10.23.2013

The Anti-Bronzer.

When Chanel launched their Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Colour SPF 15 Powders, truth be told, I had a difficult time understanding what all the fuss was about. Was it a face powder? Was it not a face powder? What exactly was so special about it?

It wasn't until I saw the powder mentioned on Lil Lady's Life a few times before I finally decided to give it a shot, still unsure of its purpose, simply because J.'s recommendations have yet to leave me disappointed.

Since I had my heart set on using the powder to warm up my complexion rather than as an all-over setting powder, I went with shade No30,  one shade darker than my skin tone. The powder comes housed in a beautifully chic black and ivory compact. A surprisingly great quality brush is included but annoyingly, it' as separated from the powder only by a dinky piece of black plastic that needs to be removed and set aside each time in order to access the powder.


No30 is noticeably orange in tone, but the sheer quality of the powder means that it doesn't translate as such on the skin. There are miniscule shimmer particles that can be detected in the pan, but they are so sparse throughout the powder that again, they don't translate as shimmer on the skin. 


I apply No30 with my EcoTools Bronzer Brush in the classic 3 shape on each side of my face, similarly to how I would typically apply bronzer, but the effect is so much more subtle and natural. It creates an effortlessly soft glow that warms up my complexion just enough. I call it the "anti-bronzer" because it achieves everything I aim for with bronzer, but without any of the fuss or fear of over-application, muddiness, or everyone's favorite - the oompa loompa effect. The powder is impossible to mess up - it blends into the skin with minimal effort and just looks like one with the skin the very second it's applied.

What the Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Colour Powder is used for is completely dependent on your skin tone and which shade of powder you're using. For example:
- Dusting on a powder that is two or three shades lighter than your skin tone could be used to softly illuminate the high points of the face.
- The shade that matches your skin tone could be used all over to gently set foundation without any cakey-ness in sight.
- Choosing a shade or two darker than your skin tone, like I have, could be used to add a warm, healthy glow to the complexion. 

I truly think that Chanel could not have come up with a more apt name than Healthy Glow Sheer Colour, because that's exactly what the powder is and exactly what it accomplishes - sheer color that creates a healthy glow

Happy to have another winner in my arsenal, thanks to J. :)

The Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Colour SPF 15 Powder is available from Nordstrom for $57.50.

35 comments:

  1. I love this product so much! It might even be my favorite makeup release of 2013. Like you, I chose to get a darker shade to warm up my complexion. It's amazing what a huge difference such a subtle glow makes. Lately I have been layering it heavily on my cheeks as a subtle alternative to blush for a no makeup-makeup look, and it looks spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely know what you mean! Even when applied more heavily on the cheeks, it still manages to look natural. Love it, and glad you love it too :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tiffany,



    CHANEL Les Beiges in N30 looks gorgeous on your skin! I love the packaging too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the lightest one to use as a setting powder and LURVE it too. I want to get a darker one now to use for this purpose as well! Just waiting for my trip to CA to get it haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok. i'm sold. i think your blogger friend J to you is kind of like what you are to me - because i always tend to love the things you recommend/mention! i remember i asked you about the chanel les beige a few posts back and now i am pretty sold on saving up for this... maybe it'll be my christmas present to myself hahhaaha :)


    rachel x
    blush&brunch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds really great!! Sad I am strictly on a budget now, cannot buy anything new! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY!!!1 im sooo glad you love this powder as much as I do it seems, and the color match seems right!! it's just so great, but a lil hard to tell others how, you did a fantastic job in the review, I saw the price at the end and was like @.@ i didnt even ask, i tried it on, and i said, Ill take it!!! ( dangerous) HAHHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh, now you've got me lusting over this!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you call it the anti bronzer. It does sounds more appealing.... but there's this nagging feeling that's pulling me back, and I don't know what. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks great, i love joue one also!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone's been raving about this product recently - but I feel like I'm a little bit more tempted by the Hourglass Ambient Lighting powders. It would be nice to actually compare them side by side some time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. would you recommend it for a oily skin?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really wanted this when it launched but feeling calmer about it now. I think Hourglass Radiant Light provides similar effects although it's not matte like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hmm yea i was really wondering the same things about this product. wasn't sure what it did but i guess its just a multipurpose sort of things and depends on which on you get. since i have a few bronzers and highligher and setting powders, i'll have to wait a while before i give this a go. the subtle factor is nice though

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing :)

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Dovey! I love how they incorporated the ivory into the packaging. It looks so nice and is a nice change from the all black :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do it, Tracy! :D I've considered getting a shade to use to set my makeup but I think 20 would be a touch too dark...and I'm not sure it would control the oil on my t-zone well enough.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww, thanks, Rachel! So glad you tend to enjoy my recommendations. And getting it as a Christmas gift (even as a gift to yourself!) would be brilliant...saves on the guilt factor from spending so much ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bahaha, yeah, I can't remember the last time I spent so much on a powder, but I love it too much to look back! I was having a difficult time explaining too...I wanted to make sure people understood why I though it was different from any old bronzer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a lovely product, Jennie :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know what you mean, Lily. Like I said, I wasn't drawn to it at all at first either.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've heard great things about Jouer's bronzer!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have Dim Light and Diffused Light and absolutely love both. However, the shades I have are nothing like this Chanel powder, so I'm not sure it'd be useful for me to compare the ones I have. Based on what Liz is saying below, it sounds like Radiant Light might be a close, shimmery version, though! I use Dim and Diffused to set my makeup all over, whereas my Chanel powder is darker so I use it more like a bronzer :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. If you're using it to highlight/illuminate the face or like a bronzer and only applying it to certain parts of the face, I think it would be fine. If you want to use it to set your foundation, though, I'm not sure it would offer enough oil-control.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahh, yes. I've swatched Radiant Light and it was too shimmery for my taste, which may explain why I love this powder so much :) Glad you love Radiant Light though! I love my Hourglass powders too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yeah, it was kind of weird. I don't think it was clear when the product was released what it was meant to do. I'm not sure I would personally use it as a setting powder since I think my t-zone is too oily for that, and even the lightest shade wouldn't be light enough to highlight my face, I don't think. Still loving the one I have, though!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how far powders have come! They are relatively creams now. This shade does look like the perfect natiral bronze for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  28. When I picked this up, I really had no idea what to expect from something so boring in the pan. It looked just like any other powder. It definitely surprised me. It's such a beautiful powder & it looks great on. Very foolproof -- just the way I like my powders.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I agree! Powders really aren't what they used to be, all dry and cakey looking.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Glad you love yours too, Aleeza! I agree with what you've said. It's definitely one of those products you really need to use in order to appreciate what it can do :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm still so undecided on this product!! I haven't tried it yet because the reviews seem to be slightly polarizing…either love it or you don't :-/ Thanks for your great review though!! I should at least go swatch, no?? Tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think you should try it on actually! I'm not sure that swatching it alone would've sold me on it if I didn't already want it. I can definitely see how others might not like it though...it could be a bit meh if you don't find the right use for it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...