3.23.2011

Love/Hate Relationships.


When I really, really love something, I never let it out of my sight.
When I really, really hate something, I trash it.
When I just kind of dislike something or I find myself not giving it enough love, I sell it.
And when I just can't decide, I include it in a post entitled Love/Hate Relationships.

Sigma E40 Tapered Blending Brush
NP Set Lipstick in Denver
MAC Lipglass in Florabundance
NARS Sheer Glow
MAC Studio Finish Concealer

Sigma E40 Tapered Blending Brush
I love this brush so much because it's fluffier than my MAC 224 and does a fantastic job at buffing in under-eye concealer and setting it with Bare Minerals Well-Rested. However, I'm surprised it has any bristles left considering how many it decides to leave behind on my face after each use.

MAC Studio Finish Concealer
See those hairs? I have the Sigma E40 to thank for that one. I love this concealer because it provides fantastic coverage (a necessity when dealing with acne scarring), but it can often have a tendency to look really cakey and highlight dry spots if you're not careful.

NARS Sheer Glow
I like the satin finish and oil-controlling properties I get from Sheer Glow, but I can't help but wonder each time I use it why it tends to separate and look ultra-cakey around my mouth and chin area.

MAC Lipglass in Florabundance
Florabundance is such a pretty pale pinky-peach color and I usually get along fine with MAC lipglasses and their stickiness, but with Florabundance I always get this disgusting build-up of sticky lipgloss around the inner rim of my mouth. Even hours later when the lipgloss has worn off, the rim of lipgloss build-up that was created and left behind is still conveniently intact. If my description made it sound disgusting to you, it's because it is. I never wear Florabundance any more because of it :(

NP Set Lipstick in Denver
For my early, early followers, you may remember my post about this lipstick a long time ago. My qualms remain the same, unfortunately. Denver is one of my all-time favorite nude lipsticks - the perfect glossy, pink-nude. The issue, aside from the fact that the lipstick itself is loose at the base and moves around violently when applying directly from the tube despite having never been melted, is that the wear time is like 3 minutes. That may or may not be a slight exaggeration, but it's probably the shortest wearing lipstick I own.

Any suggestions on how I can deal with the issues I have with these products or any love/hate relationships of your own that you'd like to share?


Disclaimer: The Sigma brush was sent to me free of charge for review purposes only. I am not affiliated with this company, nor am I getting paid for featuring it on my blog. The opinions expressed in this post are honest and based solely on my own experience with the product(s).

29 comments:

  1. I have the exact same problem with the Sigma E40!! Urrgh :( This is a great post--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post.
    Thank you for sharing.
    I should do a post like this.
    :D

    xx
    JordanMayTwigs.
    <3

    www.jordanmaytwigs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I TOTALLY get that nasty inner-lip gunk ring too! And especially with MAC glosses, even though I love them. I find it's not as bad if I put the gloss on BARE lips (no balm or anything!) but it still happens. I've asked other girls about this and they have no idea what I'm talking about. Finally, someone to relate to! If you ever find a "cure" please let me know!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on the E40 brush! Love it to pieces, except when the pieces are on my face or stuck in my makeup! I have a Love/Hate relationship with Chanel's bronze universel...it is so soft and smells so good and blends so easily...but I have to pack it on to get it to show up on my skin. Hence why I now rarely use it :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about purchasing the Florabundance lipglass because I love the shade! But I know EXACTLY what you're talking about when you say the inner lip gloss buildup. That happens to be with a few of my lip glosses which I HATE! It's so nasty and difficult to remove >.< *sigh* Might still crack and get Florabundance in the end though.... one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was eyeing the NP Set lippie in Denver just a couple days ago...timely sharing! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have that prob with florabundance too. its the reason why i havent tried out anymore mac glosses. i dont have a cure for you for it! i wish i knew as well

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate when I get a ring aswell. Gross gross gross! :(

    I have yet to try Nars Sheer Glow, there are SO many mixed reviews it puts me off purchasing it.

    I love the Studio Finish concealer but as soon as I've applied it, it leaves a line under my which I have to dab away. Major annoyance!

    Great post!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I seriously look forward to reading your blog each week. Yet another great post. I haven't tried the sigma brush but have the MAC 224 and really like it. I would like a brush that is a little more dense for blending shadow. If you can't find any equivalent for the sigma one, I can check out royal and langnickel or any of the other brush companies at IMATS.
    I have the same MAC concealer but don't use it because it makes my blemishes look super dry. Its just sitting in my drawer.
    Never tried the rest of the products though I completely understand the gross buildup of lipgloss. It doesnt matter if I exfoliate and moisturize my lips that happens to me with almost any lipgloss I use.
    xx
    Alicia
    If you haven't had a chance to already, please check out my "Dare to Wear for Charity". $10 per person who recreates a makeup look will go to help the people of Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmm my e40 doesn't shed too much, but I have to tap the studio finish on with my fingers or else it's way too thick to be applied like that on my skin. I use the e40 to blend more liquid concealers under the eye, or for setting it with powder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really want to try Sheer Glow, although I've come to the conclusion that its very hit & miss! How it separates on you sounds very odd.

    I've had my like/hate relationship with MAC F&B for a fair few months now. It's definitely one I'm retiring to the crap drawer..

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Mitz: It's so frustrating and gross, isn't it?! I will definitely blog about a solution, if I ever find one.

    @bloominbeauty: I love Bronze Universel but it's kind of a light to medium bronzer so it doesn't work as well on darker skintones. You're like NC35 or something like that, right? They should release one in a shade darker. That'd be awesome!

    @AngelicBetrayal: Let me know if it happens to you with Florabundance, if you end up deciding to get it!

    @Justine: I use it for my liquid concealer under my eyes, setting powder under my eyes, and occasionally face concealer (MAC Studio Finish) too, and I find that it sheds during all three steps :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this post I feel the same about Nars looks cakey especially my forehead. I love my Neotrogena Healthy Skin foundation better right now.
    Http://www.mypinktasticlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. great post! I feel the same about the MAC concealer, its so good but I hate when it gets cakey. I did notice however that when I apply it after my foundation its less cakey...still cakey though

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel the same way about Nars Sheer Glow.. as much as I want to love it, I just don't find myself reaching for it all that often :S

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel you on the lipglass. That is one of my favorite colors as well but I don't buy Mac lipglass anymore. It's way too sticky for me and I get the same issue like you do. No bueno. My revlon super lustrous gloss doesn't even do that. haha so weird.

    ReplyDelete
  17. with the nars sheer glow u need to use ur fingers to apply, as with all nars foundations. the warmth of ur fingers activates the propertise of the foundation.
    i'm sure after u've tried using your fingers you won't have the streaking problems :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Julie: I LOVE the revlong super lustrous lipglosses!

    @Anonymous: I almost always apply it with my fingers actually (either that or a damp sponge)! The SA at Sephora told me the same thing you did but it still gets cakey around my mouth and chin :( Thanks for the rec though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tiffany, I have the same Sigma Blending brush and I like it because it's fluffy and oh so great for blending. But it sheds like crazy like wtf! But I still love it though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a really clever post, every girl feels like this about some productss

    for me my biggest love/hate relationship is with revlon colorstay foundation.. sometimes it stays.. sometimes it doesnt.

    again, really clever post !

    ReplyDelete
  21. HI !
    About the MAC studio finish concealer, did you ever try mixing it with some moisturizer ? I have combination skin, and sometimes when I'm applying a cream concealer, i have to mix it with moisturizer. It does the trick (:
    I'm debating whether to get the Florabundance lipglass now. I honestly hate sticky lipgloss and the way you described this one was just disgusting . A shame really 'cause it is such a pretty color !
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Uggggh I was using the same sigma brush to apply my concealer and it looks the same as yours! I know a couple of hairs is to be expected because it's a cream product but it's annoying, especially when you don't want to try and fish them out with your hands! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this post! I get the same thing with the Nars Sheer Glow (I apply with the sigma f80 flat top kabuki). I have been experiencing some dryness around my mouth this winter so I attributed it to that. Now that I have been using an AHA product at night to get rid of flakies it has helped immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post. I'm on the lookout for a new concealer and I think I'll have a look at MAC ones :)

    http://bamboozlebeautyblog.blogspot.com/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think the build up that happens from many lipglosses is one of those yucky things that no one likes to talk about BUT it definitely informs my decision in terms of lipgloss. I think it has something to do with the formulation and what's going on with my lips that day specifically, and it drives me nuts!

    I'm happy I'm not alone : )
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a strong disdain for sigma brushes... but Flourabundance is fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes! I totally get that stupid lip ring gunk too, yuck. No idea how to prevent it though :(

    ReplyDelete
  28. @MonsterManiac: No, I haven't tried mixing it with moisturizer but I will definitely give it a shot tomorrow! Thank you :)

    @Nicola: The worst is when you try to fish it out with your fingers but then you end up pushing the hairs even further into the concealer -__-

    @the Honey B: I actually love most of my other Sigma brushes!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's an interesting blogpost! I have the same problem with my MAC 109 brush, it leaves so many bristles behind, both in my bronzer and in my face, which is so annoying!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...