7.26.2012

Too Faced Better Than False Lashes?


Due to my depressingly sparse, pin straight lashes, I'm always up for trying out a new mascara, and when that let's me down, false lashes never fail to make me feel glamorous on a night out. So when Too Faced released a new mascara duo, or "lash extension system," that claimed to be able to give me lashes that were "better than false lashes," I was both curious and eager to give it a try.

The Too Faced Better Than False Lashes Lash Extension System with Flexistretch Nylon Fibers includes two products - the first is an activating mascara and top coat (gold tube), and the second contains the nylon lash fibers (smaller, white tube).



The instructions include 3 steps where you first use the mascara as a base, then the nylon lash fibers on top of that before finishing off with a final coat of mascara.

Activating mascara and top coat (steps 1 & 3)

Nylon lash fibers (step 2)

The nylon lash fibers is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. It looks like cotton ball pieces wrapped around a lash spooly, and once you apply it, it literally feels like you have cotton ball residue stuck in your eyelashes :-/ Needless to say, it kind of creeps me out.


Below is how my lashes looked after a base coat of the mascara and a generous coat of the nylon lash fibers.


The following three photos show how my lashes looked after all 3 steps.



For me, this mascara duo does nothing for me. It does not volumize nearly enough, and the little curl that it provided me with was completely lost after half an hour. I will say, however, that it provides a fair amount of length, which I appreciate, and it does not smudge on me at all.

Overall, I don't think I would recommend this product as I feel it still needs quite a bit of work in order to truly be able to do even half of what it claims it can do. For a product that is only a good lengthening mascara at best, there are a lot of other, more affordable options out there.

Too Faced Better Than False Lashes Lash Extension System with Flexistretch Nylon Fibers  is available from Sephora for $35.


Disclaimer: This product was sent to me free of charge for review purposes only. I am not affiliated with this company, nor am I getting paid for this review. The opinions expressed in this review are honest and based solely on my own experience with the product.


20 comments:

  1. I realized over years of experimentation that straight asian eyelashes do not work well with any mascaras containing water, even "waterproof" ones. Water straightens our lashes just like wetting curled hair will return it to it's natural shape. I use CG waterproof mascaras because they don't contain water and are able to hold the curl so much better than mascaras that contain water. My favorite is Lashexact and if you haven't already you should try it out ! My lashes never uncurl when I'm wearing it, even after 12+ hours. I'm not sure what HE brands don't contain water but CG is the only drugstore formula I've found that fits the bill :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow those fibers look so strange!!! you are right, like cotton!! i would be so scared that they would go loose and go into my contacts!! thanks for your honest opinion and review! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the honest review, Tiffany! It's always a bummer when mascaras are marketed to be incredibly amazing. There is absolutely no way anyone's lashes can look the way they do on the packaging though.... Too Faced definitely used falsies on the model (but what macara ad hasn't?). What's your favorite mascara? I'm always looking for some good mascaras to try and I have thin, wimpy lashes. Right now I'm loving Maybelline's One by One waterproof. Have you tried that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good review, nice to know that not everything they claim for really works!

    HippieChicPao

    ReplyDelete
  5. thesmalllittlethingsinlifeJuly 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM

    Umm, I'd be scared to get those fibers in my eye!! It's a recipe for eye infection! No thanks but thanks for being brave for us ;) 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review. I'm always looking for new mascaras to try, but with lashes that don't hold curls well, it's hard to find a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is exactly the word I used when I first saw these--"creepy". I still wanted to try a fiber mascara though, so I just bought L'Oreal's version. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've used fiber mascaras before and they really didn't look like that... it does look kind of creepy, and the result is really not very impressive. It's just blah.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I've heard mixed reviews on this mascara, so I'm not sure whether or not I'll end up buying it. I don't like the idea of going through that many steps to get the "falsies" effect on my lashes. I can get loads of volume and length with one to two coats of a good quality mascara from Maybelline or Cover Girl, so you're right when you say you can get better quality for a cheaper price in this case. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is just so typical - the promises on the mascara packaging are so good and really they do nothing to your lashes :S 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice, I should try it cause I love long lashes and I love to apply false lashes! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sooooo strange!!  I don't think I'd have the courage to try it.  Okay, maybe I would.  I am a mascara junkie after all.  But that is just downright weird.  Too bad it didn't give more volume.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for an honest review! It seems like an interesting concept, but something that doesn't live up to its claims. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. So weird to see little cotton wisps on lashes! I like the idea of this, I have tried a fibre mascara that is all in one (have just reviewed it) but not sure I'm game for this sort just yet

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear it's not what you were hoping for! Your eyelashes do look fairly thick and curled though with the mascara on! I've been using japanese brands of mascaras and they have been amazing on my thin lashes. If you ever get the chance check out kiss me heroine mascara, it's waterproof, has fibers but does an amazing job at lengthening, volumizing and keeping a curl for hours on end!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its a shame this doesn't work. The nylon fibres look strange!
    Carissa xx
    Vanilla Crush Blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those fibers look really weird idd, I wonder if it's suitable for ppl who wear contact lenses? I expected more from something that requires 3 steps, too bad. It seems to hold curl though which is a plus :).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you change your blog layout? I like it :) I did not have a great experience with this one either. It lasts quite a long time, even overnight for me, which was sort of a plus and sort of not, haha. The cottony fibers were weird and felt sticky, and would often catch on my bottom lashes when blinking.... But mostly it wasn't practical for me because the steps just were a ton of effort - step 1, lash comb, step 2, lash comb, step 3, comb again, curl.... yeah i'm so much more of 1 or 2 step mascara girl lol! 

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was really interested in this set for a looong time, but I'm glad I never caved and bought it. I've been using the Estee Lauder Sumptuous Two-Tone mascara (w/black mascara for the top lashes, and a mini brush with brown mascara for the bottom) and I'm seriously impressed with it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...