2.10.2011

Dare to Bare.


I saw this challenge on Nicoletta's blog a few days ago and despite having seen similar challenges before, like The Beauty Bite Detox back at the start of the year, I finally feel like I'm ready to post a photo of my bare face for all on the internet to see.


Don't get me wrong - I don't wear makeup everyday, even if I am going out in public (gasp!). In all honesty, even when my acne was at it's worst, I'd still go to class without any makeup on because I didn't really care what people I didn't know thought of the way I looked. I'm very quite secure with the person that I am and let's be honest, I do own a mirror and am very aware of what I look like without makeup on, so there's really nothing anyone can say or think that would be news to me.

What really perplexed me for the longest time was why I was fine with going to class and meeting strangers without a trace of makeup on, yet the thought of baring all (of my face, that is...get your mind out of the gutter!) on my little blog for my readers to see made me so uncomfortable? It all comes down to the good and the bad that comes with beauty blogging, my friends.

Aside from the obvious, which is the fear of receiving the dreaded Anonymous comments saying things that I guarantee, those sad individuals wouldn't ever dare say to your face without the protection of the anonymity of the internet, I think that while beauty blogging and making friends and receiving super sweet comments can definitely boost your confidence, subconciously, you may also start to feel a bit insecure as you read other beauty blogs and think, "She's so much prettier than I am" or "I used all of the makeup she used but I still don't look like that," or another blogger has posted a photo of their bare face and you can't even tell the difference because they're still gorgeous.

Am I the most beautiful person ever? Absolutely not, but I am fine with that and I am happy and proud of the way I look - with and without makeup. Makeup is a hobby of mine so of course, I like the way I look with makeup on because I like learning about new makeup products and application techniques, etc. But, more so than being proud of how well I was able to put makeup on my face, I'm most happy with my actual face. Because it's me. I don't think I look perfect by any means, but this is how I look. This is me. And I love it.

I can put makeup on and take it off but my face will always be my face. If you aren't completely comfortable with the way you look naturally, no amount of makeup will be able to truly make you feel happy or confident in your own skin. Makeup is always the most beautiful when it's used to enhance, rather than cover-up, hide, or change a person.

With that said, I don't wear makeup because I feel lost, naked, insufficient, or ugly without it. I wear it because it makes me feel more confident, more beautiful, and it's one of the main ways I express myself. 

I've always loved makeup but I wasn't able to truly appreciate it and take advantage of it until I was first comfortable in my own skin.

I encourage all of you to join Nicoletta's Dare to Bare Challenge as well and I'd like to know, Why do you wear makeup?


27 comments:

  1. I love your natural lip colour hun. If it were a lipstick i would buy it :)

    I know how you feel about baring your face- I did the beauty detox on The Beauty Bite and was so self conscious, but I think that it's nice to show your readers the bare face side of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are gorgeous just the way you are! Congrats for baring it all for us! I do believe I will have to give this a go myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in university I rarely put on makeup to go to class too, it takes too long and I couldn't be bothered. I rarely see posts like this, but we should see more of them, people are beautiful the way they come naturally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! You look great with or without makeup!

    I totally agree with the no makeup for school thing. I'm fine not wearing a smidgen of makeup on my face to school or outside if I'm too tired or when I just want to let my skin breathe. But I almost always edit my pictures on photoshop to get rid of blemishes when I post on my blog >.< It's a really strange phenomenon.... I will do one of these posts someday, maybe soon ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great without make up & great with it on!

    Showing my face on my blog really freaks me out to be honest, I have no idea why! (I'm just editing an OOTD post, & I chopped my head right off lol) Maybe it's because it's the internet & anyone can see. & maybe I'll be less weird about it a little later on!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tiffany, you're beautiful both with and without makeup (it's your confidence that shines through)! You've inspired me, perhaps I'll have to challenge myself to do this!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look just as beautiful without makeup! :) Really!! You have a really even complexion which is what most girls feel insecure about. You're an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just wanna say you have really white teeth. i'm super jealous xD

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey look, no anonymous comments !! I think you look great and I agree with you. I've gone out without any makeup a lot more often than with it, most of the time I'm so busy making sure I don't crash, my kids don't break anything or I get to where I need to be on time to even think about other people looking at me and seeing all my flaws. oh well !!! I will totally have to do this on my blog - which is super lonely so will you follow it ? LOL shameless plug, I know lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nobody is perfect. :) But I can definitely say, you are beautiful with or without makeup. I so agree with everything you said. I dont wear makeup everyday and I can wear makeup outside without a problem. But I enjoy putting on makeup, it is a hobby for myself too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good and insightful post, Tiffany. :D

    I don't wear makeup everyday and I agree with being secure with oneself.

    Btw, you look good without any makeup on and your lips have a pretty natural pigmentation!

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tiffany, Yaaay you did it good for you. You look great with no makeup on. I love your thoughts on this topic, i feel much the same. Its funny as when you have no makeup on it makes people notice all sorts of other things. It changes from thats a nice lipstick to how white your teeth are or something like that.
    ( By the way your teeth and lips are perfect )
    I'm so pleased that quite a few people have done this mwwwwah xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Triffany..you look great without makeup. your lips and teeth are perfect and so that your smile is pretty and innocent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look gorgeous even without make-up Tiffany! Your smile is the only make-up you need! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you look just fine without make up on! Obviously make up can enhance our features and it's great to play with, but you have nothing to worry about, you look lovely without it. :) I, however, won't be baring all on the web, I wear make up ALL the time even if I don't go out because I don't like how my eyes look without eyeliner and mascara and my skin isn't very nice without some coverage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. you look beautiful without makeup. I especially like your big eyes and perfect teeth!

    I know what you mean about annonymous commentors. I prepare myself for the worse whenever i see one on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now thats what i call an inspirational post!Thats the best dare to bare post i have read so far.I really loved reading your post and your confidences inspired me really. You are a sweetheart Tiffany :) i think you are a truly beautiful person from inside and out, both with makeup or without makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look amazing ! Honestly, the only thing you'd really need is a bit of concealer :O I am super jealous right now =D Honestly, I agree with you. It's a little too much of a hassle, and a little bit impossible to apply make up EVERY day even when you're in a hurry . Congrats on the post xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are beautiful babe. And great post. =^-^*=

    ReplyDelete
  20. OK hun!!I dont know what you think but you look fresh girly without makeup!!I dont see acne I dont see super flaws!!Just stunning!!What ppl can say honestly??lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're so brave Tiff! I love this post. After my acne heals more, I will definitely want to hop on this bandwagon and do a post. <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness! Thank you so, so much for all of your lovely comments, ladies! It means so much to me, and I truly mean that. I'm glad you guys liked this post and thank you all for being so sweet! <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the idea of this challenge! I think that you're very beautiful, even without makeup :) you look very fresh faced, I love it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your skin is really in a great condition!!!
    Me on the other hand, I'm striving to get close to that for months now (any breakout takes months to go away completely), so.. I'll just spare everyone from my flaws, haha! ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the first post I've read on your blog (just stumbled upon it today) and I just wanted to comment how much I appreciate you posting this! It's nice to see pictures of how someone really looks – it serves as a great reminder that we are still all people after all. :) You're cute!

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Caitlin: Aww, thanks girl! That means a lot :)

    @Tina: Oh, believe me, I know what you're going through! Breakouts that take months to heal was the story of my life up until about a month ago!

    @Ida: Thank you so much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This has been such a lovely inspiration! You go on with your bad self girl and show off that beautiful bare face of yours! LIke you, I wear makeup because it makes me feel great and confident. It doesn't define me as person but express it. Kudos love :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...