3.04.2013

The Complexion Changer: La Roche-Posay Effaclar Serum.


Those who have followed my skincare journey from the beginning know that I was once an avid fan of La Roche-Posay's Effaclar Duo, an acne treatment that is both gentle and effective and is extremely popular in the beauty blogging and YouTube world. I stopped using it a few months ago after having used it for a couple years simple because I wanted a change, not because it stopped working for me. (I can't help my curiosity!) Though it's a product that is no longer in my daily routine, I had come to think of La Roche-Posay as a whole as a reliable skincare brand.

I had no idea the Effaclar range even offered a serum until I scoured their website a couple months ago. With more research, I discovered that people seemed to love the Effaclar Serum, a pore-refining anti-wrinkle serum, so I gave it a go.


The serum itself is clear and a bit more viscous than water, although the moment you spread it on your skin, it seems to spread just as easily and absorb just as quickly into the skin as water. It does not feel like an oil whatsoever. It has a strong chemical scent that dissipates quickly after the product is absorbed, and there is a slight stinging sensation upon application that only lasts for a couple seconds. I drop about a third of a pipette full of serum onto my fingertips and quickly spread it all over my face every night, after cleansing but before moisturizer, being careful to avoid my eyes.


The serum contains acids, an AHA-Glycolic Complex and LHA to be exact, that gently exfoliate the surface of the skin and supposedly minmize fine lines, tighten pores and refine skin texture. Though I haven't exactly noticed the biggest difference in my pores (they weren't that obvious to begin with) and I don't have any wrinkles yet to test out the anti-aging claim, I've noticed that due to the daily micro-exfoliation, dead skin cells that would normally clog my pores are gone (bye bye, pesky whiteheads!), and the increase in skin cell turnover helps to accelerate the fading of scars left by blemishes and the like. 

Since using this serum daily for the past two months, I've noticed that my skin is incredibly soft (I actually noticed this after only a few days of use!), my complexion as a whole looks brighter, my skin texture is more even, and a few scars that were left by annoying breakouts are fading faster than they normally would.


Though it says you can use it both morning and night, I've opted to only use it before bed, and even with once daily usage, I've noticed a big difference in the state of my skin.

I purchased my bottle from Ulta when I had a 20% off coupon that worked on nearly every brand, but this serum normally retails for $42.95, and I would pay full-price for it in a heartbeat. Just for reference, I've used a little over a third of the bottle using it once daily for two months.

Though I thought I may have been speaking too soon when I thought I loved it after having only used it once or twice, now, after two months of continuous usage, I can finally say with confidence: I LOVE THIS STUFF.

La Roche-Posay Effaclar Serum is available from Ulta for $42.95. 


24 comments:

  1. im a new beauty blogger & i hope like this your stop by my blog & if your enjoy it feel free to follow :)

    xx http://rorolovesbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really curious about your review on this and it sounds really lovely! I must track this down soon because I love me some brighter skin and the exfoliating part is great! The formula sounds really interesting too, thanks for the review Tiffany ^^.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem, Teri! Who doesn't love brighter skin, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally a Serum I can afford!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I know what you mean, Lily. Skincare can get really pricey! Another plus is that this one is easily accessible too, if you're in the US. If you end up getting it, I'd love to know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks pretty promising! I'll have to wait till I finish the stuff I own that contains AHA, because my skin can't take too much AHA in one go. I've been using Effaclar K and still loving it, so it probably can't hurt to venture further into the line!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome to hear! I recently have been using a gel cleanser from them! I like how its been making my skin feel but it smells quite like diluted acrylic paint which can be quite off at first!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the review! I can't wait to try this out to see how it works on my dull, acne scarred skin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LRP rarely disappoints! Glad you have had success. I religiously follow beautypedia.com (run by Paula's Choice) for quick reviews, and Paula doesn't seem to like LRP but I happen to disagree! I've always had great results with their products. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds wonderful! I used to have terrible acne when I hit my mid-twenties, I tried everything. I finally cured it by using the Clarisonic and have been using it since. I have been wanting to explore this brand more, I always here great things. Im glad its working so well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am currently using the acne treatmeat which still stings, my skin needs to adjust to it. The vendor for La Roche Posay gave me a full size of it and of the Mela-D dark spot treatment. The spot corrector really fades my scars after 3 use! I never heard of this line or of Vichy til I started working for Ulta. It is only sold at ulta and CVS in the U.S., I really love both lines!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard great things about Effaclar K, but I never bought it for some reason...maybe one day! I only started incorporating AHAs into my routine about two months ago, but I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one doesn't smell very good either, but it works so I'm able to overlook it :) Glad you like their cleanser, Sharlynn. I definitely am interested in trying out more from the brand.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had the same type of skin, and it worked wonders for mine. I hope it works for you too, Chelsea. Please keep me updated if you end up trying it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, really? That's pretty surprising to me since I've always had good experiences with their products. I guess what works for one person may not work for another, though. What have you tried and liked from LRP, Lindsay? I want to try out more of their products :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it is, especially considering how pricey quality skincare can be :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Clarisonic worked really well for me too, but I stopped using it just because I wanted to dabble more in chemical exfoliation, but I may go back at some point - who knows? My acne has gone down sooo much since I changed up my skincare routine. Thanks for commenting, Taylor :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Likewise I enjoyed Effaclar Duo but for a moisturizer Effaclar H is amazing. I included it in an ancient empties post...ended up cutting open the bottle, it was that great. Marketed as a compensating moisturizer for oily, fragile skin, I loved it in the spring/summer. Very calming and effective, think you'd like it Tiffany xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry the acne treatment stings, Melissa :( I guess I'm lucky because my skin isn't typically particularly sensitive or anything, so it was fine for me. I'm interested in trying out the Mela-D dark spot treatment though! The dark scars left behind by my acne is the bane of my existence -_- I've only tried a hydrating serum from Vicy, but I'm obsessed with it! I also want to try more from their line :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohh, perfect! I just ran out of my moisturizer and purchased Embryolisse to try out since my skin is a bit dry/combo at the moment, but maybe I'll try the Effaclar H in the spring/summer when my skin gets a bit more oily like it usually does! Thanks for the recommendation, Lindsay :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. oo this sounds great!! i'll have to put that on my list for later!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Let me know if you end up getting it and how it works for you, Joyce! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just ordered it from Amazon.com. It was about $10 cheaper than Ulta.com and came with free prime shipping. I will definitely keep you updated!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...