9.23.2010

♥ My Top 5: Highlighters ♥

In my opinion, no matter how rushed you are in the mornings to get your makeup on, applying highlighter is a must. A good highlighter will add dimension to your face as well as subtle, pretty sparkle to your skin. Here are a few of my favorites...
e.l.f. Shimmer Palette
MAC MSF in Soft and Gentle
NARS Orgasm Illuminator
Dior Amber Diamond Shimmer Star
MAC Beauty Powder in Shell Pearl

e.l.f. Shimmer Palette
This highlighter is the best bargain of the bunch. It contains four cream highlighters in a pearly white, peach, golden tan, and pink. It's the perfect highlighter to apply when you're in a pinch, because there's no need for a brush. It blends into the skin effortlessly with your fingertips and doesn't ruin the foundation you have on underneath.
The only downside is that while it appears as though there are four distinct colors in the pan, once applied to the skin, the four shades are nearly undistinguishable. I'm not too bothered by it as it allows me to mix-and-match the shades without any issue and the highlight it creates, whether a color is used alone or mixed, is gorgeous.

MAC MSF in Soft and Gentle
Soft and Gentle is a champagne colored highlighter with peachy undertones. It's a beautiful highlighter that is best applied with a light hand (I like to use my MAC 188) to avoid shimmer overload. (Skin swatches of the powder highlighters will be at the end of the post.)

NARS Orgasm Illuminator
I've seen this illuminator used in place of blush of the fairest of the fair but on me, it's used as a glossy highlighter. It is the same peachy pink with golden shimmer shade as its powder blush conterpart, but applies much less pigmented. A little product is all you need with this as you'll discover that if you slap on too much, it'll take forever for it to dry on you skin. I also find that it leaves an illuminating glossiness to the skin even after it dries that is just lovely.
The color is hardly detectable on my tanned hand, unfortunately.

Dior Amber Diamond Shimmer Star
Amber Diamond is my newest love and I may be a bit biased in saying this, but it's one of the best (if not the best) highlighters I've ever used. I think the reason it looks so gorgeous yet natural on the skin is because the powder is so finely milled and the shade is a universally flattering peachy golden color. You can read about the whole love affair here.

MAC Beauty Powder in Shell Pearl
Shell Pearl was a limited edition beauty powder that I picked up when it was released with MAC's Give Me Liberty of London collection last spring. It's a peachy pink finely milled powder. In addition to having subtle gold shimmers throughout, it also applies rather sheerly, making it the perfect you-can't-really-mess-it-up highlighter. When I'm paler, it can also work as a subtle blush.

Swatches of the powder highlighters (Remember, they're highlighters so swatches are going to be quite subtle):
Left to Right:
MAC MSF in Soft and Gentle
MAC Beauty Powder in Shell Pearl (applied a little heavier to show color)
Dior Amber Diamond Shimmer Star

What are your favorite highlighters?


27 comments:

  1. I LOVE highlighters, its my favourite makeup product & i agree, no matter how rushed you are in the morning,a highlighter is a must! I look so dull and my skin looks dry without it!

    My favourite is by far The Dior Amber Diamond! I also quite like the Prestige Skin Loving Minerals 'Pure Shimmer' highlighter, Its a less glittery more finely milled version of Mac's Soft and gentle.
    That Elf one looks interesting, ive never seen that before. Shall order that tommorow i think (:
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber Diamond looks incredible! I love quite 'in your face' highlighters (I have no shame - I'll pile it on haha). I like a Lancome one I have which is actually meant as an eyeshadow...I think it's in the Café Couture palette. MAC 'Vanilla' pigment is also a favourite, as well as MAD Minerals 'Camisole' and Fyrinnae 'Centre Stage'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might pick up Amber Diamond this weekend -not sure yet though. I bought the ELF one but they didn't include it in my order last time! Was so mad. =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want the NARS illuminator. I have the orgasm blush and lip gloss. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't live without highlighters. I love the look of illuminated dewy skin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @LaurenStephanie: I know what you mean. My skin looks dull and muddy without it :/ The Prestige one sounds really nice. I love Soft and Gentle but it can sometimes be too glittery and chunky for my liking. And you really can't go wrong with the elf one...it's dirt cheap!

    @Beauty's Bad Habit: Haha, I think you can pull off the "in your face" highlighters because you always know what you're doing with makeup! I have and love Vanilla pigment as well! Forgot to include that one :/

    @kali: Are they going to send it to you or will you get a refund?! That's kind of ridiculous :( I think you'll like Amber Diamond, to be honest. Just be ready for your wallet to hate you afterwards.

    @Ansa: If you like the blush and would like a sheerer, non-powder version of it then I think you'd enjoy the illuminator :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @VampiressDoll: Me either as I completely LOVE that look as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh I love highlighters! I need to try that elf one asap! Thanks for sharing doll great reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The e.l.f. Shimmer Palette looks interesting! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great tips, thanks a lot.
    youre such a beauty qwueen.<3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look of that Dior highlighter it looks so smooth and gives a gorgeous glow. I just got the Orgasm illuminator today as one of the Sephora point perks. Can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. omggg Tiffany! I'm totally going to look into that Dior highlighter! Looks like I'll love it toooo! :]

    ReplyDelete
  13. love your top 5's, they are so fun to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree. Highlighters are the best! Probably next to blush :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree. does Nars products work well? never tried it :)

    http://vivalabreee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. @FunnyFaceBeauty: I hope you like it as much as I do!

    @Sharon: I think you'd like it a lot, actually! Glad I could help :)

    @Justine: Thank you :)

    @Rainy Days and Lattes: I'd have to agree completely! A highlighted cheekbone is nothing without a bit of color on the cheeks :D

    @Bree: I like it a lot. It's somewhat sheer but if you're more on the pale side, it may be too pink to act as a highlight. It might be better as a sheer blush on fair skin (If you have fair skin).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've had my eye on the dior one for a while, but the MAC MSF is definately catching my eye now :D
    great post, I love posts like this :D

    http://lovelaughlauren.blogspot.com/ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. have never use a higlighter before but you may have converted me!
    new follower
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love the look of the ELF one, especially since I feel like powder highlights look weird on me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm all for Shell Pearl!! Love that color even as a blush :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That elf highlighter seems to be so cool!
    Amazing!

    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow! too many choices of highlighters! All look great! Wonder which one is perfect for us


    Cheers, B & Liv
    www.blivbook.blogspot.com
    B L I V B O O K: darling&diva ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. where do you apply highlighter? please

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...