11.18.2013

The Morning & Nighttime Cleansers.

My morning and nighttime cleansers recently underwent a bit of a switch-up after I used up both my Pai Camellia & Rose Gentle Hydrating Cleanser and Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing Balm. Although both of those products are absolutely fantastic, I decided against re-purchasing them at this time in favor of trying something new. My picks? Oskia Renaissance Cleansing Gel and Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm.

I start off my mornings with one pump of the Oskia Renaissance Cleansing Gel (£32.50 for 5 oz/150 ml) massaged onto dry skin, transforming the gel into an oil-like cleanser, before gently removing it with a warm, damp washcloth. The Renaissance Cleansing Gel is packed with pumpkin enzyme to purge the skin of dead cells, vitamin A to promote elasticity, vitamins C and E to protect against free radicals, starflower oil to promote firmness and sulfur to detoxify and reduce inflammation. It leaves my skin looking brighter and feeling clean, soft and hydrated. Whereas I felt that the Pai Camellia & Rose Gentle Hydrating Cleanser was more light and refreshing, this rose chamomile-scented cleanser is luxuriously warm and soothing, making it perfect for cold winter mornings. I mean, just take a look at that description: "illuminating vitamin facial cleanser" - who wouldn't want that?

The Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm ($28.50 for 3.8 oz/125 ml) has been my new obsession as far as the nighttime skincare players are concerned. It has quite a solid consistency in the pot (seemingly very un-balm-like), but the second it is massaged onto dry skin, it melts into a silky, never greasy, oil consistency that breaks down all forms of makeup like nobody's business (my Stila waterproof mascara included). Although Clinique claims the balm should be rinsed off, I always use a washcloth and never experience any residue left behind. Nevertheless, I still follow it up with a second cleanse for good measure (I've been loving the Osmia Organics Black Clay Facial Soap lately).

Compared to the Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing Balm, which I loved while it lasted (I went through two tubs!), I'm actually surprised to come to the conclusion that I think I might just enjoy Clinique's version more (and my wallet thanks me). Although I never had adverse reactions to the EH, Clinique's is free of fragrances and essential oils, making it perfect for even the most sensitive of skin types. It's also worth noting that both balms can be used around the eye area without causing any stinging or irritation. The Clinique balm could certainly be used for the second cleanse, as I did with the EH balm; however, I enjoy using it first simply because it is such an effective and fuss-free makeup remover. In my opinion, the EH feels more luxe simply due to its beautiful fragrance, but in all honesty, the Clinique is just as effective, and I actually prefer the consistency of it (not to mention the price, ahem) over the EH. 


The Oskia Renaissance Cleansing Gel (£32.50) can be purchased from Cult Beauty, and the Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm ($28.50) can be purchased from Sephora.

33 comments:

  1. Thanks for comparing the Clinique balm to the Emma Hardie! I still have a pot of EH waiting for me back in Europe when I ordered it last year, so that'll be my next cleanser - for now, I'm using the Elemental Herbology cleansing balm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A cleanser that removes (very) waterproof mascara? I'm impressed! I haven't found anything yet (cleansing oils included) that remove my eye makeup. I'd love to cut out a few steps in my removal routine. Looks like it might be time to look into cleansing balms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the cleansing milk version of Clinique's Take the Day away - the balm sounds interesting, but I like pumps, lol. I agree about Clinique's wallet-friendly prices - can't be beat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to pick up the Clinique balm at some point but got distracted by makeup, lol. I like what I'm hearing though! And "illuminating vitamin facial cleanser" -- YES PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you love the Clinique balm! I strictly use waterproof mascara and it gets the job done everytime! It's the best remover for me so far. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post! Never found a cleanser that can take off a waterproof mascara decently..

    x


    veruzkas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried Oskia before .... and I trust your opinion, so now I need to. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was eyeing the Clinique balm for a while now and you just convinced me to get it asap ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. illuminating vitamin cleanser! sounds heavenly! i've read a few reviews of the clinique balm and every one really seems to enjoy it. i guess i wonder if i'd be to lazy to use a towel to wash it off. i think i might be and have avoided it for that reason...but...i'm pretty curious about how it works. esp since it melts down to an oil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted to try the Clinique balm, since its one of the few balms that is easy to get in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No problem, Monika! Hope it was helpful. If you have any specific questions about the two, let me know. I didn't want to blab on too much :) I hope you like the EH once you try it. I'm a big fan. I want to try the Elemental Herbology one too! How do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yup, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it removes *everything*. My Shu cleansing oil also removes waterproof mascara really easily, but a few eye makeup removers I've tried couldn't even budge it, including Bioderma -_- You should definitely look into trying a cleansing balm sometime! I think Clinique would be a great one to start off with :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh, the cleansing milk sounds like it'd be another great, no-frills option!

    ReplyDelete
  14. RIGHT?! Seriously, I know I love a lot of things, but I LOVE these two cleansers. I can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you love it so much, Lindsay! I don't blame you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This Clinique one and my Shu Uemura cleansing oil both remove waterproof mascara with ease!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww, thanks, Patricia! I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a lovely cleanser :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. No problem! Let me know what you think. It's a fantastic product! And there's so much product there that I don't feel as guilty using generous amounts each time :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's what I though too - the description sold me immediately! I never used to use a washcloth with my cleansers until the beginning of this year when I picked up the Pai and EH cleansers. Now, I'm obsessed! If you do decide to take the plunge sometime, the Clinique balm is definitely worth a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yup, that definitely another reason I love it so much :) I hate how so many of the other great cleansers out there aren't easily accessible in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohh I've never tried Oskia. I have heard great things about that Clinique cleansing balm. If I remember correctly, it's main ingredient is one that breaks me out so I never tried it back when they were cf. I should check out Cult Beauty, I keep hearing about it but haven't ordered from them

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do you find balm cleansers better for acne-prone skin? Mrs Hirons makes gel cleansers sound toxic but I'm using Antipodes Juliet- thinking of getting the Clinique TTDO cleansing balm for PM cleansing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. SO desperate to give the Oskia Gel a go, it sounds loverrrly - now you need to get your hands on the Micro-Exfoliating Balm ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the Elemental Herbology fine, although it can get a bit melty and messy - I reviewed it on the blog if you want take a look. I also want to try just using pure coconut oil for cleansing and see how that goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. i am definitely gonna pick up the clinique when i run out of cleansers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've heard such good things about the Clinique balm! I want to try it someday, but I also like my current skincare & want to stick with it. . . alas.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I used the Clinique balm and liked it enough to use it up, but didn't like it enough to repurchase. Have you tried the Bobbi Brown Extra Balm Rinse? I'm on the second tub. It's huge and I love the smell. I'm using the Pai cleanser now, and I also like how it smells. I don't know what it is, but yummy smelling skincare makes me feel good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bummer about the ingredient in the cleansing balm :( There's so many tempting things on Cult Beauty - you should check it out! And the Oskia cleanser is sooo nice!

    ReplyDelete
  29. don't make me want it right nowwww lol. Ok maybe when sephora does that gift card event thing they do in December (if it happens again) :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I actually just put together a post on my routine, would love to hear your thoughts if you check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I hope it happens again! Don't disappoint us, Sephora!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Read it and loved it! Commented already :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. So happy to hear you love the Clinique balm too! I can definitely see why it has a cult following. And the Oskia cleanser is seriously dreamy :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...