6.23.2011

What I've Learned Along the Way :)

When I first started blogging (you can read about how I started off here), I followed only a handful of beauty blogs, the only beauty videos I watched on YouTube were from Kandee Johnson and Lauren Luke (Panacea81), and I certainly didn't have any "blog friends." In other words, while there were several things/people that inspired me to start my own blog, I didn't have anyone giving me shout-outs left and right to help my blog gain popularity in the very beginning...it was a slooow process (like it is for most of us) but my little bloggy turned out just fine :)

I've noticed that once you have a certain number of followers, people seem to think you have all the answers on how to make a blog successful. In reality, I certainly don't have all the answers (if any, let's be real), but I have learned things along my blogging journey that, I have an inkling, may have contributed positively to my blog. 

**Please take this entire post with a (large) grain of salt - all of these points are entirely just my personal opinion and not factual in any way, shape or form.


WHAT I'VE LEARNED ALONG THE WAY...BLOG STYLE.
Blog often...
...or at least as often as you can. Obviously, we all have lives outside of beauty blogging, and blogging should never seem like a chore. However, as a reader, nothing is worse than finding a great blog and then not hearing a peep from them again for another 6 weeks. I don't think there is a right or wrong frequency for cranking out blog posts, but I do think it helps to try to remain consistent, whether you blog several times a week or a few times a month.

Give props.
You know that great feeling when you click on a new blog and notice that you're in their blog roll, or when someone gives you a shout-out on their blog? And how awesome is it when you discover an amazing, new blog based on someone else's recommendation? If you have a good blog, the shout-outs and blog love will come, but don't forget to also spread the love :)

Put in the time and effort.
Taking and using your own photos is always better than using stock photos. Showing swatches and/or photos of the product in use is always better than not showing swatches and/or photos of product in use. And finally, writing a thorough review of a product after using it for several weeks is always better than writing a "review" that includes something along the lines of, "I just used this foundation for the very first time an hour ago. I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it!" Put the time and effort into brainstorming blog post ideas, reviewing products, taking and editing photos, and writing blog posts...it'll pay off in the end.

Tweet, tweet!
Twitter is your friend. I can't tell you how many people I've met, friends I've made, and fun I've had on Twitter. Like blogging, it's a great way to connect with like-minded people (aka makeup addicts). People tell me all the time that they found my blog through Twitter, and I've found tons of great blogs to follow as well. You'd be surprised how huge the beauty blogging community is, but it's your choice as to whether or not you want to involve yourself in it...I'm just letting you know that it's a lot more fun if you do :)

GFC ain't nothing but a number.
Everyone loves having followers and everyone gets excited when they get new followers - I'm the same way. However, it bothers me when people focus way too much on what their follower number is and not nearly enough time on actually making their blog a good one to begin with.

Be PR-conscious.
Let me fill you in on a little secret: Your followers notice when you only blog about things you've been given for free! Yes, press samples can be great because most bloggers can't afford to buy new products all the time to review, etc., but when you just so happen to write glowing reviews on every press sample and rarely ever review anything you've purchased with your own money, it starts to look really shady and hurt your blogger credibility. My personal view on receiving products from PR to review is: 1) if I wouldn't consider purchasing the product with my own money, I won't accept it, and 2) if I were to imagine another blogger reviewing it and think that I probably wouldn't have the urge to read their blog post on it, I won't accept the product either.

Write a blog you'd want to read.
If I could only give one piece of advice, it would be this. This is my blogging motto. I strive to write the type of blog that I'd be interested in reading. I'm lucky that other people seem to enjoy reading it as well, but it also wouldn't bother me if someone told me they didn't like my blog because I don't blog for anyone else's approval or validation - I blog for me and the people who matter...you guys, of course! :D

What tips do you guys have for blogging?


60 comments:

  1. great post tiffany!! couldn't agree more with the above points, especially creating a blog that i'd want to read =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for writing this post; it's really encouraging to hear constructive thoughts a out blogging from someone who seems to have figured things out! I enjoy blogging so much, but sometimes go through rough patches when I wonder if I'm wasting my time. Seeing posts like this, and your blog's birthday post, give me renewed enthusiasm =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tips, tiffany! i know you're modest about it, but i definitely think you're a great role model for new (& old!) bloggers. you've definitely helped me become a better blogger! but aside from that, i'm just happy we met through blogging and became twitter BFFs! <3 ya girly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been blogging for as long as you have, only 1 and a half years, but what I learnt these years was: do it because you love it, there are times when some of my posts go with out comments, its discouraging, but I have to remind myself that I am here to do this because I love it. It is my passion and it doesn't matter if people care to comment or not. While it is also about the readers, it is also about me. And also to network, don't be cliquey, be open to have more "friends" from all sorts of backgrounds and blogging styles. Hmm that's all I can say right now :) 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post, with great advice!! Another tip I'd have to add would be to make yourself known! Comment, follow, tweet etc as much as you can to get yourself out there in the first place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great tips.  ITA with the Twitter and blogging regularly thing.  I have actually un-followed a lot of great blogs that just seemed to have died.  I also agree that photos taken by the author are more interesting than stock photos.  :)

    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great tips. I love that you emphasize having a passion for your blog and being dedicated to its integrity, rather than just offering quick tips on how to rack up followers. I just started my blog two months or so ago, and have written what I have wanted to read...and to my surprise, some other people like it as well. I truly admire your blog- thanks for the advice. http://powerfemme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like these tips because I agree with them all. Blogging is a fun experience and I'm glad I got into the blogger world. :] 

    One suggestion I'd have would be, to write from the heart and write about different things that interests you. Blogs that blog about the stuff that every other blog talks about tend to get boring. I always like reading blogs that add a little personal touch to their entries. I feel like I can connect with them in more ways than one. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great post and the tips are really good! Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. ""I just used this foundation for the very first time an hour ago. I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it!" <--- that made me laugh, because I've see so many people do it XD Good point about visualising whether or not you'd read a post about the PR-sent product, I hadn't thought of that. Though I'd like to think I wouldn't accept a product I didn't want to read about, because if I didn't want to read about it it's probably something I'm not interested in :) Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute post:) Actually, I don't have any tips:)  It's just my hoby, tiny pleasure and it hasn't any rules:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post!  The only tip I would have it to make your blog easy to read - visually.  Some blogs are just tough to look at whether it's the color of the font, the size, the background, or having a jumble of other widgets on the site that interfere with the posts.  It's turned me away a few times and that's a bit sad!

    <3 Sidd

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, very insightful. You have a beautiful blog. 
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this! It's always so great to get advice from successful bloggers. Love your blog and respect your opinions so much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. these are great tips! my favorite tip about writing a blog that you would like to read. I started my first blog over a year ago last year, but I was just slapping posts together and it felt like a chore. This time around, I am definitely taking more time to plan out my posts in advance, and it's way more fun doing it this way! 

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dianejoaquin11792June 24, 2011 at 8:20 AM

    tiffany can i just say how much i love you and your blog? you're so amazing at what you're doing. everytime i visit your blog and see that there's a new post i can't help but feel so excited because i know i'll be reading some very well written detailed reviews of products. i love the fact that the effort and hard work you put into this blog is very evident with each new post. i just love knowing the fact a blog like yours exist. i'm not sucking up or anything but your blog in my number one stop to all things beauty. one reason that i find myself addicted to your blog is knowing the fact you strive for perfection not for your followers but for your own self and that's something to admire about you and your blog. i know this is getting so long but i just wanted to express how much i genuinely enjoy your blog and every blog post that you write. i hope and pray you'll never ever stop blogging because i wouldn't know what other blog to follow. to summmarise my uber long comment i just want to borrow Bruno Mars words ''girl your amazing just the way you are" =D keep blogging to share your beauty wisdom to all gals out there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant post! I so enjoy reading you :)
    Don't ever change...
    X

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree whole-heartedly with everything you said! Very sound tips and advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really great post and reat tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Tiffany. I followed you because you have always given us your honest opinion about the product you love and dont love and thats what I value the most and you have always blogged so often that every so often im sitting here thinking 'what's tiffany going to blog next?' and you always have great ideas on what to write about. I dont think you need any more tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for this encouraging post. I think there are many bloggers out there, including myself, that find your tipps very helpful.

    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks for the help! i'm a relatively new blogger and i will def put your tips to action!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm a newbie and I really appreciate posts like this one..thank you for really encouraging new bloggers, who sometimes feel a little bit.. embarrassed talking to fellow-bloggers with lots of experience and followers..Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I feel like these kind of posts and videos have been popping up left and right recently. But I really don't mind as you have really good advice! I agree with all of your points (aside from the Twitter one as I don't feel the need to tweet haha) and it's great that you share your tips as an influential blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 7:19 PM

    Thank you, Faye!

    ReplyDelete
  26. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 7:21 PM

    I'm so glad to hear that, Dovey! I hope you continue to enjoy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 7:21 PM

    Twitter BFFs fo sho :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 7:21 PM

    Those are all fantastic tips - thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  29. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 7:22 PM

    I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  30. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 7:22 PM

    No problemo :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 7:23 PM

    Thank you so much. I think when you write a blog that you're proud of and other people just happen to love it as well, it's that much more rewarding :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 7:24 PM

    I agree - adding a personal touch is super important and adds personality to a blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 7:24 PM

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  34. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 7:25 PM

    I always figured too that blogging is my hobby and not my job, so I want to actually WANT to review something...not feel obligated to review it just because I accepted it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 7:26 PM

    It's my hobby too :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 7:27 PM

    I agree! I also can't stand when blogs have music on autoplay! o_0

    ReplyDelete
  37. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 7:27 PM

    Thank you so much, Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 7:27 PM

    Thank you, Alex! I'm glad you liked the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 8:43 PM

    That's so great and I'm glad you're having fun blogging now :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 8:45 PM

    Oh my goodness, Diane - thank you SO much for all of your kind words! I can't even express how much this all means to me! I love blogging but what I love even more is that there are people who like reading what I have to say. I'm glad you enjoy my blog so much and thank you again...you've absolutely made my day :D

    ReplyDelete
  41. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 8:45 PM

    Aww, thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 8:45 PM

    Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  43. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 8:45 PM

    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 8:47 PM

    Aww, thank you, Kirsty! That's so nice of you to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 8:47 PM

    I'm glad I can help :D

    ReplyDelete
  46. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 8:47 PM

    Great! Good luck with your new blog, Elle!

    ReplyDelete
  47. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 8:49 PM

    Aww, no problem! Don't ever be afraid or embarrassed to ask questions - I'll try my best to help whenever I can :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. WillWorkForMakeupJune 24, 2011 at 8:49 PM

    Yay! I'm glad you liked the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. great post hun, ive always loved your blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  50. I agree! I would also add don't spam your blog in other bloggers comments section because most of the time people will be more put off your blog than if you just give a regular comment on the post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  51. This was such a great post and you've definitely given out a lot of great advice! xo

    ReplyDelete
  52. Great post :) its quite nice that many bloggers are doing this kind of posts lately, its helpful for us begginers out there :P haha
    Thanks for the post :) i love your blog, keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Dianejoaquin11792June 25, 2011 at 1:23 PM

    well your blog is truly worth all my kind words and all the other praises you get from your MANY readers. it doesn't surprise me the number of comments you get in each post because your posts are well written you only deserve the best written comments aswell.
    PS.the only thing i could ever possibly say that i hate about you is the fact you always have me lusting over make up i can't afford to buy. hahaha.oh and the fact i'm absolutely jealous of your make up collection.

    ReplyDelete
  54. i really enjoyed reading this :) im awful with blogging though i try to get the hang of it now as im practically finished with university :)  your tips are really inspiring:) thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  55. WillWorkForMakeupJune 26, 2011 at 9:34 PM

    LOL! Don't worry, I'm jealous of other bloggers' makeup collection all the time! And I always see people posting about hauling entire Chanel collections and such and I could never afford that!

    ReplyDelete
  56. WillWorkForMakeupJune 26, 2011 at 9:34 PM

    Thank you, Nicoletta! I love yours as well - I've been reading it for forever now!

    ReplyDelete
  57. WillWorkForMakeupJune 26, 2011 at 9:35 PM

    Totally agree with that one too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  58. WillWorkForMakeupJune 26, 2011 at 9:35 PM

    Thank you, Jennie! x

    ReplyDelete
  59. WillWorkForMakeupJune 26, 2011 at 9:35 PM

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  60. WillWorkForMakeupJune 26, 2011 at 9:35 PM

    No problem - glad to help :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...