7.05.2011

Three & Red Lips from Day to Night.


I recently purchased lipgloss #3 of 5 for Gloss-Out 2011. Introducing Chanel  Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss in 61 Fatale...

The packaging is very luxe but also very prone to fingerprints, in case that matters to you (it doesn't to me!).

The Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss has a unique, flexible, slanted doe-foot applicator. Love it.

Sheer swatch (left) and heavy swatch.

Fatale is a crimson red with excellent pigmentation (in terms of lipgloss). As with all Chanel lip products, it has the classic rose scent that you either love or hate. I actually find it a bit too scented for my own personal liking.

I purchased this particular shade because I thought that a red gloss would be much more wearable and less intimidating than red lipstick. I love the look of red lips but I hardly ever reach for red lipstick because it's just so damn high-maintenance, not to mention I tend to feel not very "myself" and kind of overly made-up when I wear it. Red lipgloss, on the other hand (especially one that can be easily built up like Fatale), can be surprisingly versatile.

For daytime red lips, I'd apply a thin layer to my bottom lip only and smoosh (technical term there) my top and bottom lip together, and that seems to create the perfect, subtle, glossy red stain.

For more nighttime red lips that are not as dramatic as red lips created with red lipstick, I'd apply a normal layer of lipgloss to my top and bottom lips, the same way I would with any normal lipgloss. This is the look I get:
It's still red, but much more comfortable for me because it's a gloss and because it's not an uber bright shade of red.

And I'll show you a close-up of my eye makeup, in case you're interested.
Hello mascara smudged on my eyelid! 

It's so funny because about every other blogger I interrogate for a Blogger Interrogation post says that their makeup pet peeve is mascara smeared on the eyelid. I think it's because my lashes are fairly short and my mascara wand (Cover Girl Lash Blast) is huge, but it happens to me pretty much every day! Oopsies ;)

The main color I used on my eyes was a MAC eyeshadow in Hocus Pocus, a shimmery brown-gunmetal shade from the recent Bloggers' Obsession collection. I figured it'd be a nice crease/outer-v shade and I was right! I also think it'd be nice for people who like to use dark eyeshadow on an angled eyeliner brush as more subtle eyeliner rather than using a traditional eyeliner (pencil, gel, etc.). This particular shade would make a great, less harsh alternative to black.

Face:
Origins VitaZing
Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda Concealer Palette
Maybelline Dream Matte Powder in Sand
Benefit Hoola
Benefit Sugarbomb

Eyes:
UDPP
MAC e/s in Era (lid)
MAC e/s in Hocus Pocus (crease and lower lash line)
MAC e/s in Wedge (blend out Hocus Pocus)
MAC e/s in Dazzlelight (highlight)
UD 24/7 pencil in Zero
Cover Girl Lash Blast mascara

Lips:
Chanel l/g in Fatale

What would you use for a day-to-night red lip?


44 comments:

  1. Justine (Productrater)July 5, 2011 at 5:27 PM

    gorgeous, anything Chanel is oh so appealing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. red lips are so intimidating to me but this looks really nice and subtle! i love how you wear it for the daytime, it just looks really subtle and pretty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really love the gloss colour. Its like a jelly red rather than a full opaque red which I like. How is Gloss Out 2011 going? Do you think you will be able to hold out and only buy two more glosses? 
    xx
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got it!  It looks great on you Tiffany!  Your tweet from days ago actually inspired me to wear it again today. :)

    Also, I love love love your eye makeup here.  Very soft but dramatic.  I have that mascara smudge problem too.  Damn short Asian lashes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous color! I need to freakin' post my number FOUR purchase eeek.
    This post is making me want this color.. excuse me while I convince myself that I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a pretty gloss that can be built up to a very wearable red lip color. :D 

    Haha, I think my lashes are the same as yours as I always tend to get mascara on my lids too. -sigh- Darn those short lashes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. JessicaGettingCheekyJuly 5, 2011 at 6:38 PM

    Fatale is a total bombshell color. It looks absolutely AMAZING on you, none of this nonsense about needing paler skin :)

    Definitely picking this one up!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is lovely on you! Both day and night versions are made for you! I absolutely adore the Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss formula. Not sure why I only own 3?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my most favorite lip gloss formula of all-time! I don't own Fatale, but clearly I need to rectify this immediately! It looks lovely on you. =) 

    PS: My lashes are short and suuuuuper straight, so mascara ALWAYS smudges on my lids too. Drives me crazy. I've found that if I brush over it with an eyeshadow brush it covers it up a bit with the eyeshadow already on my lid. I refuse to start over with my eyeshadow just because of a teeny bit of mascara. Who has time for that? 

    ReplyDelete
  10. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 5, 2011 at 9:13 PM

    I know, right? Love Chanel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 5, 2011 at 9:14 PM

    Thank you, Kelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 5, 2011 at 9:14 PM

    Not sure yet but I hope so! I'm pretty much on track so far so I have hope that I'll succeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 5, 2011 at 9:15 PM

    Thanks! Your responses to my tweet were pretty much what pushed me to actually go out and buy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 5, 2011 at 9:15 PM

    Four?! I can't wait to see what it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 5, 2011 at 9:16 PM

    I know! I think my lashes are better suited to a smaller mascara wand, but I just love Cover Girl Lash Blast so much that I can't let it go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 5, 2011 at 9:17 PM

    Yay! I think it'd look lovely on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 5, 2011 at 9:17 PM

    Ooo...which 3 do you have? I love the formula!

    ReplyDelete
  18.  i always wanted to try red gloss. i think red lip tints are the least intimidating red lip product though ^^" and on another note, i bought hocus pocus and got it today and tried it and i loveeee it. haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 5, 2011 at 9:18 PM

    I know, right? I'm so used to it at this point that I won't even bother to fix it unless it's *really* bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh hocus pocus is pulled off beautifully here! i LOVE red on u!!! dont be scared of it! and in the first photo it makes you teeth look soo white! Day to night color i dont think i have one, I just pop on red if I want to but i do feel a bit weird doing it bc even though my age is old enough to wear it my face says other wise... a red i like to wear that is not too "red" for day time is MAC Sea Sheer Viva Glam Cyndi is nice too! 

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a beautiful alternative to the red lip!
    I know what you mean when you say you don't feel yourself, I'm the same. Even if it suits me it still doesn't feel quite right.

    Lovely Eyeshadow too :)

    Make-Up for Biochemists
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have Confidential which was LE :-( Genie and Emoi. I didn't review Confidential since that would just be mean LOL but I did feature the other too if you want to take a peek. I LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ohhh this is gorgeous! Also nice to see Hocus Pocus in action.

    ReplyDelete
  24. magicsinthemakeupJuly 6, 2011 at 11:22 AM

    This is absolutely beautiful - I especially love it in the nightime photo...I think gloss is a brilliant way of wearing red without it being too high maintainance - one of the my favourites is MAC dazzleglass in love alert, though it's quite sticky! Your eye make up also looks really pretty - right up my street ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I swatched this just the other day and drooled over how pretty it was. It looks so lovely on you, both sheered out and built up. Love the eye makeup too! I've been smudging mascara on my lids a fair bit lately, sometimes I remember to go over it with more shadow and sometimes I forget D: 

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oooooh, it looks so pretty! It looks lovely on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. hello bombshell! these are my favorite lipglosses of all time!! Genie is my favotrite... now i want this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That red is perfect on you! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  29. very very very lovely on you. I love both looks! I personally would be more likely to wear the daytime version...I love the see-through looking reds/brights. They're not as fussy but still look beautiful. I think you found your perfect red!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Daphnée Kwong WayeJuly 9, 2011 at 12:01 AM

    This is bloody gorgeous! :) you're very beautiful! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  31. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 10, 2011 at 12:28 AM

    Yay! I'm really like Hocus Pocus too, although it's not a very Summery color :) I can't wait to use it more in the Fall and Winter!

    ReplyDelete
  32. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 10, 2011 at 12:29 AM

    I like Viva Glam Cyndi too, although last time I wore it, I noticed that it started bleeding around the edges of my lips by the end of the night, so I haven't really reached for it since then :-/

    ReplyDelete
  33. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 10, 2011 at 12:30 AM

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! I love how it looks, but I just tend to feel so made up.

    ReplyDelete
  34. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 10, 2011 at 12:30 AM

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 10, 2011 at 12:31 AM

    Thanks, Nic! I've banned myself from purchasing any more MAC lip glosses because I just cannot stand the stickiness (except for Cremesheen Glasses, which are not sticky at all and I love :D).

    ReplyDelete
  36. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 10, 2011 at 12:33 AM

    I don't even forget to go over it usually...I'm just too lazy to care D: D:

    ReplyDelete
  37. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 10, 2011 at 12:33 AM

    Thank you, Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  38. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 10, 2011 at 12:33 AM

    I'm in love with the formula...just not the price tag :-/ Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  39. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 10, 2011 at 12:33 AM

    Thanks, Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  40. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 10, 2011 at 12:33 AM

    Thank you so much, Claire :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 10, 2011 at 12:35 AM

    I think so too - yay! Thanks, Holly!

    ReplyDelete
  42. WillWorkForMakeupJuly 10, 2011 at 12:35 AM

    Aww, thank you so much, Daphnee :D

    ReplyDelete
  43. It looks gorgeous on you! You look stunning as always! xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...