3.31.2013

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer: Is It Worth the Hype?

The release of the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealers was an exciting one for me. I ordered them as soon as they were available on NARS' website and have been using them exclusively ever since in order to thoroughly test them out. Bottom line: They are fantastic concealers depending on where you're using them.
Honey (left) and Custard

I'll be honest with you. I only intended to get Custard but ended up with Honey too because I wanted free shipping (I placed my order mere hours before NARS released a new free shipping code -_-), but I didn't mind too much because I prefer to use a pink-toned concealer under my eyes anyway. 

The Radiant Creamy Concealers are liquid concealers that come with doe-foot applicators. I apply it to my face using the applicator (not super hygienic I suppose, but oh well) and blend it out using the Sephora Pro Airbrush Concealer Brush #57 (aka the best concealer brush known to man, but I'll save that for another post). They are easy to blend out and have close to full coverage. A little goes a long way with these.

Although I typically apply concealer over my foundation, for the purpose of showing how well the concealer covers on its own, I ditched the foundation and am only wearing concealer in the 'After' photos. To start, here is my bare face:

In the following photos, I used Custard to cover up my lovely blemishes and Honey to conceal my under-eye darkness. The photos on the left are the 'Before' shots, and the ones on the right are the 'After' shots with only concealer (no powder or foundation).

A full face 'After' photo:

Before and After:
If I don't set the concealer with powder, I find that it starts to break down little by little starting at the 5 hour mark on my combination skin. Nothing too major, though. Setting it with powder extends the wear time by 3 or so hours to about 8 hours total before I notice small signs of breakdown and separation due to the oils on my face. It doesn't really fade at all when used on my blemishes and areas of discoloration.

When used under my eyes, although Honey is pink-toned, I don't find that it completely neutralizes and conceals the darkness under and around my eyes as much as I had hoped. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely still one of the better concealers I've tried for under-eyes, but I find that I get the best results when I use almost any concealer over my Armani Master Corrector in #1 Pink instead. Honey is a great concealer, but it doesn't neutralize the darkness quite as well as the Armani corrector. When used for my under eye area, I notice that the concealer starts to fade after 6 or 7 hours with or without setting it first, but it doesn't breakdown or separate the way it does on the rest of my face.

As far as the shades I chose, although I initially thought both were great matches for me (I typically use terrible indoor lighting when doing my makeup), since the sun has been coming out more and I'm able to do my makeup using the natural sunlight coming through my window, I've noticed that both Honey and Custard are actually a touch too dark on my NC20-ish skin tone. They don't look ridiculously mismatched on me, but they definitely require a lot of blending to make the edges invisible. This can sometimes be a bit of an issue since too much blending puts you at risk of blending the concealer away completely :-/ The two lighter shades NARS offers (Chantilly and Vanilla) seem like they'd be too light on me, so I'm not sure that my perfect match even exists within the range, although I am rather impressed that there are 10 shades total.

Overall, I'm loving the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer for blemishes and hyperpigmentation, but the Armani Master Corrector in #1 (plus a concealer on top) is still my go-to for my under-eye area.

I purchased the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealers from NARS for $28 each.


41 comments:

  1. Wow it did a really good job! :)


    lilynotlouise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how it looks on you! It's very natural!

    http://norwegianelephant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant post thanks. I've literally just been perusing the Nars website and you've saved me from buying 2 shades rather than just the one for blemishes x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a little obsessed with trying new concealors at the moment, so thankyou for the very in depth review! So helpful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the look of these- I'm struggling to find an under-eye concealer but these seem perfect for my chin/spots... I'll have to try them! x

    January Girl ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really did a very good job with blending it in because I don't see a colour difference. But yeha I understand, concealers need to be a great match in order for them to work perfectly. I might get one for under my eyes, but I'm still not too sure about it. Great honest review Tiffany, thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got the Honey concealer too..it is a bit too pink for me, so I still layer my peachy corrector (actually I use the eye brightener one b/c it's more fluid and doesn't crease like the actual corrector) over it. I had hoped that it would be my what they call "HG"..but I think I've come to the realization that no concealer is ever going to COMPLETELY cover that darkness. Lol. I did try the Armani corrector..and it didn't do anything for me..I was actually really disappointed!! Anyway, have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might have to try this! My goodness your skin is flawless :) Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These definitely are super high coverage and they have a lovely matte natural looking finish! I can see how it evened out your complexion and trouble spots very well! I rarely reach for concealer, I'm the type that dabs on more full coverage foundation on the spots! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm your post brought up a good point! Both Honey and Custard match my skin tone pretty nicely, but if they're just a tad too dark, it's true that there's nothing between these and the lighter shades: those seem really way too light for NC20!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems like anyone without really dry skin tends to love these. I agree that the two lightest shades are a lot lighter than Honey and Custard. And Ginger is way deeper than Custard. But again, hooray for 10 shades!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks so natural on you! I've been trying very hard to not purchase it but the temptation is growing LOL I guess I'll go for this one when I'll hit pan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's definitely worth a try! A lot of people adore it even more than I do. Let me know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel like it'd be best on normal skin, but then again, isn't everything? ;) I find that the oils on my face still break it down after a few hours. And yes, I love the extensive shade range - I just wish there was a match for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know, and I hate having to do too much mixing (of foundations or concealers) in order to get my perfect match. I'm too lazy for that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, it's definitely a natural matte finish, which I love! And using a full coverage foundation as concealer sounds like a great way to cut down on the amount of products you have to use :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww, that's too bad about the Armani corrector, but I guess nothing will work for everyone. I have yet to try the Bobbi Brown correctors, but I've heard that they crease from multiple people and now you too, so I'm not too keen on that. Thanks for your comment, Lesley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Teri! A lot of people seem to love them, and I've seen a lot of great reviews of how well they work for under eyes, it just wasn't a miracle product for me. Hope you have better luck with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Let me know what you think of it if you end up trying it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. No problem, Hannah! Glad the review was helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Tiffany, I loved this review--- it was so comprehensive! I think you've touched on all the major points --- I also wish there was a color in between Vanilla and Custard, because that's where I'd fall too (at least at the moment). (With the regular concealers I just bought both). I also agree that the blending is a bit difficult if you don't want to sheer things out! Overall, I still like my NARS RCC so far.... and am tempted by Custard still after seeing how well it works on you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great review - I appreciate how thorough you are! I'm around your skintone and I agree there isn't a very good yellow based shade at this depth.

    ReplyDelete
  23. One of the best reviews I've seen on these thus far, thanks! x Sound a little drying for my skin possibly but I am def intrigued nonetheless !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really great review Tiffany! I was really curious about these, they look so creamy! I really need a heavy duty conceal for under-eye though so I don't think this would be sufficient. That's really unfortunate that they wound up too dark in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  25. thanks for this nars concealer review

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm just discovering your beauty blog for the first time (love the cute name!!)...anyhow, thanks for all the info. I bought this and love it! I use custard. The consistency is great, I tried using once as a sheered out foundation and it actually worked beautifully.

    Btw, have you tried the new NARS loose setting powder, I currently use this to set (great for this concealer too may I add) along with my clients.

    http://stylebymeliblog.com
    Meli :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you, Meli! Glad you found my blog :) I haven't tried the setting powder, although I really want to! I just can't justify another powder purchase right now :-/ Have you tried the pressed one too? Do you prefer one over the other?

    ReplyDelete
  28. No problem :) Hope you found it helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you, Taylor! I need heavy duty coverage under my eyes too :-/ What are you currently using?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yay, glad it was helpful, Lindsay! :) I don't have dry skin and it doesn't feel particularly dry on me, but I have heard that it can accentuate dry patches on some, so that's something to be aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks, Emi! I really wish there was a shade lighter than Custard. That would be ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Dovey, thanks so much and I'm glad you liked it :) How do you like the regular concealers? Are those the stick ones? Do you prefer the RCC over the stick ones? I haven't heard much about those so I'm curious :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. OOOH this is looking really good! thanks for the review! putting this on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I tried this in the store and didn't like them. Darn. Same as you...the color match was pretty good, but not great and when I went out in the sun I could really the difference from my skin tone. I've got fine lines under my eyes, and unfortunately I found this settled and emphasized them. But in hindsight, I'm wondering if it is because the SA used too much and didn't blend it out enough....?? Ok, I want to try the Master Corrector now!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hmm, I don't have issues with it settling into fine lines, but you're right - it could definitely be due to the SA using too much and not blending well enough. I wonder if there's a way to get a sample of it at Sephora so you could try applying it at home yourself? And omg. I love the master corrector! So worth the money :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I finally could buy it! Yeah! But... after trying for two weeks my final verdict is that I really like it for covering marks and blemishes but I still prefer the Estée Lauder Double Wear concealer for my dark circles :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I really want to try the EL Double Wear concealer some time! You make it sound like a fantastic product :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...