2.10.2013

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light.


Being one of the most hyped up powder releases in a long time, of course my ears perked up and I picked up an Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder of my own. Can I just say that trying to blindly choose a shade without any online reviews or swatches to reference was the MOST. DIFFICULT. THING. EVER...especially since all 6 shades are meant to work on all skin tones, and the shade choice is really just based on your lighting preference. 

After reading Hourglass' descriptions of the type of finish created by each shade over and over again, I finally settled on Diffused Light, described by Hourglass as "a soft, warm pale yellow that reduces redness and gives skin clarity - like a soft ray of morning light." I suffer from some red blotches (technical term right there) on my face, and although I certainly did not except a finishing powder to completely correct that, I figured it wouldn't hurt either.



Yes, it was sprinkling outside. Oh, the things I do for blogging! :D


It was a bit overcast outside so the the powder looks more white than it is. In real life, it's quite a bit more yellow, as its shade description suggests. I can detect tiny, sparsely distributed micro-shimmer when looking at it, but none of it actually translates onto the skin. Unlike some of the other shades that may be better suited as soft highlight shades, Diffused Light is more of an all-over face powder.

Since I did not purchase the Ambient Powder Brush that is meant to be used with these powders, I simply apply it using my usual Ecotools powder brush, and it works just fine. 

When applied over a dewy base, Diffused Light takes away the bulk of the shine on the skin, while somehow managing to leave just enough so that the skin still looks glowing, natural and never powdered. It gives skin a balanced (neither shiny nor matte), natural-looking finish that just looks like your skin on a good skin day.

The effect of the yellow undertone is subtle. Like I mentioned earlier, I never expected it to completely counteract redness on its own, and it certainly does not, especially since it is only a sheer finishing powder after all. However, used over a base (foundation, tinted moisturizer, BB cream, etc.) and/or concealer that are already working against the redness, I find that Diffused Light just offers up that extra boost of color correcting that helps to make my complexion appear that much more flawless.

Wearing Dior Diorskin Nude BB Cream and Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light on my T-zone only

Overall, based on what I've heard and read about the other shades in the Ambient Lighting Powder line, I believe Diffused Light may be one of the more subtle lighting powders in the line-up. As it does not have any true shimmer, I also find that it is perfect for use all over the face and ideal for everyday.

I purchased mine online from Sephora for $45, but they should be released in-stores on the 14th.


19 comments:

  1. Whoaaa don't you look all fresh and Photoshopped!!! I keep hearing GREAT things about these, but it's so so hard to pick a "light" sight unseen! I guess I want them all haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! Lovely! You look bright and glowy. I picked this up in "mood", I'm not really sure what possessed me to do so. It's a lavender hue and I'm pretty sure I don't need to be adding and pink tones to my skin. This looks like a much better option! I think the powder is marvelous itself.. Thanks for the review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, so happy to read another great review on this! I can't wait till it's out! Your skin really looks amazing, so even toned and smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah, I don't know if I'd go that far, but thank you! I can't wait for them to be in-stores so I can look at them in real life....might be bad for my wallet though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, have you reviewed it yet? I'll go check your blog after this to check. Does it work well as a cheek highlight at least, or no? I want to check out all of the shades in stores!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Teri! That's probably partly due to the makeup and mostly due to my new skincare routine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not yet.. Soon. I'm still gathering my thoughts. It's too dark for me as a highlight but layered its sort of a gorgeous blush on my skin tone. I definitely want o check out the other shades as all. I feel like I could find a way to work them all! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read nothing but good reviews on this powder which means that I have no other choice: I have to get my hands on this product! Otherwise, I would just be rude! Is it obvious that I'm desperately looking for a good excuse to buy this product? haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. u kno i adore hourglass makeup! fab review... may need to give this one a try xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm become a bit obsessed with powders recently and this post has definitely fuelled my obsession. Your skin looks absolutely lovely - really luminous. I'm going to have to pay a visit to Space NK I think! x Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me too! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your mentality! Yes, it would be rude! Haha. I have a feeling the other shades in the line are pretty amazing too. Can't wait to see them for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Catrine! Glad you found the review helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much, Becky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Faye :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard about these all week long... makes me wonder how amazing they really are. By looking at your photos I am almost convinced I will love it. Looks great on your skin. Flawless. I love powder products like this.. can never have enough. Only question is which shade? lol tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this one and Dim Light and I really like both, but I've heard mixed reviews on the powders as a whole, to be honest. You should swatch them at Sephora and decide for yourself! It was so hard to decide on a shade without seeing it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you could only have one which would you prefer Tiffany? Dim light or Diffused? Thank you! I Adore your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmmm, well I've been using Diffused Light more just because I can dust it on without any regard to how it looks, whereas I know if I'm not careful with Dim Light, it will make me look muddy if I apply too much. But keep in mind, I'm also quite pale right now, so if you're not as pale as me (NC20), you may not have that issue with Dim Light.

    I see more of a noticeable difference in my complexion with Dim Light though, so honestly, although I've been using Diffused Light more, I'd have to say that if I could only have one, it'd be Dim Light :) Sorry for the long winded response!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...