4.19.2011

♥ Revisited: My Top 5 Bronzers ♥


The general consensus on my Revisited: My Top 5 Blushes post was that you guys wanted me to revisit My Top 5 Bronzer, Highlighters, and Lipsticks the most. First up of the three is bronzers :)

Basically, the point of these Revisited posts will be to take a look back at my top 5 picks and see if and how they've changed or stayed the same. I don't take back anything I said about any of these products because at the time, I absolutely felt that way and loved them for reasons I discussed in those posts. Some of those products I still love (products that are still in the top 5 are denoted with an * symbol) , a few not so much, and others got pushed out of my top 5 because different products took their place.

My Top 5 Bronzers as of October 2010 were:
e.l.f. Bronzing Powder (from blush/bronzer duo)
*Illamasqua Burnish Bronzer (from Glint & Burnish duo)
NARS Laguna Bronzer
NYC Bronzing Face Powder in Sunny
*Benefit Hoola Bronzer

My Top 5 Bronzers as of April 2011 are:
*Benefit Hoola Bronzer
*Illamasqua Burnish Bronzer
Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel Bronzing Base
Dior Matte Bronzer in 002 Honey Matte
Bourjois Delice de Poudre in 52

Clockwise from left:
Benefit Hoola Bronzer
Illamasqua Burnish Bronzer
Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel Bronzing Base
Dior Matte Bronzer in 002 Honey Matte
Bourjois Delice de Poudre in 52

Compared to the original post, Benefit Hoola and Illamasqua Burnish remained favorites while others got switched out because quite honestly, I've just found much better bronzers in recent months that have bumped them out of my top 5.


(Swatched in same order as above)

1. Benefit Hoola is a bronzer that also doubles as the perfect contouring powder, in my opinion. It's super smooth and easy to blend and while the matte color is on the darker side, it can definitely still work on lighter skin tones (not super fair, though, I don't think) as long as it's used with a light hand and/or a duo fibre brush. Another great thing about this blush is that there is absolutely no trace of orange in it whatsoever.

2. Illamasqua Burnish is the only non-matte bronzer in my current top 5 but it's not quite shimmery either. It has almost a semi-frosty finish but I love it because it looks amazing on days when you want to use bronzer in place of blush. It just gives the most gorgeous golden-bronze glow. Burnish would not be good used as an all-over bronzer or as a contour shade, though.

3. Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel Bronzing Base is the only cream bronzer in my collection and I love it because the consistency is like butter. The color is best on fair to medium skin tones because it's not very dark, and while it does swatch a bit orange, I don't find that the orange tones really translate onto the skin at all. It could honestly not be any easier to blend and despite being a cream-ish formula (I like to compare the consistency in the pot to that of a melting chocolate bar), it isn't oily at all.

4. Dior 002 Honey Matte is my baby for two reasons: it cost an arm and a leg and it's amazing! I'm kind of pastey right now and I find that this shade of bronzer is perfect for my skin tone at the moment. Out of all of my powder bronzers, Honey Matte is probably the easiest to blend and gives the most natural and subtle bronze, although it can also be built up. This is also probably my favorite bronzer of the moment.

5. Bourjois Delice de Poudre 52 (aka "The Chocolate Bronzer") is unfortunately, the only drugstore bronzer in my top 5, and even more unfortunately, not readily available in the US. Still, I've been reaching for this one nearly everyday lately because it works really well as a contour and as a bronzer, and while it's technically not matte (it claims to have "glints of sunshine", aka very small and sparse gold shimmer), it applies pretty much matte and looks super natural on the skin. The packaging is also compact and great for travel.

What's your favorite bronzer?

24 comments:

  1. you remind me that I need honey matte and Chanel's brozner in my life!!!!!
    I only own 1, Laguna but I have recently been buying a few more as I need to change it up!
    Thanks for the review. Illamasqua also looks good.
    I cant get Hoola to work on my for some reason =\

    ReplyDelete
  2. You like very subtle bronzers! I think I need to get more like that, mine tend to be too dark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also in love with the Dior Bronze Matte at the moment. I'm curious about Hoola though since I hear good things so may have to try that one sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, because I declare something my loves/faves and in a few months I have found many new and amazing products as well hehe

    I already have the Chanel on my to get list so I am even more excited about it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i will just DIE if i dont get that bourjois bronzer! i've been looking online but i just cant seem to find it anywhere for less than $40 plus shipping from europe to US. it's killing me :(

    very good choices, though! i believe i need that illamasqua duo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list of bronzers. The Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel Bronzing Base is my favorite bronzer of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arghhh I need Hoola in my life and perhaps the Bourjois one too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Dior Bronzer too! And the Nars Laguna is still one of my favorites =) I want to try to Chanel one now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you do a bronzer or contouring tutorial because I am clueless in that dept! :p Nice picks for bronzers because they are something i'd really like as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your picks Tiffany! And now I want the Dior bronzer *sigh* Still need to try the Chanel one, it's been in my list forever, just that I can never get to it as I've been too obsessed with blushes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am dying to try Laguna! I wish NARS was accessible here :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the swatches! I've tried Hoola before, all the way back when I was in final year of high school. You've just reminded me how much I loved it!

    I also really like the look of the bourjois bronzer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These posts are great! I really want to get my hands on Hoola and the Chanel (although Idk if it'll be too light for me since you mentioned..) How come Laguna left your list? Just curious, because I'm interested in getting that too! (what a hoarder! :P)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the look of Dior Honey - it looks like a powder version of Soleil de Tan, which I'd definitely appreciate! I love cream bronzers, but probably use powder ones more often!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i need to buy more bronzers, i don't have any of the one's you've mentioned, i do love laura gellers baked bronzer, i've had it for years and you can hardly tell i've used, will last me for years!

    great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. MAC- Matte Bronze is my all time favorite. It's super pigmented so you need to use a light hand. I love that there is no red or orange tones in it and it's 100% matte

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Lilladylife: Have you tried applying Hoola with a brush like the MAC 187? It'll apply it more sheerly that way.

    @River: I used to gravitate towards much darker ones before but when I got the Dior Matte Bronzer, I noticed how much lighter it was and how much more natural it looked on my skin...I think it's also because I'm really pale at the moment :)

    @megan: I've seen the Bourjois bronzer on the US Asos website before but it might be sold out now. You should check back there sometime!

    @Rainy Days and Lattes: I will!

    @Yu: I really like Laguna too and if this was my top 6, it would definitely be #6! I just like these ones a little bit more :)

    @MaviDeniz: I've never tried a MAC bronzer but I may just have to give them a shot sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've just bought benefit hoola and love it, next on my list is chanel! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Bourjois makeup. Affordable & quality!
    and looking at the swatches makes me want to try Chanel's bronzer... love the color!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. great post, I so want Benefit Hoola haha, it looks so pretty & wearable. I hope its not gonna be too "cool" for me..! The dior looks a-ma-zi-ng color. :))))

    ReplyDelete
  21. can dior honey matte be the contour powder?i am also an asian

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes, it can! I use it for contour all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love bronzers and can't live w/o them in my life. Your top 5 are awesome! I love Dior's honey matte and sad I don't own one (now that they're so long gone). Im about to jump on that Bourjois Chocolate Bronzer bandwagon. I must have it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay, glad you liked the post, Julie! I LOVE the Dior Matte Bronzer. I seriously don't know that I'll be able to find a suitable replacement once I'm done with it. It's just perfect in my opinion.

    I actually ended up throwing away my Bourjois chocolate bronzer a while back. A lot of Bourjois powder products harden more easily than normal from oils and I was getting sick of having to scrape off the top EVERY TIME I wanted to use it. And I don't really have the same problem with any other powder products. It was annoying :-/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...