9.22.2010

♥ My Top 5: Makeup Brushes ♥

No matter how much you work on your makeup technique, your application will not be perfected until you get some good brushes. I do not believe that there is always necessarily a correlation with price and quality, as I've used many an expensive brush that still shed like a mofo. These are the brushes I absolutely cannot live without:

Sigma F50- Duo Fibre
MAC 224- Tapered Blending
MAC 217- Blending
e.l.f.- Powder Brush
Sonia Kashuk flat top brush

Sigma F50- Duo Fibre ($16.00)
I love using this brush to stipple in my liquid foundation. It does so flawlessly to give you an airbrushed look, and it doesn't shed at all! You can read my full review here.

MAC 224- Tapered Blending ($29.00)
Harsh lines be gone! The MAC 224 is the best brush I've come across to blend eyeshadows! I usually use it sans eyeshadow and just blend out harsh edges or if it's really necessary, I'll put some MAC Brule on it to help the lines blend out even easier. I use the Sigma E40, a similar tapered blending brush that is much fluffier (you can read the review here), to buff in concealer since I only have one MAC 224 and don't want to have to fuss with washing it every time I put makeup on.

MAC 217- Blending ($22.50)
I use the 217 to apply color to the crease and also to blend out the crease color. I'll usually do a bit of blending with the 217 before bringing in the 224 to really perfect it and make it look flawless.

e.l.f. Powder Brush ($3.00)
I think the name Powder Brush is deceiving...a flat top brush is not what I normally use to apply powder, you know what I mean? I mean, maybe a powder contour shade but that's really about it for me. Plus, it's a bit too big for powder blushes but anyway, I digress. This is my HG brush for applying tinted moisturizer! I just put a dollop of TM on the brush, dot it all over my face, and use the brush to buff it in. Flawless!

Sonia Kashuk flat-top brush ($14.99)
This brush looks similar in shape to the e.l.f. Powder brush but it's smaller and the bristles are softer. I've been using it with MAC Blunt to contour my cheekbones, but I especially love to use it with cream blushes like Stila Convertible Color in Lillium to dab blush to the apples of my cheeks and blend it out.

What are your must-have makeup brushes?


Disclaimer: The Sigma brush was sent to me free of charge for review purposes only. I am not affiliated with this company, nor am I getting paid for featuring it on my blog. The opinions expressed in this post are honest and based solely on my own experience with the product(s).

20 comments:

  1. Oooh!! I see some of my favourites there too!!

    The ELF studio brushes are definitely one of my faves, and the one you mentioned is super super awesome!! I swear by it lol :D

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe i love my sigma angle eye brush :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. God I need to invest in some Mac eye brushes/.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love mac so much but i really cant justify paying 20-40 bucks for a brush.
    i LOVE the elf brushes, way more in my price range.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love MAC 217 and 224. Those are my must have eyebrushes. I have that S.Kashuk too and I find it to be great for cream blush. I haven't used it for counturing but will try it. I love the new MAC 130 brush for foundations or tinted mouisterizers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love makeup brushes. I remember my teacher from my makeup artistry class told me 'You can never have enough makeup brushes'. I try to live my life with that sentiment in mind :)
    I love the 224 and 217 and I agree that a good brush makes all of the difference. I have never tried any of the sigma brushes but I think they will be on my Christmas list this year. That elf brush also looks really nice and the price can't be beat.

    Not sure if you've check it out yet but I have a big giveaway going on right now (9 MAC product, an UD Palette and more).

    Thanks for a great brush post. I'd love to see more
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Steph: yay! I'm happy to hear that!

    @ipehishere: I like that one too!

    @Andrea: You should. I don't regret buying any of mine :)

    @Ivania: Thank you :)

    @julianne: Yeah, I agree they are kind of pricey but they're a good investment since they can last a really long time if you take care of them. elf makes really great brushes that are really affordable, though, so I can see why everyone likes them so much, including myself :)

    @Ansa: I usually use the edge of it to actually apply the contour color then use the flat part to buff it in. I've heard the MAC 130 was really great! Glad you like it!

    @FunnyFaceBeauty: I like that :) I'd always have an excuse to buy more brushes! Let me know how you like your Sigma brushes if you end up getting some...I really like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree! MAC 224 and 217 are awesome. I love using those to blend out harsh lines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mac 217 and 224 and elf flat top brush too! I hate that the elf flat top brush handle broke. I have to reglue it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these brushes:)

    There are some good brushes ( and low price) in The Body shop. I use several and I adore them:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just discovered your lovely blog. Great brush collection! My fave brushes are from Illamasqua

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh I like the look of the ELF and Sonia Kashuk brushes :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love my 224! I would be quite lost without it I think! I really want to try the elf powder brush - it's been put on my wishlist! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. i could not live a day without those two MAC brushes! they're my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Kristie: I know, right? They make it so easy to look like you have perfectly blended eyeshadow on.

    @Miss Nikka: Aww..well it is only a $3 brush, right? I think a bit of Superglue should do the trick!

    @Supergirl: I've never tried TBS brushes before but I may have to give them a try sometime!

    @Penelope: Thank you, Penelope! Hopefully I can save up and slurge on some Illamasqua brushes soon *fingers crossed*

    @SilhouetteScreams: It's funny that they look so similar but I use them for completely different things :)

    @Nicola: You should definitely get it...it's a genius brush for the price!

    @the Honey B: yay! I'm glad I was able to pick out some good ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love elf's powder brush, the bristles are super soft so it doesn't poke my skin like the rest of the brushes, even Mac ones are harsh on my skin, I also have the Sonia Kashuk one and I use it to apply foundation, it is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love elf's brush too! i got the whole set 50% off few months ago and i really think they're worth the money :) oh! i love my MAC 187 hehe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you,

    The information provided through this is really worthwhile as far as the importancy concerned. It helps to improve knowledge about foundation makeup brushes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. the sonia kashuk flat top is my absolute fav!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...