12.27.2013

Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge

After what must be years of umming and ahhing over the Beauty Blender sponge, I finally came to the realization that I could never part with nearly $20 in exchange for a makeup sponge, no matter how cute and how pink it is. So, when Monika from Rocaille Writes gave the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge a rather rave review, I quickly added it to my mental wishlist.

The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge is a cheery orange sponge with rounded sides, a pointed tip on one end and a flat edge on the other end. The pointed end is a particular favorite of mine, as I find it fits perfectly into all of the nooks and crannies and natural contours of the face. 

After dabbing mini blobs (???) of foundation all over my face, I hold the sponge under running water, then squeeze out all of the excess. Similarly to the Beauty Blender, the Miracle Complexion Sponge expands a considerable amount when dampened. Dampening the sponge softens it even further, creating a bouncy texture, and the moisture helps to flawlessly apply and blend foundation and concealer.


Below, the sponge is first shown dry, then dampened. It increases in size by about 50%.
With the dry and cold winter weather, I noticed recently that my skin looked dry, patchy and flakey with foundation on (I had been using the Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush to apply it). After Sandra suggested I try applying my foundation with the Beauty Blender as it had worked wonders for her, I picked up the Miracle Complexion Sponge a few days later, and the difference in the appearance of my foundation was like night and day. 

Not only does using the sponge to gently press in my foundation eradicate any traces of dry patches, it also blends it in more flawlessly and quickly than a brush. One point worth noting, however, is that I do find that some coverage is lost when foundation is applied with the sponge, as it tends to give a slightly sheerer application. For this reason, the sponge is probably best reserved for pairing with medium to full coverage foundations, as use with a sheer to light coverage foundation may yield nearly invisible results.

If you struggle with streaky foundation application, want the option of a sheerer foundation application, suffer from dry, patchy skin, or simply can't stop thinking about the Beauty Blender, yet you can't part with that $20 bill either, I'd highly recommend picking up the Miracle Complexion Sponge. Coming in at just under $6, this little orange wonder has completely dissolved any yearning I previously had for its cute and pink predecessor. 

The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge is available at Ulta for $5.99.

26 comments:

  1. I saw this little sponge at Ulta last week and would have picked it up if I wouldn't have known I was getting new beauty blenders for Christmas! This is such a great find if it really does live up to the beauty blender standards. I love mine, and I'm glad you're loving the RT version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like just what I need to apply foundation this time of year. Having the same issues you mentioned! Thanks for the in-depth review :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is also on my mental wishlist hehe! I find that sometimes my foundation tends to sit oddly on my skin and can often look dry. I think this sponge would be the perfect addition! Like you, I couldn't bear to spend $20 on the beauty blender!

    x Tashi

    http://shiwashiful.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great review! I felt the same way about spending so much on the Beauty Blender, but I may have to try this baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this comes up here! Sounds like a great dupe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is only one thing left to say here: SOLD! Real Techniques Miracle Complexion sponge, come to momma. You made it sound so good Tiffany. Thanks for the detailed review. :) I much prefer orange to pink anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this sponge! I couldn't justify spending so much on the beauty blender
    either - this is a fantastic alternative. xx

    duggydimples

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one goes on my mental wish list, too! LOL
    I liked my Beauty Blender but got tired of washing it plus I didn't want to pay that much for a sponge.
    I have tried the Sonia Kashuk one but it wasn't all that. This one looks a lot like the BB in texture!
    (I still prefer it to be pink, but...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been so intrigued by this sponge! Thanks for the review!

    xo

    Alice

    Alice in Nappyland

    ReplyDelete
  10. If only I saw this before I bought my beauty blender! lol but I don't feel too badly about getting mine cause I bought it from IMATS that came in a pack of two and shared it with my friend. So I didn't fish out $20 for a sponge but rather only ~$12.....although it is still double the amount I feel alright about it haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really nice! I've never splurged on the beauty blender, but I think I need to try this out! :)

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
  12. i bought the beautyblender during the vib sale with some store credit. o.O I never see this one in stores! But i guess i haven't looked that hard bc i somehow decided it was ok for me to buy the beautyblender during the vib sale lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you love your beauty blenders, Chelsea! I still think the pink ones are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. No problem, Lindsay! Let me know if you end up giving the RT sponge a try. I'd love to hear how it works for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like you might love the sponge too then, Tashi! I was experiencing some of the same problems as you and the sponge completely changed how my foundation looked on my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad the review was helpful, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember you saying you love the beauty blender! The price was really what held me back from trying it :-/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay!! Let me know what you think, Diane. I hope you get your hands on one soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So happy you love it too, Gemma!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've tried sponges from SK too and they definitely weren't the same. You should totally try the RT one! I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on how similar or dissimilar it is to the BB. I prefer pink too, but oh well. :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. $12 isn't bad at all! If I could've gotten it at that price, I probably would've tried the BB too :) Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Let me know if you do! I'd love to hear your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bahaha. Love you, Joyce. Yeah, the RT sponge was difficult to hunt down for me too :-/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whee, I'm glad you like it too! And thanks for the mention, my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. No problem! I'm glad you gave it a good review, otherwise I might not have ever tried it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...