4.26.2013

The April Edit.

The Edit will be a new series of posts on Will Work for Makeup. I hesitate to call them monthly favorites, because they might include seasonal edits too, and also because they might not always be limited to products I actually like. Think of The Edit more as products I'm currently using that deserve a mention for one reason or another. Kicking off this series is The April Edit.
At the time I was given the opportunity to try out Cristophe Professional's Hydrating line of hair products, the Pacific Northwest winter wasn't doing my hair any favors, and my hair was fairly dry and lacked luster and shine. In other words, although trying out new shampoos and conditioners rarely excites me or surprises me, I went with it because I knew I didn't have anything to lose.

The Hydrating Shampoo is by far the most hydrating shampoo I have ever used. There, I said it. I've used drugstore shampoos aimed at hydration and moisture in the past and could never tell a difference, but with this shampoo, one of the ways I am able to vouch for its hydration claims is based on the fact that even when I'm in a rush in the mornings and only have time to shampoo (no conditioning), my hair still feels soft and smooth...not brittle and knotty the way it can often feel when you fail to condition after washing. Also, I started noticing after my first or second use that my hair would start to get slightly oily (from the natural oils on my scalp, not from residue) about a day to a day and a half after shampooing, whereas normally I'm able to easily get to the two day mark without any signs of oil. Though this may seem like an undesirable effect, in the winter, this shampoo was exactly what my hair needed to bring back some shine and softness. It's actually so hydrating that I think I'll be reserving it for use mainly during the colder months when my hair needs it the most, as my hair might end up a bit too oily if I try to incorporate it into my summer hair care routine. What I appreciate and like most about this shampoo is that it does exactly what it claims to do: hydrate.

The Hydrating Conditioner is also really nice, although it didn't necessarily surprise me to the same degree as the shampoo. It is thicker in consistency and more moisturizing than your average drugstore conditioner, but since I was using the Aussie 3-Minute Miracle as my daily conditioner before that, I found that it kind of paled in comparison, although it is important to note that one is a conditioner while the other is a treatment. Unlike the shampoo that I'll likely be saving for the colder months, I see myself reaching for its conditioning counterpart more in the warmer months when my Aussie 3-Minute Miracle may be too much. Both the Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner can be purchased from the Cristophe Professional website and retail for $8.99 each, so still within my drugstore hair care budget :)

I also started using hair oil again after going off of one for a few months, although I can't remember for the life of me why I ever stopped (I'm placing my bets on laziness!). I use one pump of the L'Oreal Ever Sleek Precious Oil Treatment, an oil mixture containing Moroccan Argan oil, sunflower oil and olive oil, and I distribute it through the bottom half of my damp hair after washing, and it helps my hair dry noticeably faster (both when air dried and blow dried), locks in the moisture, and temporarily seals the hair to make split ends and frizz much less noticeable. My hair is extremely shiny and feels ridiculously soft when I use it, and coming from someone who is an avid fan of Moroccan Oil, I can honestly tell you this is pretty much the same thing for a fraction of the price. I've become addicted to its cotton candy-like scent, although I wouldn't surprise me if some find it too cloying.
In terms of skincare, I've just repurchased another tub of the Emma Hardie Cleansing Balm, so I think it's pretty safe to assume I love it. I was open to trying out a new cleansing balm after finishing up my first tub, but after I failed to find one I was interested in trying enough to stray, I decided to repurchase the Emma Hardie one before I could have a chance to be without it. For moisturizer, I'm still using and loving the Embryollise Lait-Crème Concentrè. I find it also preps the skin nicely for makeup, and I've been relying on it to mix with the Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer (not pictured) to make the foundation more spreadable. If I want more of a glow, I might add a bit of my BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector in Moonstone into the mix. I also wanted to give a shout out to C.O. Bigelow My Favorite Night Balm, aka The. Best. Overnight. Lip. Treatment. EVER. NUXE Rêve de Miel who?

For makeup, my current primer love is the Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer because it makes my foundation last and keeps the oil at bay. In terms of cheek products, I rediscovered Dior Aurora this month, and I haven't touched another bronzer since. It's beautiful. No doubt one of my favorite items in my entire makeup collection. I'm still on a cream blush kick, and I already know the Stila Convertible Color in Petunia will be on high rotation throughout spring and summer for me. In exchange for concentrating more on base products this month, I've been painfully lazy with eyeshadow application, instead opting for a simple wash of color across the lid. Eyeshadow pencils like the Milani Shadow Eyez in Brown Deluxe and the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in Amethyst make it a breeze.

Kudos to you if you made it to the end of this post :)


Disclaimer: The Cristophe Professional Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner were sent to me free of charge for review purposes only. I am not affiliated with the company, nor am I getting paid for reviewing them on my blog. The opinions expressed in this post are honest and based solely on my own experience with the products.

31 comments:

  1. I adore Milani's Brown Deluxe xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok! I GOTTA try that lip balm as I use Nuxe at the moment! On my list next B&B trip!
    I use Aurora every day almost too! Except this week when I got Pink Glow hahaha! But that one's ust for cheeks really-I love Aurora all over my face! Best bronzer ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. another vote for emma hardie, after reading getting cheeky, this is on my wish list. I think I finally have to get it and see if it will work out for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know what you think, Claire! To be honest, I liked it at first but didn't really see what all the fuss was about, but the more I used it, the most I loved it. It smells AMAZING too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, I hope you like it! I lost mine for a while and was using another lip balm that works great during the day, but it wasn't quite good enough for use overnight. I finally just had to give up trying to look for it and bought a new one! I'm like the only person in the world that doesn't like NUXE (makes my lips peel). And we need to start an Aurora fan club :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too! Did you hear they came out with some new shade of Shadow Eyez?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa--you have definitely caught my attention with the C.O Bigelow balm. BETTER than Nuxe's Reve de Miel?!! I must try this! I haven't even tried the Nuxe one but I know it's widely been regarded as the best in the beauty blogging world so I believe it! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto. Now I'm super intrigued! I see some familiar stuff there as well, like Becca and LM! Keep wanting to try Embryolisse but maybe when it gets colder again this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow how many!
    x

    veruzkas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm obsessed with my stila convertible colour in gerbera but now I think I need petunia in my life too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely interested in that L'Oreal hair oil! I'm pretty devoted to MoroccanOil and have my 4th bottle on the go, but I'm always up for cheaper options. MO smells so good though. What's the scent on the L'Oreal like?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Embryolisse is a life/skin saver> I tend to use at night and wake up with super soft skin

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm loving this series already!! Oh, Emma Hardie Cleansing Balm...do you use it with a cloth? Congratulations of finding such a fantastic shampoo/conditioner combo!! I'm loving the LM Caviar shadow sticks too...picked up a couple more colors during the Sephora sale...seriously they rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to try the Emma Hardie Balm! I really would love to try the Embryolisse as well. The Aurora is so beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should definitely try the Emma Hardie Cleansing Balm and Embryolisse! I'd love to hear your thoughts :) And yes, Aurora is a beaut!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay, glad you're liking the series! Yes, I use the cleansing balm with either a muslin cloth, the Emma Hardie cloths, or just a normal washcloth. To be honest, I prefer the normal washcloths the most! What shades of the LM Caviar Sticks did you get??

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree! I use it both day and night. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It smells completely different from Moroccan Oil, kind of cotton candy like. It's a really sweet scent that some might find too cloying, but in my opinion, after you apply it to your hair and the scent dissipates a bit, it smells so good! I like the smell of both actually.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You do, Jennie! I think Petunia would look amazing on you! I want to add Gerbera and Gladiola to my collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm confused - how many what?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I'm the only person in the world you doesn't like the NUXE balm. It makes my lips peel and I find it to be kind of overrated, but I can't live without the C.O. Bigelow balm! It has a kind of thick, somewhat sticky consistency that helps it last all night and I wake up with super soft lips! I first discovered it almost 2 years ago and I've been hooked ever since :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the C.O. Bigelow balm, Sunny! It's seriously amazing stuff. And like I told Becca above, I'm the only person I know who doesn't like the NUXE balm. You should definitely give the Embryolisse a try! I got it when I ran out of my Kate Somerville Goat Milk Cream, and I was really surprised to find that they are really similar.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gah Tiffany, you've been showing us that stunning Dior powder laltely and I just slap myself for not getting it! I really love this idea, it's actually more fun then a monthly favourite, it's nice to see what's up, what you are using and the like. I really like the caviar sticks, amethyst is such a great shade, need to hoard more ^^!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Embryolisse is great! They also have a mat version that I like during the day. I would kill to try the Emma Hardie cleansing balm -- where do you get it from?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad you like the idea for the series, Teri! :) And yeah, I should really stop mentioning the Dior powder....I think it reminds people how they regret not picking it up :-/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, I should try that one out sometime! Is it still pretty moisturizing? I've noticed that my skin has changed and I can't get away with moisturizers geared towards oily skin anymore because they're not hydrating enough :( And I ordered the cleansing balm from beautybay.com the first time and feelunique.com the second time. It just depends on who has it in stock when I go to buy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've used both, and they're really different! I can see why you like the C.O. Bigelow one though, it's like a more liquidy Vaseline that sort forms a barrier over your lips. I usually wake up with some extra product sitting on my lips, it's so thick!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Me too, and that's why I like it so much! My lips feel so soft in the morning because it locks in the moisture all night. To be honest, I didn't have high hopes when I first started using it because of the consistency (it seemed more like a lip gloss than a lip balm), but I'm obsessed with it now :) I still use the NUXE from time to time to see if I'll change my mind, but it hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Rose Gold & Plum...love both!!! I bought Smoke too but didn't like the silver sparklies so it got returned.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooo, I have Rose Gold too and I love it! There was another shade I wanted too (can't remember the name right now), but it's not available at Sephora. Annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You know we share our love for DIOR Aurora <3
    I still haven't purchased any Stila Convertible Colour, I want so many shades! hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...