to mildly spotty skin for everyday wear. I wear the shade 3.5, which is a good match for NC20-25.

The current state of my skin is fairly dry with a slightly oily t-zone, and Luminous Silk has the perfect balance of hydration and oil-controlling properties. It doesn't cling on to any dry patches and blends in seamlessly with the help of the Real Techniques sponge, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that my oiliest areas still remained shine-free for hours, only typically requiring one blot midday without any terribly detectable breakdown even by the end of the day. I haven't even felt the need for primer or powder. I'm not sure there will ever be a foundation that truly performs well on all skin types, but I think Luminous Silk comes darn close. Hourglass Immaculate and Dior Nude BB Creme better start watching their backs. There's a new favorite in town.

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation is available from their website for $60 (not available online at Sephora).

Bloglovin'. Twitter. Instagram. Facebook.

24 comments:

  1. It's softly illuminating and makes your skin look radiant without any kind of shiny dewiness - really gorgeous :) I haven't tried this one yet but it's so raved about by others - maybe after I use up 50% of my foundations first after a few years :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tiffany, I'm glad to hear you like this one! I got a sample tube quite some time ago, and I've only been testing it out recently! It's good, but I think I still prefer Guerlain Tenue de Perfection more (that one controls my oily T-zone better). I do like how easy it is to work with the texture tho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks FANTASTIC on you - and is a perfect match, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Between the finish and the color match, this looks so natural, it's crazy :) I think I would be the same shade as you. I really need to check out the RT sponge. I'm such a fan of the beauty blender, but most of the less expensive renditions I've tried so far just don't work as well for me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. this looks really amazing on you. I gotta go check it out. I can't believe I still haven't tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I really love the finish too :) What are some of the foundations you're currently using and liking?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Tasha! Believe me, without the gift card, I would not have been able to justify the purchase either :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo, I haven't tried Guerlain Tenue de Perfection yet, but you make it sound tempting! I think I'll need to find a way to score a sample of it sometime :) Does it have a similar finish to Luminous Silk?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Emi! I love Luminous Silk's extensive shade range :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would say it's more matte, but not a dull matte. More like a satiny matte if that makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The finish is so natural and beautiful in real life, you're right! And yes, I would definitely recommend the RT sponge. I still haven't tried the beauty blender, but I have tried other drugstore sponges and none of them performed nearly as well as the RT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No problem, Leanne! It's a great foundation. I know others in the UK have reviewed it before, so I'm pretty sure it is available over there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Julie! You should definitely get a sample and try it! I feel like it would be beautiful on brides too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Tiffany. I have mine in shade 4! Been using it for almost a month now and I loooove it! No more dry patches or cakey face. The finish looks so natural on me, like a second skin but way better. Glad to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yea I need to go by nearest GA counter and grab a sample. I don't know why I have not got a sample till now. That's my thing! lol Yea I used this recently on a bridesmaid. She had her own and wanted me to use it. It turned out beautiful and flawless. Helped she had gorgeous skin too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, I've been wanting to try this foundation! It's bad that I can't try it on my skin and I hate buying foundations sight unseen. Maybe the next time I'm in Singapore...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous skin makes everything look good, haha. Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay!! Glad you love it. The way you described it is exactly how I feel about it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know what you mean, Lily. Foundation is probably the most difficult thing to purchase sight unseen :-/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fortunately and strangely, there is an Armani counter in my city (we usually just have the most common brands), so I could try a sample of their Lasting Silk foundation some months ago, but I think it has a high percentage of alcohol in its composition that my skin didn't like at all.
    I have read excellent reviews about their foundations, but I'm afraid to try them now :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aww, that's disappointing. I'm sorry their foundations don't work well on your skin, Maria :( At least you were able to find that out with a sample rather than having to buy a bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  22. yay i'm so glad you are loving this! I like this one a lot too, but find the finish isn't as "perfect" as i would like on drier areas if I have them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. i think it is still koh gen do aqua foundation! :) but this one has more coverage so it just depends on what i'm looking for. Thee finish IS really good, just the KGD is magically even better on me hehe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...