10.28.2013

The Fingertip Crew.

I used to be quite lazy with my nails, and while I enjoyed wearing polish, I didn't take particularly great care of my nails otherwise. It all changed when I started noticing how even the most beautiful shade of polish would look horrendous against a backdrop of haggard cuticles and misshapen tips. So, I thought I'd show you the main players that have transformed my nail routine.

After removing all traces of existing polish with a non-acetone nail polish remover (I'm not picky on which one, as long as it doesn't contain acetone, which weakens my nails), I run a thin line of the Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover along the base and sides of my nail, where the nail meets the skin. After about fifteen seconds have elapsed, I use my thumb nail to gently push back the cuticle on each nail before washing my hands clean. The cuticle remover softens and dissolves the cuticles so that they are easily removed during a simple hand wash. Once in a blue moon, when my cuticles have grown like weeds, I take a cuticle cutter (mine is from Ulta) and carefully trim them just a bit to make them presentable again.

Instead of clipping my nails, I typically opt to use a nail file to create a length and shape I'm happy with. I typically like my nails short and more on the square side. To achieve this, I file my nails straight across until they're quite short, then I use the nail file to ever so slightly round out the edges.

Once the shape of my nails are to my liking, I prep them with OPI Nail Envy. Now, if you read this post, you'll know that I'm not blown away by Nail Envy; however, as I don't necessarily hate it either, I've vowed to use up the entire bottle before trying something new. 

After painting on a few, thin coats of my nail color of choice, always waiting about 5 minutes between each coat, I seal everything in with CND Super Shiney High-Gloss Top Coat. As its name would suggest, it has a brilliant, shiny finish, and the thicker consistency really helps to protect the polish underneath. I've found that it's not ideal over lighter polishes, though, as it can cast a purple tinge. Instead, I've recently started using Essie Good to Go Top Coat on top of lighter nail colors, and so far, so good.

Lastly, to help speed up the drying time and lessen the time spent flailing around helplessly, OPI Rapidry is absolutely brilliant. About 45 seconds to a minute after painting on my top coat, I spritz Rapidry over my nails and they're ready to go in no time. Seriously, it works.

Occasionally, before bed, I apply a bit of the Deborah Lippmann Cuticle Oil. The jojoba oil, coconut oil and vitamin E really help to soften and nourish my dry cuticles. And, the yummy coconut scent doesn't hurt either.

26 comments:

  1. Jojoba oil, coconut oil, and Vitamin E in one place? That Deborah Lippmann Cuticle Oil sounds heavenly. I've noticed my nails are really appreciating a glass file (my favorite is from Cult Nails) and my thumb nails don't crack on the sides as long as I remember to use The Body Shop Almond Hand and Nail Cream. I need to keep OPI Rapidry in mind when I finally start painting my nails again. I *hate* waiting for them to dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, Coconut cuticle oil! I'll be on the look out for that :D I love Essie's To Dry For, I'm always surprised it doesn't get more love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After you're done with OPI Nail Envy, get Essie Fill the Gap. You will LOVE it. I wrote a review about it on my blog because I'm that obsessed. I love the CND Shiney Top Coat. It's my favorite :) I don't think Essie's top coat works quite as well as the one from CND. Thanks for sharing!!


    xx Lauren
    Dirty Blonde Ambition

    ReplyDelete
  4. i keep meaning to try that sally hansen cuticle stuff. and i want to try the deborah lippman cuticle remover too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! I bet you have glowing nails, even if you don't think so =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nail Envy is an all-time fave of mine and Sally Hansen is just awesome! Use them all the time! Must try the DL oil!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that I need the DL cuticle oil! Dammit, you always make me want to get something. LOL



    I have the SH cuticle remover and while it's awesome, I rarely touch my cuticles. And OPI's rapid dry things are generally quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good at-home manicure. This stuff looks awesome! Rapidry sounds really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the Deborah Lippmann cuticle remover, and am really liking it!! But I seem to be going through it rather quickly and it's $$, so I think I'll try the sally hansen one next! Thanks for showing us your tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always wanted to "square" my nails but I thought it was impossible to do so using a nail clipper. So happy to hear your tip about filing them straight and then rounding the edges off, genius! Thank you!

    sylvialoveslipstick

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard Nail Envy was amazing... I need to pick this up!

    Jessica

    the way to my Hart

    ReplyDelete
  12. Right?? It smells sooo good too. I always wondered about glass nail files. I've still never tried one myself! And you should definitely give Rapidry a shot - it works!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooo, you're right - I've haven't heard of To Dry For. Will definitely check it out when I'm done with Rapidry! Thanks, Bailey!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll try to remember to pick up Fill the Gap once I'm done with Nail Envy :) I really like the CND top coat too, but I don't like how it changes the color of lighter polishes. That's really my only complaint :-/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo, I've never tried the DL one, but I bet it's good! The Sally Hansen one is great though...affordable too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww, thank you so much! It must be one of those things that only I notice :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The DL oil is definitely nice to have! Smells really yummy too :) I wish I loved Nail Envy as much as everyone else does!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bahaha! Honestly, I don't think the DL cuticle oil is a must-have necessarily, but it's so luxurious feeling and it smells so good! Glad you like Rapidry too. I used to never touch my cuticles, but mine look pretty bad if I do nothing to them. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Natalie! Rapidry is pretty amazing. It really works!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never tried the DL but I would expect it to be amazing, so I'm not surprised you like it so much! I wonder how it compares to SH... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you found it helpful, Sylvia! It's really easy to do with a nail file :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i feel like i need both - for science of course! tehe. Though I'm sure I won't ever justify getting the DL unless I actually got into the habit of using cuticle remover!

    ReplyDelete
  23. haha, I like your way of thinking! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope it impresses you more than it did me! I know a lot of people love it, but it didn't really do much for me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...