3.13.2013

The Nighttime Routine.


While it is crucial for me that my daytime skincare routine remains simple and concise since I often find myself in a scramble to get out the door on time most mornings, my nighttime routine is less time dependent and is able to incorporate a few more aspects beyond just cleansing and hydration, such as treatment and nourishment.


If I am wearing makeup that particular day, I will start by removing it with my Shu Uemura Fresh Cleansing Oil. This is the best makeup remover I have ever used, and it is the only thing I've ever tried that completely dissolves and removes my waterproof mascara with ease (meaning, without taking my lashes off with it). 

Although the oil can also be used as a cleanser on its own, hence the name, I prefer to complete my second cleanse (or first, if I'm not wearing makeup) with the Emma Hardie Amazing Face Natural Lift and Sculpt Moringa Cleansing Balm, which I reviewed the other day. The Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil succeeds at removing all of the makeup that is visible on my face, but I always have traces of foundation left over that do not end up coming off until my second cleanse. 

After patting my face dry, I apply about one third of a pipette full of the La Roche-Posay Effaclar Serum to my entire face and neck, carefully avoiding my eyes. If I have any breakouts or am anticipating any breakouts (that time of the month), I'll generously apply the Kate Somerville Anti Bac Acne Treatment Lotion only to the areas that I need it, typically my forehead and chin. It contains 5% benzoyl peroxide, and I find it works quite well at healing and preventing breakouts without drying out my skin much in the process.

Once the serum has sunk in and any necessary acne treatment has been applied, I apply a hydrating serum, such as the Vichy Aqualia Thermal Fortifying & Soothing 24 Hr Hydrating Concentrate or Indeed Labs Hydraluron (not pictured). Reviews on both are coming soon. Once the serum has fully absorbed into my skin (it takes only a few seconds), I seal in the moisture with a moisturizer, because let's not forget: a serum is a serum, and a moisturizer is a moisturizer. They are not interchangeable. A hydrating serum works to increase and maximize the amount of moisture provided to the skin, but the key is that the moisture must be provided somehow, and this is where a moisturizer comes in. The one I'm currently using after running out of my Kate Somerville Goat Cream (R.I.P.) is the Embryollise Lait-Crème Concentrè. I've been using it for less than a week, but so far, I'm impressed. (Thanks for the recommendation, Jessica!)

The last step in my nighttime routine is eye cream, and I use my ring fingers to pat the Pai Echium Anti-Ageing Eye Cream under and around my eyes. Despite being a fairly light consistency, it is incredibly moisturizing.

Of course, once everything is typed out and explained, the routine seems ridiculously long and time consuming, but in reality, I have everything down to around 10 minutes. And let's be honest, if there's anything in a beauty routine that is deserving of more time and attention, it's the skin. Period.


31 comments:

  1. great post. completely agree about serum and moisturiser not being interchangeable ... some nights when i am in a rush and/or forget serum i always feel like something is missing and my moisturiser is not soaking in as well without serum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really enjoy seeing night time skincare posts! Removing makeup at the end of the day is just sooo refreshing and probably ranks in my top 5 'most refreshing feeling' moments! Please do a review on the cult product that is Embryolisse Lait Creme Concentre! Ive heard a bevy of comments but dont know what to believe :) Will wait for yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree--skincare is the most important routine needed to keep!
    I've been wanting to try Shu Uemura's cleansing oil. It sounds fabulous on a lot of other bbloggers. The anti-bac also sounds really nice for me too!
    Thanks for sharing.~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love night time skin care. It takes awhile, but it is so relaxing and luxurious feeling to take such good care of my skin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are inspiring me to step up my skincare game. I just started using the Effaclar Serum and I have high hopes for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you, since New Year's Day I've been trying to improve my skincare. For me, the winner combo until now is: La Roche Posay Effaclar Serum + Origins Make a Difference Plus+ Rejuvenating Treatment. I feel my skin healthier, brighter and plumper :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah, I had no idea La Roche Posay had an Effaclair Serum! I must look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, glad your skincare regimen has been working wonders for you as well :) I may have to give that Origins treatment a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to hear how the serum ends up working for you, Chelsea! I honestly can't believe I waited so long to finally start taking proper care of my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree! I actually look forward to taking care of my skin now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. No problem, Amy! I used to use the Shu oil as a cleanser too, but I've since found better cleansers, such as the Pai and Emma Hardie ones. I still love it as a makeup remover though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely will, Shari! Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree. I've definitely forgotten before too, and I don't realize it until the morning when my skin doesn't feel as soft or hydrated :-/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see lots of lovely products! I absolutely agree that your skin care routine deserves the attention :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love everything! You must have amazing skin! The shu oil is on my list, I still need to stop by there but I really want to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Skincare > Makeup since good skin will last you a lifetime! I've been looking into Shu Uemura cleansing oil but there's so many kind!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Tiffany,


    There's so much to love here! I didn't realize Shu oils came in a pink bottle--- that makes them even better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had no idea either until I was looking around on their website a couple months ago. I'd never heard anyone talk about it before!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been using the Shu oil on and off for years! And the off periods were really just because I couldn't afford it, not because I ever found anything better :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree about your skincare philosophy :) As for the shu oil, I chose the Fresh one because it's geared towards more oily, acne-prone skin (which is what I had years ago when I first started using it), and even though my skin is less oily now, I've just stuck with it because I've never had any desire to change :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Dovey, thanks for your comment! The pink Shu oil is specifically for the Fresh version, which is geared towards combo/oily/acne-prone skin, I believe. They make tons of different kinds though, and they all have different colored bottles :) I love the pink though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE this. Shu oils take me forever to finish, so I always end up getting bored and leaving them for weeks on end. Then one day I'll have on a particularly heavy face of makeup and I'll fall in love all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Could you tell us where/how you got the Hydraluron cream? I've scoured the web, and while there were old posts that stated that it was sold via Walgreens, I haven't had success in stores or online.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A friend from the UK actually sent it to me. I couldn't find it anywhere over here either :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. They're just SO efficient at removing makeup, aren't they? And specifically in regards to my waterproof mascara, no waterproof eye makeup remover has even come close!

    ReplyDelete
  26. definitely trying the LRP effaclar serum after i'm done with my current peter thomas roth one. yeah, i just started really looking into skincare last year. went to asia, and got some sk-II facial treatment essence (saved about USD$25...wth, the price difference in asia vs. here is so outrageous!), and i hope that will make a difference as well. thanks for all your helpful posts! i look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much, Lesley! I really love the LRP serum, although I haven't tried many others. Do you like that Peter Thomas Roth one?

    ReplyDelete
  28. My blog is definitely not as sophisticated as yours (I've had it for over a year, but it's still , but your post has inspired me to write up about my own nighttime routine. Thanks for the idea, and congrats on your third blogiversary! (:

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much for your kind words, Lauren! I'd love to read your post if you'd link it here after you write it :) I love seeing what skincare products people are using!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks! Me too- there's SO many different products out there, it's nice to see what works and doesn't work for others.

    http://lalaladylauren.blogspot.com/2013/03/clean-slate-nighttime-skincare-routine.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...