12.21.2010

Out With the Old, In With the New.

*To people who are sticklers with adhering to makeup expiration dates, look away now.

My first gel eyeliner I ever purchased was MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack, and I was still using the same little pot up until about a few days ago when I was forced to retire it because it had dried out. Then I got to thinking about how it used to perform when it was new and I almost gasped with disgust when I realized that I bought it nearly 5 years ago! FIVE YEARS!

Now I'm not sure what the acceptable time frame to use up a gel eyeliner is, but I'm pretty sure it's a heck of a lot less than 5 years :-/ Looking past the obvious sanitation issues associated with using the same cosmetic product for too long, I know a lot of people have issues with MAC Fluidlines drying out within a few months, so I'm actually really impressed that mine lasted almost 5 years. I guess that's kind of cool, right?

While I was more than happy with how Blacktrack had performed for me through the years, I was itching to try something new. After going back and forth between the Clinique and Bobbi Brown varieties, I finally settled on Clinique Brush-On Cream Liner in True Black.


It's worth noting that a MAC Fluidline retails for $15 and contains 0.1oz of product, while Clinique Brush-On Cream Liner retails for $14.50 but contains 0.17oz of product.

I actually swatched both on the back of my hand but there's no point in including the photo because they looked exactly the same. Clinique True Black had a much more fluid application than MAC Blacktrack, but that is to be expected when comparing a brand-new liner to one that is nearly 5 years old. 

Now is your chance to confess: Have you ever kept and used a beauty product that was way past its prime?


19 comments:

  1. If I LOVE something then yep! I totally keep it until I can't physically use it any longer LOL :)

    Kaushal xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. always wanted to try the fluidline!
    might have to try the clinique one and compare them! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 'll only throw away expired skincare (that's self explanatory).. as far as makeup is concerned, I 'll throw away only if I see a considerable change in texture/smell etc... (mascaras whenever they're dry and not work as they should).
    So, in other words, I did not cringe at all at this, hehe!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I keep mascara way past their 3 month prime..
    If they start to feel clumpy/dry I toss them. I don't think it's bad if it still works!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. Yep I have and probably still will. I'm a die hard gel liner and I must say I just started using Bobbie Brown and love it the most. I love MAC and Clinique but Bobbie Brown makes some amazing gel liners. I only have two but am on a mission to buy them all.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha I would honestly have to say i have a bunch of makeup that has been sitting around or makeup i havent tried at all! I never really think of expiration dates cause usually its the last thing on your mind except like when mascaras dry out!
    hehe I should probably check it out more often!

    Nika x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I generally never finish a product, so it sits somewhere until I decide yep, it's your time to go. I use mascara past it's expiry date on the package, and foundations typically the expiry is just when the SPF expires (if it has SPF).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've kept lipglosses around for a good few years, though I don't think it was as long as 5 XD my friend has been using her mascara for well over a year though

    ReplyDelete
  9. My MAC one has been with me for 5 yrs! I was 19 when I first bought it... I am 24 now!!!! LOL
    It was my very first gel liner purchase :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL I think the problem with most beauty junkies is that we obviously have way too much stuff. Honestly, who's going to wear the same lipstick and eyeshadow every single day when their are dozens of other choices to choose from?! And then by the time we realize they're expired, it's such a waste because we barely got to use them. And you reminded me -I REALLY need to use my Blacktrack. I bought it 2 years ago and have used it maybe once or twice -I'm really a liquid liner girl. =P But the funny thing is I HAVE been trying to be better. Today, I cleaned out 5 palettes to give away.... it's hard letting go of makeup but it's better someone else get use out of it since I know I never will.

    ..But it doesn't help that I just bought a new palette today either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im certainly guilty of keeping cosmetics waayyy too long.
    I suppose if you use a clean brush everytime you use something it isn't that bad :D

    Lou
    x

    //rainbowbuttons93.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, powder products don't really go off, so I have 10 years old powders (Guerlain Meteorites, etc.) and I've been using a few mascaras for more than 2 years and they're still fine, so I will not chuck them out unless they dry out or run out. Same with lip products, if they taste/smell fine, then I don't care how old they are. I think expiry dates are just there to make you buy more products, not because they actually go off. My theory anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 5 years!! lol!! its good for lasting so long, but I think I have eyeshadows and things that are about that age as well... possibly older! I still use them, I cant throw them out because they are shades I cant get again! Ive hit pan on most, but I dont care, its love :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. ummm definitely using the same blacktrack fluidline since last year and it never dried out!!!!! i hit pan and will run out in a few days! can you believe that?!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i've been using my gel liner for a while too! and my holy grail mascara.. six months! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. my first gel liner ws from bobbi brown... must using that since =) after reading th above review... i mite try th clinque one ^^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Im sure I have tons of products in my drawers that are well past their expiration dates.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is the clinique liner waterline safe? I'm looking for something to replace my stila smudge pot which is getting a bit dry...

    I've been very naughty and have kept my Prescriptives camouflage concealor way past it's prime (I've had it for about 2.5yrs.. hahah gross I know)

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Jen W: I *think* so but I have to be honest and say I'm not completely positive. It's opthamologist tested and everything, so it leads me to believe that it is. I rarely ever use gel liner for my waterline though, and I've never tried this Clinique one on the waterline, so I can't speak from personal experience. I'm more of a pencil-eyeliner-on-my-waterline kind of girl :) Sorry I couldn't have been of more help :-/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...