2.13.2011

Updated Skincare and Swedish Skin.


Basically, at the start of the year, I became fed up with my skin and the lowered standards I had for it. A "good skin day" for me was probably a terrible skin day for the average person, and I was determined to find something that would finally clear up my skin, even out my skin tone, and impart some radiance into it. I decided to take a risk and change up almost my entire, existing skincare routine at once.


Say hello to my new skincare army:
Biore Triple Action Astringent
St.Ives Apricot Scrub Blemish & Blackhead Control
Shu Uemura High Performance Balancing Cleansing Oil Fresh
Carlson Norwegian Cod Liver Oil
Swedish Skin Apply Rejuvenation Serum
Swedish Skin Intensive Anti-Wrinkle Moisturizer
Swedish Skin Anti-Aging Eye Cream
La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo

My Morning Routine
In the morning, I alternate between washing my face with the Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil one day and the St.Ives Apricot Scrub the next day. This way, I end up exfoliating every other day, a frequency that is ideal for my oily, acne-prone skin.

I then apply a thin layer of La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo to my entire face (except for my cheeks since I almost never break out there...knock on wood!), let it settle into my skin for a few moments, and if I'm going to use moisturizer that day, I'll finish off with the Swedish Skin Intensive Anti-Wrinkle Moisturizer.

I pat the Swedish Skin Anti-Aging Eye Cream under my eyes and apply my makeup.

My Night Routine
I first remove my makeup with makeup removing towelettes (I'm not too picky as to which brand it is), then I wash my face with the Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil.

I then give my skin a deeper clean by using about 5 cotton balls total and swiping the Biore Tripe Action Astringent across my face and neck.

After that, I apply a thin layer of La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo and once that's settled in, I massage the Swedish Skin Apple Rejuvenation Serum across my face and neck, concentrating on my forehead and around my eyes.

 Depending on how dry my eye area feels, I may or may not pat on the Swedish Skin Anti-Aging Eye Cream.

The Carlson Norwegian Cod Liver Oil is a part of both my morning and night routines because I take a teaspoon of it with either breakfast or lunch and also with dinner. Cod Liver Oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E, so it's great for your skin and hair, among other things. As with all supplements, I encourage you to do your research before choosing to take it, rather than trying it blindly based on others' recommendations.


***

If you compare my current skincare routine to the routine I was following in my previous skincare post, you'll notice that only two products remain the same: Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil and St.Ives Apricot Scrub. I swear by the Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil and it's the best facial cleanser I have ever used! I'm currently using the last few drops of my second huge bottle (450ml/15.2 fl.oz.) and am sad that I can't afford to repurchase it at the time being, so I'll be turning to Cetaphil for a while. As for the St.Ives Apricot Scrub, it has a cult following and for good reason, although LUSH Ocean Salt will always hold a special place in my heart!

The La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo is one of my new HG skincare products. It's a paraben-free corrective and unclogging anti-imperfection (imperfection= euphemism for blemishes) care that is super gentle and non-drying. I jumped into using it twice a day and didn't experience any dryness or discomfort at all. Rather than being a spot-treatment, Effaclar Duo works to keep your pores clear and unclogged to prevent future breakouts.

I decided to give Swedish Skin products a go after hearing rave reviews about them from Alex. My first Swedish Skin experience before even receiving or having time to try out my products was their excellent customer service

Without going into the details, I had an issue with the package of goodies I purchased and after expressing my concern to them, I received a prompt, friendly, and helpful email that quickly fixed my problem and made everything right again. I later found out that my problem had been the fault of Fed-ex and not Swedish Skin at all, so I was even more grateful and impressed that they were so quick to take responsibility to ensure their customer was satisfied. Based on that alone, I'd be happy to order from them again.

As for the products, I love the Anti-Aging Eye Cream! It's smells fresh and is light but very moisturizing without being greasy. It's creates the perfect canvas for under-eye concealer and powder and retails for $19.99. The Apple Rejuvenation Serum claims to fight aging and wrinkles, increase skin elasticity, even out skin tone, and reduce discoloration and retails for $23.99. It's probably also a result of other things as well, but I definitely have experienced more even skin tone and fading of my acne scars since using this fresh apple-scented serum. Lastly, the Intensive Anti-Wrinkle Moisturizer retails for $23.99 and smells of fresh cucumbers and is light, non-greasy, and great for normal-combination-oily skintypes. It's a nice moisturizer but nothing special, in my opinion. I'd definitely repurchase the eye cream and the serum but doubt I'd repurchase the moisturizer, as I believe I could find something comparable for a more affordable price.

I wanted to write this updated skincare post because, without sounding too dramatic, my skin has done a complete 180 since using this new skincare regimen! My skin has not been this clear, smooth, supple, or even in years...literally years. My only regret is since I started using so many new products all at the same time, I'm not sure where the credit is due.

I believe that my clear skin is mostly a result of using the Biore astringent in conjunction with the La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo, since the facial cleansers I'm using have not changed. As for the vast improvement in my skin's texture and tone, I believe the credit goes to the Carlson Cod Liver Oil and the Swedish Skin Apple Rejuvenation Serum.

If you have any questions at all, please feel free to leave them for me in the comments below :)

Just a word of caution: I'm not a doctor or a skincare expert and while the dramatic change in skincare products didn't cause my skin any adverse reactions and I've greatly benefited from this particular skincare regimen, I cannot guarantee that anyone else would see the same effects or benefits as me. I just wanted to share with you my own, personal experience :)


23 comments:

  1. This post was really helpful! Congrats on finding a routine that works for you ^^

    Mm, I'm trying to take better care of my skin as well because I have oily, acne prone skin like you. I've been thinking about trying some La Roche-Posay items since I've heard many good things about them. But they're quite pricey :/

    My skincare routine at the moment is definitely not ideal because my skin is constantly going through ups and downs. One week I'll have five painful pimples and the next week I'll have smooth skin and the acne scars are all that remain :( When did you start using eye cream? I'm eighteen so I'm pretty young but I think it's better to be safe than sorry ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. My main concern with skincare is finding something that doesn't strip my skin of oil because my face is so dry. I exfoliate once a week or so with the mint juliep queen helene exfoliator and I like using cetaphil cleansers because they are so gentle. I use toner from time to time, but find it doesn't really do anything.

    I love the garnier refreshing gel as a moisturizer. And as for removing I like makeup wipes too, I like the super cheap costco ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to try Swedish Skin ever since hrh collection talked about it! And I heard that recently they reduced their prices? The eye cream and the serum sound amazing! So tempted, but I just want to finish some the skincare products that I bought recently first. I have a few backed up.. -_- Need to stop spending! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post!!!!! i hope ur skin gets better! i know what its like to try so much and receive so little results. I am def going to try the la roche posey item as its popping up everywhere! haha i got swedish skin bc of Alex too. its not bad. def agree about exfoliating in the AM for blemish prone skin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great post. Very informative. I'm going to show my bf so he can try out some of the products.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thx for the reviews! I want to try Swedish Skin as well after HRH talked about it!

    I hope your skin gets better! I know how it feels when one pimple dies and another pimple pops up the next day... haish :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. @AngelicBetrayal: I agree that La Roche-Posay can be quite pricey but I had paid so much more for acne treatments and skincare stuff in the past that in comparison, it wasn't really that much at all and it was worth it to me :) Also, I agree with the better safe than sorry philosophy when it comes to anti-aging products, and I only started using an eye cream last year, although I only used it randomly when I'd remember. Now I use it consistently.

    @Justine: I definitely think oil cleansers are great for dry skin because they cleanse very thoroughly but never strip the skin of all its oil. I'm using the one formulated for oily skin but I know Shu Uemura also has one for dry skin that may work for you. And I know a lot of people say they don't benefit form using a toner, but I've found that my skin actually needs it to stay clear.

    @Edwina: I heard that too but I'm not sure what the prices were before to be able to compare. If you do end up trying out some of their products, let me know how you like them!

    @Lilladylife: Well if you end up trying the La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo, let me know if it works for you! Give it at least a few weeks to see results though.

    @kali: I hope he can benefit from some of them!

    @sormui: I know, so annoying! I finally don't have to deal with it anymore and it feels amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean, i have only just started to look after my skin properley! And it feels so much better for it :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. St.Ives Apricot Scrub seems to work wonders for everyone but me... it's just too rough on my dry skin )=

    ReplyDelete
  10. My skin was doing really well for a while, but has started breaking out again. I think the key is exfoliation. My pores gets clogged very easily and when I don't exfoliate, I start to break out. I have heard a lot of good things about cleansing oils. Do you know whether the MAC or Bobbi Brown oils are any good? I am hoping to go to the MAC warehouse sale next month and I know they have great deals on both of those products. Also do you know if the cod liver oil comes in capsules? Thanks for sharing all of the products and your experience with them. So glad your skin is doing well :)
    xx
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tiffany,
    I've taken Cod liver oil (a different brand than yours) and it tastes so bad that I can barely keep it down. How is the Carlson one?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Lulu: Yay! Our skin can thank us both later :)

    @Gaby: I'm sorry :( I can definitely see how it could be too rough, though. I have oily skin that isn't sensitive so it can take more intensive exfoliators. I'm not sure what kind is best for dry skin since I don't have it :(

    @FunnyFaceBeauty: I've never tried MAC or Bobbi Brown's cleansing oils so I'm afraid I can't be of any help :( I googled the cod liver oil and apparently, it does come in capsule form from Carlson and other brands as well.

    @Anonymous: I have the lemon flavored one and it has the exact consistency of oil but tastes like lemon. It doesn't taste like fish AT ALL so I find it's very easy to take if you can get past the oily consistency :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your skin really doesn't look that bad in your last post photo, when you bared all. That still shouldn't stop you from pursuing perfect skin though!

    Have you considered diet factors? I've a wealth of skincare products which I rotate around to doctor my skin according to how it feels at the moment, but whenever I eat sugar, I'm guarenteed a few spots.

    Also, a good facial brush is good if you need to exfoliate so regularly. I tried the Body Shop one and really liked it (actually wrote a review on it on my blog that you're free to check out :) ).

    Anyway, thanks for such a detailed post!

    Cassie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Cassie: Oh my goodness, yes, I'm sure my diet has a lot to do with it. I'm not the healthiest of eaters :-/ I actually really want the Clarisonic but can't afford it at the moment...maybe I'll check out the facial brush that you use. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually got really terrible service from swedish skin and they cancelled my order against my consent. Who did you talk to in order to resolve your issues and maybe I can talk to the same person? I've never actually gotten such terrible customer service as I did from them and so I really want to talk to someone about it and since they were able to resolve your issues, maybe you can do the same. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @swtlitocherrie: Aww, I'm sorry that happened to you! You should definitely try emailing them about it. I emailed support@swedishskin.com and Amanda from Swedish Skin Customer Support was the one who replied to all of my emails. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the review!! I love your blog! Although I heard a lot of terrible things about the St.ives scrub... I use to use it too but stopped after I heard it scratches your face because the microbeads are not perfectly rounded... just a heads up :) I just ordered the swedish skin product (with their promotion buy 1 get 2 free) and I can't wait to try it out!!!!!!!

    xoxo
    Jessica

    http://ookidoki.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. what are the ingredients in swedish skin?

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Nkay: Which specific product are you asking about? I'm sure you could also email their customer service and they'd be able to tell you also :)

    ReplyDelete
  20.  I tried to see swedish skins product but it's all gone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't find swedish skin products anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think they're out of business now?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi ! Great blog, just came across it :) I've been wanting to try the Effaclar (lived in France before...J'adore their skincare, seriously in a bad way) however I've been told there are 2 different versions? The international/US one has BP while the French one has the salicylic acid...have you come across that before? xx 

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...