4.08.2013

Hydrating Serums.

Although my skin used to be extremely oily and is more in the combination category now, I've realized that just because my skin isn't dry necessarily, it doesn't mean it can't be dehydrated. And my skin was definitely dehydrated.
Even when my skin was feeling rather oily, it didn't feel plump or supple. The oil just sat on the surface and my skin still lacked any real moisture. When I had moisturizer on, my skin felt okay, but the second I washed it off, my skin felt parched again. It was almost as if moisturizer simply masked the dryness. So, I decided to try something I had never tried before: a hydrating serum.

I originally had Indeed Labs Hydraluron Moisture Booster in mind, but since it's impossible to get a hold of in the US (unless you were one of the lucky ones who picked it up from Walgreens during the short time it was available there), I picked up the Vichy Aqualia Thermal Fortifying & Soothing 24Hr Hydrating Concentrate instead. Meanwhile, Jane from Modesty Brown, heard my plea on Twitter for Hydraluron and offered to send one over for me from the UK (Thanks, Jane!).

I use either the Hydraluron or the Vichy Hydrating Concentrate in my nighttime routine, after I apply my La Roche-Posay Effaclar Serum, but before moisturizer (a hydrating serum does not take the place of moisturizer!). I used one exclusively every night for one week before alternating with the other over the span of about two and a half months because I wanted to have used them both fairly equally by the time I reviewed them on the ol' blog.

The Vichy Hydrating Concentrate has a viscous liquid consistency and a light, fresh cotton type of scent. In contrast, the Hydraluron has a gel-like consistency and is unscented. For me, they both work very, very similarly. Both serums are hyaluronic acid based products that are meant to be used in conjunction with a moisturizer to maximize the hydration provided to the skin.

Both sink in to the skin quickly and when I wake up in the morning, my face feels plump and hydrated. I don't find that I need to use a hydrating serum during the day too, as the effects of both serums last well throughout the next day for me.The only difference I can really detect between the way the two serums perform is that Hydraluron may be the slightest bit more hydrating, but only by a little. For all intents and purposes, I view the two as being pretty much the same and interchangeable for me, now that my skin type is more combination, but also in the dead of winter when it was incredibly dry and patchy. I don't really prefer one over the other.

Overall, if you've felt that your skin has been crying out for extra hydration that you haven't been able to provide with a moisturizer alone, I'd highly recommend considering adding a hydrating serum to your skincare routine. Both the Vichy Hydrating Concentrate and Hydraluron are fantastic options, and I would recommend both in a heartbeat. 

Those in the US who have moaned and groaned with me over the exclusivity of Hydraluron to the UK and Canada need not feel left out any longer - Vichy's offering is very similar, with the main differences being the consistency and the added fragrance.

I purchased the Vichy Aqualia Thermal Fortifying & Soothing 24Hr Hydrating Concentrate from Ulta for $35, and I paid for the Indeed Labs Hydraluron Moisture Booster that Jane sent me from the UK, but it is available from Boots in the UK for £24.99.


27 comments:

  1. I've been the same, and using the Dr. Jart+ Most Moist Serum has changed so much including decreasing spots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the packaging! so simple!

    http://www.youtube.com/user/happymimimimi?feature=mhee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm obsessed with Hydraluron and had the same issue as you did; not dry, but totally dehydrated skin. I'm in Canada and have easy access so let me know when you need a new tube! It's only $20 here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful to hear that people without access to Hydraluron have an alternative, I am going to try to pick up both of these whenever I get a chance. I use an Aldi branded hyaluronic acid and hopefully it will hydrate my skin well, as like you I find the oil sits atop my skin and doesn't provide any benefit for me, and just ruins my forehead in photos ;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I luuuurve my Hydraluron! It just became available in Canada and I'm smitten!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tiffany, I've heard a lot about Hydraluron but I haven't really looked into it! You're making me pretty curious now! I use Caudalie Moisturizing Sorbet when I need hydration. It's a light cream that hydrates well! The SOS serum is really good as well. I gave my bottle to my bestie because she was having skin problems at that point, and now she's on her second bottle already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was able to find Hydraluron in Walmart here in Canada! It's some great stuff, really improved my skin moisture retention!
    natalielovesbeauty.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the mention Tiffany, I was glad to be of service. It's good news that the Vichy is similar because I know how frustrating it is not be able to get hold of a product easily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah I hear about Hydraluron ALL. the. time. All good things, of course. Now I am veeery curious! :P I have very oily skin but I know just what you mean about it being dehydrated a lot. I know we talked about this on Twitter but I recently started using Caudalie's SOS Serum more regularly (I used to only use it as a kind of...well, SOS serum--only on certain nights during the winter when my skin needed some serious TLC :P) and OMG is it crazy good! I usually wake up to a totally greasy mess of a face but since I started using the SOS serum nightly, I wake up and my skin is completely smooth and only a tad bit shiny on my nose. Everywhere else is completely normal and so soft and plump! I am ready to start experimenting with more hydrating serums, I think! This is a whole new world for me haha. Too bad Hydraluron isn't available here anymore. I'll probably just go for the Vichy first since it's available at my local CVS but if I like it, who knows, I may order the Hydraluron one day online! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard of Hydraluron! But being in the US it's great to know the Vichy is very similar!! Thank you for such a great review!! Do you think you'll repurchase either one or try something else? I've heard your Caudalie SOS rumblings on twitter so that's why I'm asking ha ha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ordered the SOS Serum with my VIB discount!! I realized I had used more of my serums than I thought and I'm definitely going to run out of at least one of them before November when the next Sephora sale happens, so I needed to act fast so I'd have another hydrating serum to use when I run out of mine :) Can't wait to try it after you and so many other people raved about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No problem, Jane! Thanks again for sending it to me :) If you ever need anything from the States, you know where to find me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you like it too, Natalie! I'm so jealous you guys have access to a lot of the skincare and beauty products available in the UK too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just ordered the SOS serum, Sunny! Can't wait to try it. I haven't heard much about the Moisturizing Sorbet, but I'll definitely look into it. I just need to finish up some of the products currently on rotation first ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You lucky ladies (and gentlemen) in Canada! So jealous you have such easy access to Hydraluron! Glad you love it too, Annick :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I completely know what you mean Emma. Oily/Combo skin can be both a curse and a blessing. I just try to remind myself that oily skin tends to get less wrinkles! :) Please let me know how that hyaluronic acid product works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for the offer, Alex! I'll keep you in mind. I really appreciate that :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree! I prefer the Hydraluron if I'm traveling because the packaging is lighter and not breakable :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really?? I've never tried any Dr. Jart+ products but I've heard good things about one of their BB Creams I think...and you make that serum sound so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yesss I'm glad I'm part of the enabling group LOL


    I'm actually thinking about finishing my second bottle of Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum (almost there) and start testing something else. I have Kiehl's Powerful Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate lining up, and I'm thinking about Estee Lauder ANR. I'll keep you posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haven't heard of that blog, but I just googled and followed!!! Yay!!! Skincare is my first love, so I'm always up for good reads!!! Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can't wait to hear how they work for you! I actually want to dabble in some Kiehl's soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay! I hope you like it too. Seriously, at the beginning of the year when I decided I was going to start focusing on skincare, I read through SO many of her posts to see what she recommended and raved about. Most of the products I started off with were based on her recommendations! I'm such a crazy fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Alex, it's probably a long shot but I am stuck in little ol' New Zealand and theres no chance of me getting Hydraluron here but I have been batteling really hydrated skin! Is there any chance you would consider sending me over a tube? :) x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Is there anywhere I can get this in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Walgreens is supposed to carry it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Do you know when? Because I don't see any info on it. On

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...