9.13.2013

Packing light and just right.

My boyfriend and I went to the coast last weekend for a relaxing getaway. Though it would have been completely like me to overpack (clothes and makeup), for some odd reason, I was able to exercise extreme restraint this time, only allowing myself to pack what I truly thought I'd actually use within those two days. And you know what? I used almost every single thing I brought, with the exception of just one product. Not bad, eh?
Base:
NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer
Maybelline Dream Matte Powder

Eyes:
Chanel eyshadow duo in Sable
UD 24/7 liner in Perversion
Sephora Contour Eye Pencil 12Hr Wear in Flirting Game
Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner
Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Volumizing Mascara

Brows:
Shiseido Natural Eyebrow Pencil in GY901 Natural Black 

Cheeks:
NARS blush in Mounia

Lips:
Sonia Kashuk Shine Luxe Sheer Lip Colour in Sheer Pink Lust
Tools:
Shu Uemura eyelash curler
Inglot 6SS (for setting under-eye concealer)
Sigma E25 * (for blending)
MAC 217 (for blending)
Sephora Pro Airbrush Concealer #57 
Sigma E55 * (for applying lid color)
Real Techniques blush brush 
EcoTools powder brush
Real Techniques stippling brush 

The lone product I brought but didn't use was the Stila liquid liner. I brought it just in case I felt like doing a cat eye one or both days, but I ended up going the less dramatic route with my liner that weekend, opting to just have UD Perversion on my top waterline and Sephora Flirting Game on my lower waterline and lash line.

Since I was only going to be away for two days, I tried to limit myself to only packing products I truly believed I would reach for. Unlike longer trips, I didn't find it practical to pack different options for eyes, lips, cheeks, etc., especially since we didn't have any special occasion type of outings planned during our trip. And to be honest, there wasn't anything that I missed while I was away that I wished I would've brought with me. I was perfectly happy and content with my lightly packed makeup bag and found it to be just right for both me and the occasion.


*PR sample

Do you typically overpack makeup for short getaways?

Disclosure: The products denoted with (*) were sent to me for consideration for a review. I am not affiliated with the company, nor am I getting paid for this post. The opinions expressed in this post are based solely on my own experience with the products.

23 comments:

  1. Uggh, I am the QUEEN of over-packing! I always *try* and exercise restraint when packing, but more often than not, I'm sitting on top of my suitcase the night before struggling to zip it even part of the way around. I obviously need to take a leaf out of your book! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've learned to not overpack clothes, but makeup is tough still! I've discovered that i almost never wear makeup on vacation lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im actually really good at packing makeup, I've got it down to a few essentials, but I seriously over pack on skincare. I take loads of extras because I will be relaxing and then end up being so tired I barely manage to take my makeup off!
    Xx

    www.thelibrarian.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sad that Mounia has been discontinued, every time you mention it my heart aches a little! I tend to overpack quite badly, I always say that if I get a look into my head I need the product or I'm likely to head out and buy it, but I think that I need to learn to let go of 'special looks' to save some packing space...
    Great round up, I think you packed very well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh good job! you remind me to use Mounia more since fall is here!!! i usually try to pack light since on vacation im not as bothered with m/u, thought it dosent seem like that when packing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely stuff! I'd always love to think that I can look flawless ALL THE TIME when on holidays but unless its a dinner at night I just focus on my face and eyes! Concealer, a heavy powder, mascara and eyeliner! I'm good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm such an overpacker too!! i usually pack the make up a day before, leave it, then edit it as i get closer to leaving. i still end up with stuff i dont use but i'm getting better i think. it gets sort of ridiculous when i'm sitting there with multiple swatchs on my hand for hours deciding on the perfect color to bring lol. such a first world problem. le sigh.
    jenn

    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a new follower of your blog! :D I usually never end up using every thing I bring when I go somewhere (I pack too much stuff! XD)

    www.artevolve.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! I used to pack so much makeup, and now I've learned that I don't actually wear a heck of a lot of it when I'm out all day like that. Mostly because I want to reapply my sunscreen and I can't do that over a full face of makeup lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have those RT and Ecotool brushes, and MAC 217! They are amazing! :)
    www.natalielovesbeauty.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bahaha, don't worry, Amelia, I'm usually like that too! I'm trying to get better at it though, and this particular time seemed to be a good start :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I overpack everything because I keep thinking that I *might* want to wear it or use it. I'm terrible! I usually don't end up using half the makeup I bring either...

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's so great that you're good with packing makeup, Georgina! I'm bad with everything usually, including skincare - haha! It can get so bad sometimes because I know I won't use it, but I still feel as though I need to bring it just in case :-/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Emma, I think just like you do when I overpack! I always bring things just in case I want to use it...and then I never do, of course! Eeek! And I know, I'm sorry about Mounia. I promise to stop talking about it for a while! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still need to look into getting Dolce Vita like you told me to, haha! And I'm not surprised you're good at packing light; you seem to have so much restraint in regards to makeup, like not opening up a new bronzer until you finish your current one, etc. I'm always in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know what you mean, Sharlynn. It definitely depends on who I'm with too, I find. Like, if I'm with my bf, I know he'll wait for me so I just take my time with my makeup (haha!), but if I'm with loads of other people, I try to make it as quick and simple as possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bahaha, I love it! Sometimes I swatch things for no reason other than to remind me how pretty something is. Haha. I should try what you do and pack the night before then edit right before I go. Thanks for the tip, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for following, Ashesela! And don't worry - I'm usually like that too! I usually end up using maybe half of what I've brought...this time was an exception :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ugh, that reminds me that I need to be better with applying sunscreen! It really is so difficult and annoying to do when you have a full face on though...you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I completely agree, Natalie! The RT line is just amazing in general I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad it isn't just me then hehe

    ReplyDelete
  22. I overpack everything! I mean, I never know what I will need in the end! haha
    x

    veruzkas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Don't worry - you're not the only one! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...