5.13.2011

Origins VitaZing


This little white and orange tube has been all the rage in Blogland lately and after using it everyday for several weeks, I think I'm finally ready to give it a proper review.


Origins VitaZing SPF 15 is an energy-boosting moisturizer with Mangosteen (aka the funny little purple pumpkin fruit rich in antioxidants). It retails for $35 for a 1.7 fl. oz. tube.

To clarify any misconceptions about VitaZing, because I know I was initially confused based on a few different reviews, it's important to understand that VitaZing is not a tinted moisturizer. It's a normal moisturizer that claims to add a "healthy hint of radiance that mimics the glow you get from a week's vacation." What does that mean, you ask? 

This is VitaZing straight from the tube. Note the tiny grey specks within the otherwise white moisturizer. Those grey specks contain the "radiance."

Here I've started to rub it into the skin, but it's still not even close to being completely absorbed.

Once you've started to rub it in enough, the grey specks release a tiny amount of color or "radiance" and you can see below, the previously white moisturizer is now turning into a skin-colored moisturizer. If it's hard to see, it's because the color is blending into my skin...as it should.

Completely blended in.

The coverage VitaZing provides, if you can even call it coverage at all, would be best classified as very, very sheer. It is significantly less coverage than tinted moisturizers and Face & Body foundations. The tiny bit of color acts to even out skin tone and add a healthy glow to the skin rather than cover or conceal the way you might expect a foundation or tinted moisturizer to. I've found that it does a great job at perking up a dull complexion.

My skin has been looking pretty good lately but while I haven't experienced many active breakouts, I still suffer from quite a bit of acne scarring, redness, and discoloration. VitaZing evens out my skin tone a little bit but it definitely does not cover any of my scarring or discoloration at all, and I don't expect it to.

Lately, all I've been wearing as far as base makeup is VitaZing, MAC Studio Finish concealer on redness and discoloration, and MAC MSF Natural to finish it all off. I've used MAC MSFN by itself before for sheer coverage but over VitaZing, not only do I get a bit more coverage, but I also find that the two just melt together on my skin (in a good way) to give me a super natural and radiant complexion. On days when I need more coverage, I also use MUFE Face & Body foundation over VitaZing and use my concealer and powder as usual. I love that combination of products because VitaZing adds a tiny bit more coverage to an otherwise lighter coverage foundation and makes it more versatile.

When used by itself, I do notice that my skin gets a bit too shiny for my liking. It has a pretty dewy finish and although I don't necessarily think that VitaZing is a greasy product by any means, it definitely does not have any oil-controlling properties either. I always powder when I use it but for those with normal to drier skin types, I think you could definitely just use it by itself without any issues.

Although the Origins sales associate told me that VitaZing is a "one size fits all" shade, it's really more like "one size fits most." I'm NC25 at the moment and the color is great for me, but I think that it would be too dark on ladies who are fairer than NC20, to be honest. Yes, it has very, very sheer coverage, but I definitely still think it would look noticeably mismatched on very fair skin tones.

Overall, I like VitaZing. I like it a lot actually...but I don't think I'm in love with it and I'm not sure it's a must-have but definitely a nice-to-have. It's a bit pricey for a moisturizer, in my opinion, but I can somewhat justify it because it does give my skin and complexion a little something extra that I really enjoy.

I think if you have good to amazing skin that is not too oily and not too pale, you may really enjoy VitaZing too. As long as you take it for what it is and don't expect it to be a tinted moisturizer (because it's not), I don't think you'll be disappointed :)


12 comments:

  1. Nice review. I've never tried anything from Orgins. This product sounds really good and I liked how it can give a little boost to our skin :P. $35 is pretty expensive though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how comprehensive your review was. I'm thinking about getting this but I tend to get really tan during the summer (not on purpose, I just tan easily from being outside) so I don't know if this would look too light. I think I might ask for a sample of this when I go to Origins to see if I like it enough to get a full size :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I gave in to the raves and ordered a tube!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started using this last winter and it actually blended quite nicely on my NC15 skin -- which I agree it somewhat surprising. Love this product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard so much about this, I really want to try it! I love tinted moisturizers so this could be a go :) thanks for reviewing!

    Becca x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Origins products are soo nice. I've been using the perfect world antioxidant moisturizer and my skin just drinks it up! only thing that sucks about origins is the price:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! You covered everything! I heard a lot about this too but still iffy about buying just because I have sensitive skin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am an NC15 and even though i only use a tiny amount i still think it looks too dark and weird on me! :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah! having been away from blogging for awhile, I haven't heard anything about this product yet. It sounds really cool, and like something that I'd like to try. I am really pale however so I don't know if it would suit me :/ maybe after I get a bit more color after the summer months kick in I'll give it a go. I never use my MSFN because of the light coverage and acne scarring that I have...so maybe i'll try this so I can finally get to using it! (do you like how i rationalize buying things I don't need? baahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great review, and it echoed a lot of my same thoughts I've been having. I have oily skin too and I find that it makes me a bit too shiny..so that is the one reason I'm not absolutely sold..

    Plus, I don't usually use a moisturizer in the morning and this doesn't really give coverage..so it's kind of an unnecessary step for me. I think it's great for those days when I'm not really doing anything, but I am still quite conflicted about it..and I've used it since January I think? Haha still undecided :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @EveryDay Makeup blog: I agree...it's a bit pricey :(

    @AngelicBetrayal: Yeah, you should definitely get a sample. I'm not sure how it'd look on darker skin tones. I don't think it'd look ashy or anything but you never know.

    @Krystal: Yay! Let me know how you like it :)

    @Catherine: Oh, really? Great! I thought it'd be too dark but that's great that it works for you!

    @Becca: Let me know how you like it! Don't expect nearly as much coverage as a TM, though.

    @Alma: I agree. I want to try more but the prices are definitely holding me back :(

    @Janalyn: Maybe try to ask for a sample first?

    @pixie81: Aww, I'm sorry :( Yeah, it's definitely not "one size fits all."

    @Caitlin: Haha! Don't worry - I think we all rationalize buying unnecessary beauty products the same way!

    @ellamarie84: Haha, I think if you're still undecided after 4 months, you probably don't really like it ;) I think if I didn't need moisturizer in the morning, I wouldn't use this either and just go straight to foundation instead. Unfortunately, my skin's been needing moisturizer lately so it's either use this *without* foundation, or use this *with* foundation...but either way, I need to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review! I too got VitaZing and although I do like it, I wasn't *as* wowed as everyone else. I agree it has a dewy finish... it almost reminds me of the finish of a sunscreen actually. And some pictures I'd seen in reviews made it look like there was more coverage, so it must have just been the lighting. But overall I am still happy with the product, there have even been days when I used just VitaZing, some concealer, and bronzer... and I NEVER EVER EEEVER go out without foundation so that's huge for me!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...