5.18.2011

The Shockingly Bright and Pigmented.

Since picking up Dior Aurora a few weeks ago, I've really been enjoying the look of a subtle bronzer on the cheeks with a bright pop of color just on the apples for a slightly sunkissed, slightly flushed look. For the pop of color, I've been reaching for a few of my 'scarier' blushes (i.e. the shockingly bright and pigmented ones) and applying them more sheerly with a duo fibre brush to avoid clown cheeks.

Clockwise from bottom left:
Barry M Apricot (matte, bright orange)
NARS Taos (shimmery, burnt red)
MAC CCB in Virgin Isle (bright orangey coral)
Illamasqua Hussy (matte, bright watermelon pink)
  MAC Salsarose (slightly shimmery, bright red with a touch of hot pink) (center)

Left to right (swatched heavily, then blended out):
Barry M Apricot
NARS Taos
MAC CCB in Virgin Isle

Left to right (swatched heavily, then blended out):
Illamasqua Hussy
MAC Salsarose

Lately, I've been favoring using my Sigma F15 Duo Fibre brush to apply these blushes because its bristles pick up far less product than traditional blush brushes, which helps to prevent accidentally applying too much product - and believe me, that's very easy to do with highly pigmented blushes! Brushes like the MAC 188 and 187 would work really well also.

 I first gently tap my brush in the blush two or three times (duo fibres don't pick up as much product as regular brushes), fluff the brush multiple times on the back of my hand to remove any excess blush to the point where I think there's probably not any product left on the brush, and then I apply whatever's left on the brush just to the apples of my cheeks and swirl gently to blend, paying close attention not to spread the color all over my cheeks - doing so with bright pink, orange, and red blushes may make you look like you either got a terrible sunburn or suffer from Rosacea...neither of which are very desirable! 

With bright and pigmented cream blushes (Virgin Isle), I tap my ring finger in the product once, apply it to my apples, and blend it out with a clean finger. You could also use a brush if you prefer, but I find that Virgin Isle is so pigmented that I get more control when I just use my fingers.

Anyway, my personal favorite of the lot is probably Illamasqua Hussy - so gorgeous!

What's your take on super bright and pigmented blushes? Do you go for it or do you steer clear?


Disclaimer: The Sigma brush mentioned was sent to me free of charge for review purposes only. I am not affiliated with this company, nor am I getting paid for featuring it on my blog. The opinions expressed in this post are honest and based solely on my own experience with the product(s).

25 comments:

  1. I am really into brights on my cheeks right now. I am in love with NARS Turks and Caicos atm. It shouldn't be a surprise since we like mostly the same things that I have every blush here, and love them as well! :) I enjoy color themed posts like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now needs NARS TAOS!!! totally going to steal ur idea with aurora on the face and on cheekbones with a pop of color =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The MAC ones seem much more pigmented in the swatches than the other brands!

    At the moment I'm using Clinique 'iced lotus'. It's quite bright, and the first time I used it I was a bit scared, but I love it now, and use it more than my other blushes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg... I so want Virgin Isl CCB since like forever!!! They dont do it anymore!!! :( great swatches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. definitely GO FOR IT =) illamaqua hussy looks devine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brightest is definitely Rock and Republic Immoral, that one is crazy bright, although I was hoping it would be more orange/peach and not so coral looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just go for it! :) Since the shade can always be toned down, the beautiful color is always there :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the swatches! The CCB looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nars taj mahal and exhibit a are my brights, but since I am darker I don't have to be AS careful! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like that apricot one! Ahh, I wish I wasn't so addicted to blush. I have to use em all up before I even try that one out. Grrr

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely picture with all those brights! And I just realized: the one that I like best is the only one of these that I own: MAC Virgin Isle! Yay!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I now want Salsarose and Apricot. <3 I have Virgin Isle and I use it as a base under my peachy/coral blushes, but I don't think I've used it on its own. I must remedy this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. MAC Virgin Isle looks gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hussy looks gorgeous, I have Barry m Apricot, it's one of my favourites x

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are all gorgeous! I love brighter coloured blushes but I never buy them, i'm definately going to be more daring :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those blushes are so nice - I've yet to try Illamasqua!

    I had Sleek's Flamingo blush and it was just way too pigmented and bright for me - I sold it on as it was too overpowering. I prefer to put the focus onmy lips or eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yey Illamasqua Hussy is my favourite blush too. Salsarose looks divine! I will definitely be picking that up at my next visit to MAC x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post & cute blog, im now following :) x x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been wanting Salsarose blush for ages! I do want to get it one day! Last month, I have been loving Full Fuchsia and Her Blooming Cheek blushes and now corals have taken over and I have been using the Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Tipsy. It's so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hussy is beautiful, I keep meaning to purchase that one! Virgin Isle looks gorgeous too xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the idea of the bright pop of colour, I need to whip my bright shades out!

    & I'll be ordering a couple of the smaller duo-fibre brushes the next time I compile a must-grab-brush list. I feel like the 187 is too big for my face & places the blush a little wider than I want!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for your comments, guys! Glad you enjoyed the post :) For everyone who does not own Virgin Isle, do not fear - it wasn't limited edition! It's a MAC Pro product so you can still order it at MAC Pro stores :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...