2.20.2011

A Matte Bronze.

After I apply my finishing powder, I like to attempt to chisel in some model-esque cheekbones (fyi: I keep chiselling away but model-esque, they are not) and add warmth and dimension to my face, and the only product that seems to be able to do both seamlessly is matte bronzer.

Clockwise from bottom:
Bourjois Delice de Poudre Bronzing Powder #52 Peaux mates/halees
Benefit Hoola
Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel (aka Bronze Universel)
Dior Matte Bronzer in 002 Honey Matte


L to R:
Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel (aka Bronze Universel)
Dior Matte Bronzer in 002 Honey Matte
Bourjois Delice de Poudre Bronzing Powder #52
Benefit Hoola

Technically, the Bourjois bronzer has "glints of sunshine" or gold shimmer in it, but they're quite tiny and sparse that it actually applies more or less matte. It's quite a hard powder (very densely packed) and is the least pigmented and least easy to blend of the three powder bronzers. The difficulty in blendability is really more apparent when swatching it on my arm than it is when I'm actually applying it with a brush to my face.

The colors of Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel and Dior Matte Bronzer in 002 Honey Matte are very, very similar, with the main differences being that the Chanel one is a smidgen darker and a touch more orange, whereas the Dior one is a bit lighter and more peachy. (Note: I am aware that these differences are not very detectable in the swatches above.)

Benefit Hoola is the coolest-toned bronzer and the brownest, darkest, and softest and easiest to blend powder bronzer of this matte bronzer bunch.

The Chanel and Dior bronzers are both great matte bronzer options for light to medium skin tones, while the Bourjois and Benefit bronzers are perfect for medium, and possibly even darker (this is true of Benefit Hoola in particular), skintones.

I prefer matte bronzer to the traditional, shimmery bronzer for contouring as I think it mimics the natural shadows created by your face shape better and looks more natural. Especially if you have oily skin like mine, matte bronzer can be a great option since too much shimmer on your face (if you plan on doing a lot of contouring) can settle into your pores and also make your skin look ultra-shiny and overly luminous (not in a good way!). I usually like to team matte bronzer with a slightly shimmery blush instead, just so that there is still some sparkle but the shimmer is under control.

Are you a fan of matte bronzer?


18 comments:

  1. I bought the Bourjois bronzer a couple of weeks ago. I've always been terrified of bronzer and never used. Having watched a thousand 'how too' vids on youtube I plucked up the courage to try it and I love it! I think a little touch of contouring is going to be part of my faily routine now. Given how pale I am looking at your review I think the Dior bronzer might be a good option for me xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely colors. I have been looking to get some matte bronzers, all the bronzers that I have now are shimmery..thanks for sharing!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, i like matte bronzers but i like shimmery ones too. I have a gorgeous artdeco matte bronzer which is my favourite but i think the elf one is pretty good too and a bargain price. I really like the look of the benefit hoola though although it does look dark. Perfect for holidays though xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the Bourjois one, never really had to many problems with it...i do however prefer the st tropez one!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't often wear bronzer but recently got a sample of NARS Laguna and I love it. It has a tiny about of shimmer in but its a nice non orangey bronzer x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't own a matte bronzer but could really do with one so this is a really useful post. I always enjoy an opportunity to lust over the Chanel bronzer too ;)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post! I don't have too many bronzers, but because of the way you've written about many of them they've quickly become some of my most coveted products!

    I don't think shimmery bronzers work for me, so you've given me an excellent list to try out!

    Thank you!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. i never have tried matte bronzers but these looks great.
    the colors loook amazing.
    awesome post, thanks for doing it doll.<3

    ReplyDelete
  9. what drugstore matte bronzer can you recommend? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. really useful post :)
    I love matte bronzers- I love it for sculpting!! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I'm very interested in the one from Chanel...

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Claire: Welcome to the wonderful world of bronzer! Yes, I think the Dior bronzer would be lovely on you and it actually even comes in a lighter shade as well, I think :)

    @Steph: I've never tried the St.Tropez one but it looks nice! I don't have problems with the Bourjois one when I apply it but I do notice that I have to swipe my brush over it quite a few times if I want a lot of product on my brush, whereas I only have to swipe once or twice over Hoola or the Dior one to grab the same amount of product. I think you can see from the swatch too that it swatched not as smoothly. Maybe it's just mine?

    @Sophisticated Glam: I'm not sure...I've never tried any matte bronzers from the drugstore. Sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your matte bronzer collection.. I have chanel and hoola.. They're both lovely.. But Hoola can be tricky if not applied well..

    I loooooove Korres Monoi Oil Bronzer.. It's such a lovely bronzer.. It's not completely matte but it's not shimmery at all either.. You should check it out if you pass by Korres..

    I have swatches of it here if you're interested
    http://delytefulspeaks.blogspot.com/search/label/Bronzers

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad you've done this post! Not long ago I did a post on my blog, about searching for a matte bronzer! Thanks so much for this :)
    I love your blog!

    xo Leah
    http://leahs-land.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Delyteful Speaks: Thanks for the rec! I've heard good things about the Korres bronzer but people said that since it's moisturizing, it doesn't last as long as some other powder bronzers, which I'm concerned about since I already have oily skin so it may have an even shorter lasting ability :-/

    @Leah: Thank you, Leah! <3

    @johanna: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm still wondering whether to order the Delice de Soleil or Delice de Poudre Bronzer from Bourjois... My skin is light so I'll probably opt for Delice de Poudre cuz' it seems a bit fairer. Thanks for the swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for the swatches. i think i have decided that the boujouris bronzer might be too orangey for me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...