10.27.2010

♥ My Top 5: Bronzers ♥

I've only started becoming a bronzer fiend recently, so my bronzer collection is not as large or diverse as say, my blush collection. However, most of the ones I own, I love but if you have any suggestions for bronzers that I should add to my collection, feel free to leave them in the comments below :)


Clockwise from bottom left:
e.l.f. Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder
Illamasqua Glint & Burnish
NARS Orgasm and Laguna Duo
N.Y.C. Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder
Benefit Hoola

e.l.f. Bronzing Powder
This bronzer is a warm, medium brown that is nearly matte as it has the slightest sheen. It is pretty pigmented and applies smoothly to the skin. While I've definitely been underwhelmed by quite a few e.l.f. products in the past, I think that this duo is worth much more than $3.

Illamasqua Burnish
Burnish is golden bronze with a sheen. I like to use this when I'm not looking for too much color but am opting for more of a golden sheen, which is what Burnish gives me. It has good pigmentation and has nice texture, but the color does not make it an everyday bronzer for me.

NARS Laguna
Laguna is a cult classic and for good reason. It's a medium brown with a subtle shimmery sheen. It is flattering on most skin tones, although I've heard of some people complaining that it looks muddy on their skin. I've never experienced that issue, however, and I love Laguna as an everyday bronzer.

N.Y.C. Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder
This is a matte light to medium brown with slightly orange undertones. I think it could potentially make you look a bit orange if you apply wayyy too much to your face, but in most cases, I find that the color is light and sheer enough on my medium skin tone that it really never happens. While I think it's a good bronzer for $3, it definitely lacks some pigmentation and the powder is not very soft. However, if you can overlook those two issues then I think this could be a good affordable, everyday bronzer.

Benefit Hoola
Hoola is a matte medium brown that would work on cooler and warmer skin tones. I love that it looks so natural when used as a bronzer because it's matte and the color is so flattering, but I also love that it can double as the perfect contour shade. Hoola also has the softest and smoothest texture out of all 5 bronzers mentioned in this post. You can read more about Hoola here.

Left to right:
e.l.f. Bronzing Powder
Illamasqua Burnish
NARS Laguna 
N.Y.C. Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder
Benefit Hoola

What are you favorite bronzers and which ones should I try next?



25 comments:

  1. ah i really want to try the NYC bronzer! Its not in the UK though ): US has all the best makeup haha.
    & i think if you like hoola you would also like Cargo's medium matte bronzer. its almost the same but a tad lighter (:

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like some of the physician's formula bronzers, bronze booster in particular. They aren't too dramatic, on the lighter side and blend well. I like MAC's bronzers too specifically refined golden and golden. I am a bit of a bronzer hoarder because I am so pastey white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohh! I really want Benefit Hoola!
    Great post, thanks for the swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @LaurenStephanie: I'm not sure where to get Cargo products anymore...they used to have them at Sephora but not anymore :( Thanks for the suggestion though!

    @Justine: I've heard mixed reviews on the MAC bronzers, which is why I've been so hesitant to try them. I may have to give the Physician's Formula bronzers a try sometime :)

    @Widdlesh: No problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Hoola and Laguna, Hoola works well as a contour for me and I like Laguna as more of a blush :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. i want hoola so bad but i am so pale! :) it's just so pretty haha x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think laguna is better than the elf one factoring in both the product itself and the price? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been using Rimmel London's bronzer in Sunny bronze to contour. I like it, it's not to dark and not too light (at least on me).

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Vivianna: I sometimes use bronzer as blush as well :) I love how it just warms up your whole face.

    @Emma: I think it could still work on you, though. It's not super, super dark and as long as you apply with a light hand, I think you'll be ok :)

    @FunnyFaceBeauty: I definitely think that Laguna is the better product but when you consider that the e.l.f. duo is $3 and the NARS duo is $39 (and the bronzing single is $32), no, I don't think that Laguna is over 10x as good as e.l.f. Long story short, the e.l.f. duo is better considering both product and price :)

    @Savannah: Sounds lovely! Will have to give that one a go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also like the previously mentioned Rimmel bronzer, but hoola is my baby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the ELF one seems like a great one for only $3!!! i love matte bronzers, my fav are also hoola, and laguna (not matte though). i guess i don't know how to apply bronzer that well cuz sometimes i make myself look dirty, but sometimes i don't. hah. how do you apply urs? tips? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Willworkformakeup - ya a lot of MAC bronzers can be on the tad shimmery, all of mine do despite people saying it doesn't show your skin, it sorta does. They have a matte bronzer too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love love the ELF bronzer..it's really pretty! Love the other swatches too..thanks for sharing them.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Lulu: I'll try to make a post about how I apply my bronzer soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post :) I love my Laguna and Hoola :) I've really been enjoying MAC Golden too. I don't have many bronzers as I find them to look a bit too much on my pale skin tone.

    Kelly x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nars Laguna is to die for! Thanks for the swatches babe! My HG bronzer is MAC's Refined Golden Bronze!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post! I really want to try Benefit Hoola, and the NYC one that I forget to pick up everytime I'm at the drugstore lol. Ever since I stopped tanning I don't really ever use bronzer except in the summertime, I used the one that came out with the Victoria's Secret spring 2010 collection this past summer, but I can't say that I liked it much. way too shimmery!

    ReplyDelete
  18. that NYC bronzer is great for the price.
    at the moment I really like my korres bronzer

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been wanting Laguna for quite a while now but since I just got Chanel Bronze Universel I guess I'll wait a little more before I try it :P looks a great coloir tho, perfect for contouring xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the look of ELF and Hoola the best in your swatches :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh wow i have 4 of the bronzers that you also love too!

    e.l.f. Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder
    NARS Orgasm and Laguna Duo
    N.Y.C. Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder
    Benefit Hoola

    now i want to try Illamasqua Glint & Burnish! hahaa thanks for this post

    ReplyDelete
  22. You should definitely try out Too Faced Chocolate Soleil. It's also matte like Hoola, but a tad darker & it smells amazing ! just like cocoa. try it out ! I use it mostly as a contour.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A friend actually gave me hers a few months ago! I really like it so far too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...