2.26.2013

The Masks.


I'm still fairly new to the world of face masks. Prior to my skin care overhaul at the start of the year, I didn't have any masks in my routine that I used regularly.The three masks I introduced into my routine have really helped to turn my skin around, each in their own ways.


Though each mask serves a completely different purpose, if I could only choose one, I would undoubtedly go with the REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask. One of the biggest changes I made to my skin care was cutting out physical exfoliation and replacing it with chemical exfoliation; in other words, swapping out my Clarisonic Mia for products with exfoliating acid components. 

As you might expect based on the name, the REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask mask contains glycolic and lactic acids, as well as tartaric and citric acids, that work to gently slough away dead skin cells, aiding in skin cell turnover and as a result, acne scarring, wrinkles and clogged pores. About once a week, I'll apply a pump of the orange marmalade-like mask all over my face and let it sit for 15 minutes before removing it with a warm, damp washcloth. REN recommends leaving it on for 10 minutes, which I did the first time I used it, but as I noticed my skin was able to handle a bit more than that, I've since been leaving it on for a bit longer without any problems. It tingles just a bit towards the latter half of the 15 minutes, and my skin is often a bit pink when I remove the mask. However, it also leaves my skin feeling incredibly smooth, soft, clear, and the immediate glow is undeniable. I can't live without this!

Depending on how oily and/or congested my skin feels (and how lazy I am, let's be honest), I'll use my Aesop Parsley Seed Cleansing Masque up to twice a week. It's a clay cleanser that is unlike any I've tried before. It's far lighter in consistency and less drying than most clay masks, but it still unclogs pores and de-slicks skin like the traditional clay mask. I apply a thin, even layer to my skin after cleansing and while the mask applies more like a clear lotion, it dries down to a grey layer on the skin after a minute or two. It has an lavender scent that is quite herbal and calming. I rinse it off after 15-20 minutes and my skin feels clean and clear but not particularly stripped of moisture, provided I don't use it when my skin is dry. Unlike most clay masks, Aesop's doesn't leave my skin feeling tight and itchy, a result of the stripped oils. It has become my go-to product when I feel my skin needs a bit of deep-cleansing, perhaps at the end of the week.

When my skin is feeling dry or dehydrated, I'll swap out my nighttime moisturizer for a healthy dose of Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask. This is my first overnight mask, and to be honest, I thought it was a bit odd at first that you'd apply a mask and leave it on for hours without rinsing it off. Although I do love using it as needed, I fail to identify many differences between it and an incredibly hydrating night cream, if you already have one of those (I don't). Especially when paired with a hydrating serum, the moisturization provided to my skin lasts well into the morning and leaves my skin feeling ridiculously soft and plump.

The REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask is available from Sephora for $55 for 1.7 oz.
The Aesop Parsley Seed Cleansing Masque is available on their website for $37 for 2 oz.
The Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask is available on their website for $23 for 3.4 oz.

25 comments:

  1. I have been obsessed with masks! I just picked up the same REN mask as yours and the Origins Charcoal mask from sephora online. I almost threw in the Ole Henriksen mask I have been eying but I thought that was going a but overboard haha. I have been using this Avene mask for moisture lately, I plan to put up a post about it soon, but so far I don't really care for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on such a mask kick lately! I'm trying to restrain myself, but these are all on my To-Get list! I've also never tried any skincare products from these brands, so it's hard to not justify an introductory purchase =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where can you purchase the Aesop mask?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa, I linked to it on their website at the end of the post :) You can also buy it from Barneys online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been super into masks lately too... they're such a good way to wind down the day and relax! I've been mainly using sheet masks though... do you ever use those?

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, I'm curious, what are your favorite masks? I'm always interested in trying something new :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! How do you like the REN so far? And I always hear a lot about Avene but I'm not sure where the brand is sold :-/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Aztec Indian Healing Clay for clarifying and I also recently started using Antipodes' Aura mask. It smells SO good! And I'm also a huge fan of sleeping in Asian sheet masks, whichever ones my parents bring me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard good things about Antipodes in general! I really want to try out the brand now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice collection there, Tiffany! I have stopped exfoliating my skin altogether and replaced that with chemical peels instead. The REN one is really awesome! I'm a big Aesop fan, so I think I'll have to try that one at some point as well. I don't really do hydrating mask anymore. Strange as it may sound, I think oil does a pretty good job hydrating my skin ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've used sheet masks a few times in the past, and the ones I tried I found were great at providing hydration, but I also needed something for my acne prone skin too :) Which ones do you like to use, Alison?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo, recommendations, please! What have you tried and liked from Aesop and what oils do you use? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your favourite masks, they sound just lovely, especially the Aésop one sounds really interesting to me. And changing to chemical exfoliaters was the best thing I ever did, it's so much better! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. im a new beauty blogger here & I want love it if you check out my blog :)

    xx http://rorolovesbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really want to try the REN mask, I've heard such great things about it! I'm trying to focus on skincare this year so maybe I'll pick it up soon. Thanks for this post, I found it really helpful! I'm a new follower :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I use a lot of Asian brands like My Beauty Diary and Sexy Look (terrible name but great masks).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks! I think I've tried My Beauty Diary before but I can't remember for sure. And Sexy Look....the name is.....questionable. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Right?! I can't believe it took me so long to make the switch!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Anna! You should definitely give the REN mask a try. I think they also make a similar mask but geared towards sensitive skin if that applies to you. Let me know what you think if you end up trying it. Thank so much for following! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you don't mind me asking, why did you stop using your clarisonic and switch to chemical exfoliators? I'm trying to decided whether or not I should get a clarisonic as I have the same skin type as you. Do you still use it on occasion?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sally! Of course I don't mind you asking. The Clarisonic isn't bad; in fact, I really liked it when I used it. I didn't stop using it because it was bad or I didn't like it anymore, but I just wanted to switch things up a bit.


    The more I started researching into skincare, it seems that physical exfoliation like the Clarisonic could potentially cause little, tiny undetectable scratches on the surface of the skin, which obviously, isn't ideal. This may be more if you overuse the Clarisonic, but I know one of the skincare experts and bloggers that I trust with all things skin-related (Caroline Hirons - her blog is linked in my blog roll in case you're interested) isn't really a fan of manual exfoliation, and I think she even tells people that using it twice a week may be too much. I think this probably depends on your skin type, though.


    When I was using it once a day at night, I never had any adverse reactions per se, but ever since I switched to my new skincare routine (which includes a million changes, with just one of them being switching from manual to chemical exfoliation), my skin has never looked better.


    To be honest, I haven't used it since the start of the new year, but that's not to say I would never use it again. I think if my skin ever felt really, really congested and in need of just a good, thorough exfoliation, I'd probably use my Clarisonic over a chemical exfoliator just because it seems a bit more efficient to me.


    I hope that helps! Sorry for such a long explanation. Let me know if you have any more questions, although I have to warn you, I'm hardly the skincare expert! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for your response! I think I'm going to give a Clarisonic a try. I feel like the chemical exfoliants I'm using at the moment aren't enough so I hope it'll help me get a deeper clean since my skin is super oily.

    ReplyDelete
  23. No problem, Sally! My skin was pretty oily when I was using the Clarisonic too and I thought it worked great. My skin is more balanced now and I don't feel like I need such intensive exfoliation on a daily basis anymore. Let me know how it ends up working out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You should definitely check it out, especially if you don't have sensitive skin (it may be a bit irritating if you do). I'm definitely going to repurchase it when I run out :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...